PDA

View Full Version : Bush Commutes Sentences Of Ex-Border Patrol Agents

alaskamomma
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
On his last full day in office, President Bush commuted the controversial sentences of two former Border Patrol agents convicted of shooting a Mexican drug runner in 2005.

The imprisonment of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean had sparked outcry from critics who said the two men were just doing their jobs and were punished too harshly. They had been sentenced to 11- and 12-year sentences, respectively.

Their prison sentences will now expire on March 20 of this year.

The two were sentenced in connection with the shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, who was shot in the buttocks while trying to flee along the Texas border. He admitted smuggling several hundred pounds of marijuana on the day he was shot and pleaded guilty last year to drug charges related to two other smuggling attempts.

Nearly the entire bipartisan congressional delegation from Texas and other lawmakers from both sides of the political aisle pleaded with Bush to grant them clemency.

.http://www.foxnews.com/

Breaking now.
good news:cool:

tacitus
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Good for him!

aerojarod
01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
About freaking time already!

Glenn Beck is going to be happy to hear this, he's been one of their biggest advocates.

linda22003
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
They're border agents, not boarder agents, but it's a very good decision.

marinejcksn
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Glenn Beck is going to be happy to hear this, he's been one of their biggest advocates.

Beck's where I first learned about the case for Ramos & Compean. Thank the good Lord above, he did the right thing! This is excellent news. :D

alaskamomma
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM

all right, I was excited when I wrote it..

if you can, could you fix it for me, thanks

Zathras
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
On his last full day in office, President Bush commuted the controversial sentences of two former Border Patrol agents convicted of shooting a Mexican drug runner in 2005.

The imprisonment of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean had sparked outcry from critics who said the two men were just doing their jobs and were punished too harshly. They had been sentenced to 11- and 12-year sentences, respectively.

Their prison sentences will now expire on March 20 of this year.

The two were sentenced in connection with the shooting of Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, who was shot in the buttocks while trying to flee along the Texas border. He admitted smuggling several hundred pounds of marijuana on the day he was shot and pleaded guilty last year to drug charges related to two other smuggling attempts.

Nearly the entire bipartisan congressional delegation from Texas and other lawmakers from both sides of the political aisle pleaded with Bush to grant them clemency.

.http://www.foxnews.com/

Breaking now.
good news:cool:

Good news yes...but about 1 year too late in my opinion. These 2 men should not have served one day in prison.

megimoo
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
all right, I was excited when I wrote it..

if you can, could you fix it for me, thanks
Don't let Numbers the spelling Nazi get to you ,she was beaten as a child in the Gulags ! (note - sentences were commuted, not a pardon)It wasn't a pardon as your post noted .They will be released from prison but their prison records stand.They will not be able to resume their former work as they are convicted felons .They can apply for a full pardon in the future but I doubt they will receive one.

bluemeenie
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Darn....I thought I would be the first to post this. :(

This is excellent news, I thought for sure he would go and do something stupid like commute Goege Ryan over these guys.

(though he still might disappoint and commute Ryan)

biccat
01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I find myselt yet again disappointed in Bush's decision to commute sentences instead of granting a full pardon.

edit: Better than nothing I suppose.

rjas77
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
They should have received a full Pardon.

Kristin
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
It's about time. Why not pardon them? A Commuted sentence is better than nothing but this conviction will still haunt them for the rest of their lives.

aerojarod
01-19-2009, 03:15 PM
They deserved some punishment for tampering with a crime scene, unlawful use of force maybe... but again, time served about a year ago would have been enough in my opinon.

Sonnabend
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
They deserved some punishment for tampering with a crime scene, unlawful use of force maybe.

Which I would venture, is why they were commuted, and not pardoned.The decision makes sense in this context..the President made a good call.

The prison time was way over the top...but they were not angels either.

He did it right.

YupItsMe
01-19-2009, 03:25 PM

How do you know that they don't help people who own rooming houses find clients. Could be, they could be doing that from prison even. :p

lacarnut
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
How do you know that they don't help people who own rooming houses find clients. Could be, they could be doing that from prison even. :p

This could have broad implications. :rolleyes:

I wish Bush had given them a pardon. I hope that the chicken-shit US attorney that railroaded them gets his one day.

Puro Fan
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I find myselt yet again disappointed in Bush's decision to commute sentences instead of granting a full pardon.

edit: Better than nothing I suppose.

Agreed.

However, considering President Bush's pardon of John Allen Aregood, the lack of a full pardon for Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean is disheartening.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6179943.html

Lars1701a
01-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I assumed that DU would have pitched a bigger bitch then they have.

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM

AMEN and AMEN!!

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
unlawful use of force maybe... we need more people on the boarder willing to shoot drug runners in the ass.

Apocalypse
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
He did finally pardon them. But did any one notice they were the last and only ones to be pardoned.

Libby didn't get a pardon. And wont

Among others Bush wouldn't pardon that had asked were.

Michael Milken; junk-bond king.
Conrad Black
George Ryan; former Illinois GOP governor.
Edwin Edwards; former Louisiana Democratic governor.
Ted Stevens; Alaska Sen.

PoliCon
01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
He did finally pardon them. But did any one notice they were the last and only ones to be pardoned.

Conrad Black
Ted Stevens; Alaska Sen. funny that Bush didn't pardon the actually and factually corrupt and criminal. A dem would have - for the right amount donated to their presidential library of course. :PUKE:

lacarnut
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM

Conrad Black
Ted Stevens; Alaska Sen.

I am glad that Edwin Edwards did not get one. I can not believe how many prominent politicians in this state including Repubs wanted to see this crook pardoned. Out of that bunch, Libby should have been pardoned.

SaintLouieWoman
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM

So has Laura Ingraham. It's a shame he waited this long. Now hope he'll help Scooter Libby.

jeskibuff
01-19-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm wondering what took so long. I thought these 2 should have been at the very top of the list. Instead, we hear about drug dealers and such. There has to be more to this story than meets the eye. I trusted that GWB would do the right thing, but it seems like he only did it because of pressure from various groups, like WND.

Apocalypse
01-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Out of that bunch, Libby should have been pardoned.
But here is the ultimate for the Dummies. They have since the whole mess over the V. Plane deboco broke, been swearing up one side and down the other that Libby would be pardoned. Well, its done now and he wont. I wonder what they are all saying now that what the "Knew!!" didn't come to pass as Bush didn't pardon him.

Gingersnap
01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
This is such great news even if it isn't a pardon!

A talk guy out here named Peter Boyles has really been stoking the fires over both the convictions and the need for full pardons. All those national talkers picked the story up from him and WND.

I still don't see why they have to wait until march, though. :(

GrumpyOldLady
01-20-2009, 10:18 AM
It should have been a FULL PARDON.

And the fact that he did it on a day that the news would be covering everything else so this would be hush-hush ... stinks.

lacarnut
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
It should have been a FULL PARDON.

And the fact that he did it on a day that the news would be covering everything else so this would be hush-hush ... stinks.

Stinks is not a strong enough word. George is more concerned about his legacy than average Joe citizen.

cat714
01-20-2009, 08:08 PM

No sh*t! I was starting to think he wasn't going to do it. This is great news.