PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Caused US Airways Plane to Land in Hudson River

megimoo
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Believe it or not, global warming is being cited as one of the reasons a US Airways flight landed in New York's Hudson River on Friday.

Media were considering blaming the incident on the Bush administration until it became apparent that as a result of pilot Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger's heroic efforts, as well as those of his flight crew, there were no fatalities.

With nothing bad to pin on the current President, the good folks at Time magazine found [1]another predictable culprit (h/t Tom Nelson [2]):

Wildlife mitigation is the official term for avoiding accidents like these, and according to the government's latest report on the topic, it's becoming an increasing concern. The report, which was released in June by the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Department of Transportation and Fish and Wildlife Service, found that since 1990, the number of bird strikes has quadrupled, from 1,759 in 1990 to a record 7,666 in 2007. Officials cite a number of possible causes for the increase:

• Most commercial airlines are now replacing older three- and four-engine planes with more-efficient double-engine aircraft. Because these newer engines are quieter, birds are less likely to detect and avoid them. Worse still, fewer engines mean fewer backups should a plane and a flock of birds cross paths.

• While officials use radar and radio collars to track bird populations, habitat destruction and climate change have disrupted migratory patterns.

Al Gore should be very proud of himself.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2166526/posts#comment

Comments:
I am told that this was an encounter with Canada Geese.
In that event:
Just think, If it weren’t for global warming, the Hudson River would have been frozen solid and the plane could have glided in for a perfect landing!
According to Jay Leno it was the pilots fault, he said the Geese were honking the whole time.
"... habitat destruction and climate change have disrupted migratory patterns."
Utter BS.

Environmentalist wackos have gone out of their way to ensure that the sparse weedy wetland areas around the O'Hare Airport expansion project are protected. This makes bird future collisions more certain.

Geese have plenty of places to hang out and airports shouldn't be one of them. Take away the lure and take away the danger. But those libs place a higher value on animal life than human life.

I think Rush predicted they would somehow blame Bush and Global Warming.

Ah, Global Warming, if it wasn’t for Global Warming, it would be fifteen degrees below zero here in Pittsburgh. Instead it’s only 5 below.
The biggest disruption of this bird' migration pattern is that people insist on feeding the damn geese and they have accordingly stopped migrating.
The gosings never learn to migrate.
I think this guy at Time Magazine has been reading FR. I put together a story almost identical to this yesterday. But I meant as a joke! (sort of). It will be interesting to compare the time his was posted to mine. I think I'll do that now.

So how long before Flight 1549 near disaster is blamed on man-made global warming? (birds)
several sources | several authors

Mythic
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
This has to be some kind of joke. That is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard.

PoliCon
01-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Nope. You claiming the majority party uses the filibuster is the STUPIEST thing.

Take a bow genius.You're mommy is calling you.:rolleyes:

megimoo
01-17-2009, 07:17 PM
You're mommy is calling you.:rolleyes:She was in the path of the flight !

Mythic
01-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Nope. You claiming the majority party uses the filibuster is the STUPIEST thing.

Take a bow genius.
Once again I will try to shove something into your small little head. I don't believe that the majority party uses the filibuster. So I would appreciate it if you would stop spamming that everywhere. And compared to you anyone is a genius.

PoliCon
01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
back on topic - these greenie-weenies are too much. Too hot? Global warming. Too cold? golbal warming. Hurricanes? Global warming. No Hurricanes? Global warming. Species endangered? Global warming. Species over populated? Global warming. It's their answer to everything. MEANWHILE - the geese would not have been a problem in the first place except for these stupid ecoweenies and their demands. :rolleyes:

Mythic
01-17-2009, 07:36 PM
If more people had guns we could just shoot all the geese.

PoliCon
01-17-2009, 07:43 PM
If more people had guns we could just shoot all the geese.http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=10178

Ree
01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM roast goose...:)

JB
01-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I blame God.

If He didn't create birds we wouldn't have this problem.

Moon
01-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Global Warming made my hair fall out.

jinxmchue
01-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Global Warming made my hair fall out.

Global warming gave me herpes!

(Keep it going!)

PoliCon
01-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Global warming gave me herpes!

(Keep it going!)Global warming got my wife pregnant:eek:

marinejcksn
01-18-2009, 04:41 AM

We have trouble with near-birdstrikes all the time with our CH-53 helicopters. Back in Hawaii the birds are so bad on the flightline they hire civilian contractors to scare them away with shotguns. Non-lethal, of course because the particular birds are "threatened". If they're so threatened, why are they all over the Marine Corps Base everywhere you look? Seems to me the smart thing to do would be introduce a migratory bird season and allow servicemembers to take game on base in designated areas, thereby controlling the population. Might be a smarter way then blowing tax dollars to pay civilians to scare the birds.

