PDA

View Full Version : Biblical "Diet" Bad, Says Theologian.

Gingersnap
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Biblical diet 'not very healthy'

Ancient Israel was far from "the land of milk and honey," and instead people suffered from the lack of a balanced diet, according to a theologian.

Dr Nathan MacDonald, an Old Testament lecturer at St Andrews University, used biblical texts and archaeological evidence to study the ancient diet. He has concluded that there were frequent famines and people's meals often lacked vitamins and minerals. However, he believes the Bible contains important messages about sharing food.

Dr MacDonald feels his study disputes the notion held by many that the bible provides not just religious instruction and moral guidance, but the recipe for healthy living.

In North America, books based on the diet of the bible such as What Would Jesus Eat? and The Maker's Diet are bestsellers. Dr MacDonald explained: "Though many people have thought otherwise, the evidence is that the diet in biblical times was not very healthy.

The bible has much to say about food that deserves attention, such as the importance of sharing food with those less fortunate

"Except for times of famine and food shortage - which were relatively frequent - it provided the necessary calories, but was lacking in certain key vitamins and minerals." A number of books propound a biblical diet because it is thought to be a low fat, high fibre diet.

"True, many Israelites rarely ate meat, but vegetables and fruit also featured far less than they needed to. In reality, it was not a balanced diet."

By examining human remains from the Israelite period, Dr MacDonald found evidence of iron-deficiency anaemia, consistent with a diet high in flat bread and low in meat and vegetables. He believes pregnant women and children would have been especially vulnerable to malnutrition.

However, Dr MacDonald, the author of What Did the Ancient Israelites Eat? Diet in Biblical Times, said the bible had messages about food that were still relevant today. "The bible never purports to provide dietary advice. Even the biblical food laws serve very different purposes than modern nutritional advice," he said.

"Nevertheless, the bible has much to say about food that deserves attention, such as the importance of sharing food with those less fortunate then ourselves."

In reality, nobody was able to eat "a balanced diet" until around 1950 unless they were affluent. The only dietary instruction in the bible of any interest to Christians is the admonition to eat what people put in front of you and stop acting like whiny babies when other people eat things you think are weird.

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7826163.stm)

bijou
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
In reality, nobody was able to eat "a balanced diet" until around 1950 unless they were affluent. The only dietary instruction in the bible of any interest to Christians is the admonition to eat what people put in front of you and stop acting like whiny babies when other people eat things you think are weird.

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7826163.stm)

Whaaaa! But what about my allergies? ;)

Gingersnap
01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Whaaaa! But what about my allergies? ;)

Pray for benedryl.

bijou
01-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Pray for benedryl.

Nonsense it is my human and constitutional right to inflict my picky diet on all and sundry and make them accommodate me. :D

Not that I have allergies myself, but if I did I'd be entitled.

Gingersnap
01-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Nonsense it is my human and constitutional right to inflict my picky diet on all and sundry and make them accommodate me. :D

Not that I have allergies myself, but if I did I'd be entitled.

I could probably accommodate you in a different way. Perhaps by suppling you with a permanent "visible difference" that involves a feeding tube. :p

noonwitch
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Traditional middle eastern food is very healthy, and tasty. They use spices to give flavor and less fat-olive oil has much less fat that butter or most margerines.

My favorite meal at a middle eastern restaurant is deboned chicken. The chicken is grilled with spices, and served with rice pilaf and a salad. Everything is served with homemade pita bread and strong garlic sauce. It's much better to eat that than a Big Mac.

RobJohnson
01-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Traditional middle eastern food is very healthy, and tasty. They use spices to give flavor and less fat-olive oil has much less fat that butter or most margerines.

My favorite meal at a middle eastern restaurant is deboned chicken. The chicken is grilled with spices, and served with rice pilaf and a salad. Everything is served with homemade pita bread and strong garlic sauce. It's much better to eat that than a Big Mac.

But a Big Mac includes all the food groups! :D

FlaGator
01-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Dr MacDonald feels his study disputes the notion held by many that the bible provides not just religious instruction and moral guidance, but the recipe for healthy living.

Dr. MacDonald... personal physician to Mayor McCheese and the Hamburgerlar

biccat
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Did you know that there are no good middle-eastern restaurants in Iowa? The closest I can get is a Gyro at a local burger joint.

You make me sad noonwitch. I think I might take a road trip back to Michigan for lunch.

RobJohnson
01-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Did you know that there are no good middle-eastern restaurants in Iowa? The closest I can get is a Gyro at a local burger joint.

You make me sad noonwitch. I think I might take a road trip back to Michigan for lunch.

I don't think I can even get an Gyro in this town that I live in....but Vegas is just an hour away!

noonwitch
01-17-2009, 11:08 PM

Unfortunately, but necessarily, the best is no longer. La Shish got shut down because the owner committed tax fraud, and his wife was here illegally.

If you do come back for a meal, I would recommend The Pita Cafe in Oak Park or Cedarland in Dearborn. If you want to eat at a place that isn't owned by muslims, the Ryan Palace, on 14 Mile and Ryan in Warren is owned by Chaldeans. I haven't eaten there, yet, so I don't know the quality. I usually eat lunch at restaurants, so I'm not near my house, I'm in downtown Detroit or the Wayne county suburbs.