PDA

View Full Version : Southern Avenger: Pro-Life Death Merchants

Goldwater
01-14-2009, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhgbcFhLWiU

The hypocrisy of becoming your own partisan label?

Gingersnap
01-14-2009, 10:47 AM
He badly misunderstands the pro-life viewpoint. While a few pro-life advocates also embrace pacifism and consider all human life worthy of protection under any circumstances, most do not.

Most pro-life people see unborn children as requiring a minimal amount of special protection for the duration of the gestation period. This doesn't mean that women should be caged and monitored in case they become pregnant; pro-life people understand that there is some inherent risk in being conceived and that not all conceptions make it to term. Nor do all women take any special care of themselves during pregnancy. Pro-life people accept that reality. They even accept that abortion may be needed to save the life or health of the mother in some cases. Even the RCC has supported this course when it is absolutely necessary.

However, they have deep objections to killing a baby for convenience. There is no reason for a woman to burdened with an unwanted child in our country. She can be sure that almost any newborn will be instantly and happily adopted today (many of them are adopted by Christians, BTW). It's insane that a society would ignore or applaud abortion and simultaneously tell birth mothers seeking adoptions that they are heartless bitches who abandon their children.

This position doesn't in any way contradict support for the death penalty, just wars, or self-defense. This position has nothing to do with global child abuse, starvation, or neglect. It's childish to say that nothing can done to encourage adoption until each and every kid on the planet is safe.

The actor in this little piece should feel really lucky. His mother didn't abort him. I wonder if the same can be said for all his siblings?

Troll
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I like the Southern Avenger. His "There's Nothing Conservative About Our War in Iraq" video is right on up there with the best director vids I've ever seen.

That being said, I have to give a modest rebuttal to this video. While logically consistent, I think he is slightly misrepresenting the viewpoints of those that are both Pro-Life and Pro-Iraq War. If I supported the Iraq War, I would say that the civilian casualties, while terrible, are helping to defend greater (American) casualties down the road.

I would also note that he makes no distinction between the civilian deaths caused by some fault in our troops and the casualties caused by "the terrorists". We might just be arguing semantics here, but I make a distinction between 'accident' and 'atrocity'.

You cannot show me a military in the history of mankind with more regard for human life than our troops have. On the other side, you have people who willingly blow up children in car bombs:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070320203409.spj83omw&show_article=1

So there's two 'civilian casualties' there - blown up on purpose by insurgent cowards. To think that the Pro-Life/Iraq War people would not be bothered by this is absurd.