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb jarhead. :rolleyes:

marinejcksn
01-18-2009, 04:44 AM
Global warming got my wife pregnant:eek:

Global warming causes all pregnancies.

Warm climate = females wearing less clothing = man's arousal = rum & cokes to cool off with = busted condom from heat damaged rubber = bun in the oven. It's a scientific fact. ;)

AmPat
01-18-2009, 07:40 AM
If the Wrights hadn't invented that darn flying machine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

ironhorsedriver
01-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I believe that those Geese had been converted to Islam, Although I don't understand why they hadn't got on the Obama love fest bandwagon yet. I just fear when squirrels become suicide radicals. Better tie up your pants legs boys!

PoliCon
01-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I believe that those Geese had been converted to Islam, Although I don't understand why they hadn't got on the Obama love fest bandwagon yet. I just fear when squirrels become suicide radicals. Better tie up your pants legs boys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFjLB4VYSU

SarasotaRepub
01-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Incredible article! :rolleyes:

Down near the Sarasota airport they literally ripped out the
vegetation that attracted birdies to nest. Concern over bird strikes,
birds lose, safety wins.

Gingersnap
01-19-2009, 10:37 AM
This is inane.

Bird/plane interactions have increased since 1990 because that is when airports began to use kinder and gentler methods to deter birds from hanging around airports. Instead of poison and shotguns, they began using noise and visual deterrents. God forbid that Jonathan Livingstone Seagull should be violently discouraged from being sucked into a jet engine.

The difference in noise levels between a 4 engine jet and a 2 engine jet is simply not worth talking about in terms of wildlife alertness. You cannot sneak up on Canada goose with any kind of engine. Ask anybody who hunts.

Migratory patterns for some Canada geese began change long before 1979. Golf courses, parks, open spaces, and friendly humans in suburbia encouraged some geese to remain permanently resident instead of migrating. Apparently free food and a lack of predators overcame their migratory scruples.

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
This is inane.

Bird/plane interactions have increased since 1990 because that is when airports began to use kinder and gentler methods to deter birds from hanging around airports. Instead of poison and shotguns, they began using noise and visual deterrents. God forbid that Jonathan Livingstone Seagull should be violently discouraged from being sucked into a jet engine.

The difference in noise levels between a 4 engine jet and a 2 engine jet is simply not worth talking about in terms of wildlife alertness. You cannot sneak up on Canada goose with any kind of engine. Ask anybody who hunts.

Migratory patterns for some Canada geese began change long before 1979. Golf courses, parks, open spaces, and friendly humans in suburbia encouraged some geese to remain permanently resident instead of migrating. Apparently free food and a lack of predators overcame their migratory scruples.stop confusing the issue with facts!! Were is the negative rep button!!?? :p

wilbur
01-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a bird getting sucked into a jet engine and causing a crash is a problem we should have solved already? We can't design engines that can withstand that sort of thing? What the hell?

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a bird getting sucked into a jet engine and causing a crash is a problem we should have solved already? We can't design engines that can withstand that sort of thing? What the hell? Do you understand how a jet engine works?

Mythic
01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a bird getting sucked into a jet engine and causing a crash is a problem we should have solved already? We can't design engines that can withstand that sort of thing? What the hell?

Well US plane engines can only withstand strikes from birds in the US. The geese were Canadian so of course there was a problem.

wilbur
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Do you understand how a jet engine works?

Oh explain it to me please, with your ever flowing bountiful wisdom. :rolleyes:

All I am saying, is as smart as people have to be to design airplanes, you'd think that in this day and age, that the lives on board aren't at the mercy of a couple birds in the air.... that they should have figured out how to solve it, either by preventing unwanted objects from getting sucked into the engines or by other means.

You really are a tool.

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh explain it to me please, with your ever flowing bountiful wisdom. :rolleyes:

All I am saying, is as smart as people have to be to design airplanes, you'd think that in this day and age, that the lives on board aren't at the mercy of a couple birds in the air.... that they should have figured out how to solve it, either by preventing unwanted objects from getting sucked into the engines or by other means.

You really are a tool. The only way to stop the birds getting sucked in is to shield the front of the engine - trouble is any kind of shielding would keep the birds out would either slow air flow into the engine and thus make it either extremely inefficient or stop it working all together. These thing create enough suction that they can suck a full grown man.

