View Full Version : US Airways Plane Crashes Into Hudson River

asdf2231
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts/us.airways.crash.2.909535.html

US Airways Plane Crashes Into Hudson River
Plane Lands Upright In Water Near USS Intrepid
Bird Strike Reportedly May Have Been Cause
Witness: 'It Wasn't Wobbling, There Was No Smoke'NEW YORK (CBS) ―
A US Airways plane has crashed into the Hudson River.

A U.S. Airways airplane has crashed into the Hudson River, CBS 2 has learned. The plane appears to be in one piece and passengers are being evaucated by rescue teams.

Officials tell CBS 2 the airplane is Flight 1549, an Airbus 380 that took off from La Guardia Aiport and headed to Charlotte, N.C. There are reports that there were about 60 people on board.

Passengers could be seen standing on the wing of the plane and entering a rescue boat.

"It was just going down further and further and further and then all of a sudden it was gone," a witness named Peter told CBS 2. "I'm shaking, it was crazy. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There was nothing wrong with the plane, it wasn't wobbling, there was no smoke coming out of it!"

There are reports that a bird strike may have caused the plane to go down, meaning a bird may have entered the engine, causing a malfunction.

asdf2231
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
http://img.breitbart.com/images/2009/1/15/ap-p/1584c55b-93a6-4b6f-bc79-57aa435b93c3.jpg

tacitus
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/0/2009/01/15/320x240/jet_down_hudson.jpg

I can't imagine what those people went through. I hope there were no fatalities.

Speedy
01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I can't imagine what those people went through. I hope there were no fatalities.

I was watching Shep's Studio B Show when he broke the alert! I watched the rescue from begining to end. Nothing short of a miracle! No fatalities, bang up job by the pilot and crew. Watched it all live. An aversion of what could have been a horrible disaster!

biccat
01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Word is the incident was caused by an '80s rock/pop band.

SarasotaRepub
01-15-2009, 06:32 PM

LOL!!! A flock of those annoying Canada geese!! :D

Greyt job by the pilot getting them down.

Goldwater
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM

I'm glad no one had to RUN FAR.

Sorry.

SarasotaRepub
01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
So...what are the lawsuits going to say???
Ya know they will be coming...:(

Zathras
01-16-2009, 12:26 AM
So...what are the lawsuits going to say???
Ya know they will be coming...:(

Who will they sue? It was a flock of birds that brought the jet down, nothing anyone could do about it.

wiegenlied
01-16-2009, 05:45 AM
The honor especially goes to the pilot, Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, for successfully landing the plane with minimal damage. It was reported the pilot being extraordinarily calm during the event.

Speedy
01-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Geraldo Rivera on Fox and Friends said that it was the command structure of joint agencies put in place after 9-11 that made this possible. God was a co-pilot on that plane!

linda22003
01-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I saw a funny comment about the pilot on another message board:

“Sully is an Air Force Pilot.
If he was a Navy pilot, he’d have landed on the Intrepid.
If he was a Marine Corps aviator, he’d have landed on Fifth Avenue and made sure all the luggage was saved too.”

lacarnut
01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Who will they sue? It was a flock of birds that brought the jet down, nothing anyone could do about it.

Believe me; there are sue happy people who will hire buzzard lawyers claiming all kind of crap like mental distress, can not sleep at night, nightmares, can not concentrate on work, blah, blah,blah.

biccat
01-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Sue the plane manufacturer - obviously there weren't enough safety precautions on the airplane to avoid flights of birds. They could have put extra engines on the plane, or bright flashing lights to distract birds.

Sue the airport - they should have had measures in place to deter birds from the runway. As Boortz said on Hannity yesterday, some airports have cannons to drive birds away. Obviously the technology exists and wasn't used here.

Sue the pilot - thousands of planes take off every day, but most avoid flocks of birds. Or he should have landed on a road, or tried to reach another airport, whatever.

Sue the engine manufacturer - failing to design an engine that can survive impact with a bird.

Sue the city - they didn't provide a safe landing place for airplanes damaged during takeoff, it's foreseeable that an airplane would need to make an emergency landing, and there was no "emergency landing strip" available.

I'm not saying these would be good ideas, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone would sue for this.

jinxmchue
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
The honor especially goes to the pilot, Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, for successfully landing the plane with minimal damage. It was reported the pilot being extraordinarily calm during the event.

The man rightfully deserves the moniker "hero," though I suspect he will be your usual humble professional who doesn't want to be called that. Of course, that makes him an even bigger hero. I'd say he deserves an award or medal or something, but what can match the knowledge that you just saved the lives of 154 other people? That's 154 badges of honor that can never tarnish.

jinxmchue
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
And such acts of heroism and basic human decency and honor among the passengers! The men are said to have stood aside while a woman and her baby made their way out.

PoliCon
01-16-2009, 02:05 PM
And such acts of heroism and basic human decency and honor among the passengers! The men are said to have stood aside while a woman and her baby made their way out.kinda makes you wonder about the political break down of the passengers . . . .

PoliCon
01-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I saw a funny comment about the pilot on another message board:

“Sully is an Air Force Pilot.
If he was a Navy pilot, he’d have landed on the Intrepid.
If he was a Marine Corps aviator, he’d have landed on Fifth Avenue and made sure all the luggage was saved too.”:rolleyes: And if he had been an Army pilot?

jinxmchue
01-16-2009, 03:33 PM
:rolleyes: And if he had been an Army pilot?

He'd have shot the geese before they damaged the plane.

linda22003
01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Good answer! That wasn't addressed in the post I put here.

biccat
01-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Good answer! That wasn't addressed in the post I put here.

I figured the answer would have been "he would have sent in the marine pilots to clear out the geese"

PoliCon
01-16-2009, 06:22 PM
He'd have shot the geese before they damaged the plane.:cool: I like it :cool:

jinxmchue
01-17-2009, 10:38 AM
:cool: I like it :cool:

*bows deeply*