I understand your point dick breath - I was just trying to help you out. FORGIVE ME for treating you like a human being. You are such an asshole leftists it's not even funny. You always assume that people are going to treat you the way that you would treat them.

megimoo
01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a bird getting sucked into a jet engine and causing a crash is a problem we should have solved already? We can't design engines that can withstand that sort of thing? What the hell?All of the larger engines are required to pass tests to prove that they can ingest a full size goose but these Short haul jets use smaller engines and can choke on a large size boid !BTW Whatever happened to that tact and patience you have been famous for for soo long Willi ?

Gingersnap
01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like a bird getting sucked into a jet engine and causing a crash is a problem we should have solved already?

It's just you. This has been an expensive, lethal, and devilish problem since jet engines were developed. Millions have been spent on R&R to solve this problem since many more millions are lost with every bird/plane intersect.

Back when we had common sense, airports were "no fly" zones for birds through poison baiting and direct killing.

There is currently no way to shield the intake on a jet engine while simultaneously allowing enough air intake to efficiently drive the fuel/air combustion process.

Do you seriously think that jet owners and designers are just lazy or stupid? Who would destroy a million dollar engine because he or she couldn't be bothered to install a cheap and effective screen? :rolleyes:

Lars1701a
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
The only way to stop the birds getting sucked in is to shield the front of the engine - trouble is any kind of shielding would keep the birds out would either slow air flow into the engine and thus make it either extremely inefficient or stop it working all together. These thing create enough suction that they can suck a full grown man.

I understand your point dick breath - I was just trying to help you out. FORGIVE ME for treating you like a human being. You are such an asshole leftists it's not even funny. You always assume that people are going to treat you the way that you would treat them.

Dick breath I have to write that one down. :D

Can I use that one?

wilbur
01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
The only way to stop the birds getting sucked in is to shield the front of the engine - trouble is any kind of shielding would keep the birds out would either slow air flow into the engine and thus make it either extremely inefficient or stop it working all together. These thing create enough suction that they can suck a full grown man.

Well, if I misunderstood the connotation of your post, I apologize... but we have no way of evaluating the tones or connotations of each others words, like we would in real life, face to face.... so one can really only take into account the others greater board personality.... and yours is the kind that would take the tone I assumed, more often than not.

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Dick breath I have to write that one down. :D

Can I use that one?thats an old one. feel free.

wilbur
01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
It's just you. This has been an expensive, lethal, and devilish problem since jet engines were developed. Millions have been spent on R&R to solve this problem since many more millions are lost with every bird/plane intersect.

Back when we had common sense, airports were "no fly" zones for birds through poison baiting and direct killing.

There is currently no way to shield the intake on a jet engine while simultaneously allowing enough air intake to efficiently drive the fuel/air combustion process.

Makes sense, but it simply seems like something that would be solvable in other ways besides just a sheild... engine internals more resistant to chunks of things polluting the system, etc.

Do you seriously think that jet owners and designers are just lazy or stupid? Who would destroy a million dollar engine because he or she couldn't be bothered to install a cheap and effective screen? :rolleyes:

Maybe not lazy or stupid... but the cost of solving problems can sometimes be more than the cost of not solving them.... at least from some perspectives.

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, if I misunderstood the connotation of your post, I apologize... but we have no way of evaluating the tones or connotations of each others words, like we would in real life, face to face.... so one can really only take into account the others greater board personality.... and yours is the kind that would take the tone I assumed, more often than not.I only take the condescending tone with idiot leftists. Or when I'm tormenting someone about their crappy football team.

Lars1701a
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I only take the condescending tone with idiot leftists. Or when I'm tormenting someone about their crappy football team.

Just when you start not acting like a douche you have to plunge right back in :p

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Just when you start not acting like a douche you have to plunge right back in :pThe best way to take care of a smelly bush is to DOUCHE it up. :p

AmPat
01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Makes sense, but it simply seems like something that would be solvable in other ways besides just a sheild... engine internals more resistant to chunks of things polluting the system, etc.
Maybe not lazy or stupid... but the cost of solving problems can sometimes be more than the cost of not solving them.... at least from some perspectives.

When the tree huggers and enviro-wiennies got into power in gov't positions, common sense left the building quicker than Elvis.

When the cost in human lives outwieghs "Birds Rights" we will see some common sense and practical solutions at our airports.

The engines can be shielded somewhat but not entirely. The combustion section can incorporate a seperator but that isn't 100% either. Any restriction to airflow reduces power and fuel efficiency.

Next thing we'll hear is the greenies bitching about the safer yet inefficient engines.

Odysseus
04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
... These thing create enough suction that they can suck a full grown man.

It's called the "Lewinsky Effect" when that happens. :D

Zathras
04-27-2009, 03:31 AM
These thing create enough suction that they can suck a full grown man.

As demonstrated in the following video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJf1okwb-5Y