PDA

View Full Version : a "new Declaration of Independence."

patriot45
01-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Some one from Canada gets it! He realyl does not hide how much he wants the govenment to be our nanny!

Hes got high hopes (http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/7722)

Obama Thinks Original Declaration of Independence Not Good Enough?
By Warner Todd Huston Monday, January 19, 2009

In his Saturday remarks during his campaign train ride, President-elect Barack Obama issued some soaring rhetoric about the state of the country today. At least the Old Media thought it was soaring rhetoric, anyway. Typically, the media was overawed by his mellifluous tones, of course. But during these remarks in Baltimore Obama made a startling suggestion. He said we need a “new Declaration of Independence.”

Apparently the original one isn’t good enough for the new president, but it also seems a silly rhetorical flourish. After all, what is it that we are declaring independence from this time? Recall that the original one was a declaration of separation from an oppressive monarchy, one that led to a seven-year-long war. Are we in such dire straits now?

And, needless to say, it is also amazing the Old Media didn’t jump all over Obama for this conceit. Can you imagine the media giving a pass to a Republican that proposed making a new Declaration of Independence? Doubtless they would attack a Republican mercilessly for suggesting the original Declaration was out of date or no longer applicable — as well they should.

Here are the excerpted remarks from Obama’s January 17 speech concerning the Declaration.

We are here today not simply to pay tribute to those patriots who founded our nation in Philadelphia or defended it in Baltimore, but to take up the cause for which they gave so much. The trials we face are very different now, but severe in their own right. Only a handful of times in our history has a generation been confronted with challenges so vast. An economy that is faltering. Two wars, one that needs to be ended responsibly, one that needs to be waged wisely. A planet that is warming from our unsustainable dependence on oil.

And yet while our problems may be new, what is required to overcome them is not. What is required is the same perseverance and idealism that those first patriots displayed. What is required is a new declaration of independence, not just in our nation, but in our own lives - from ideology and small thinking, prejudice and bigotry - an appeal not to our easy instincts but to our better angels.

That is the reason I launched my campaign for the presidency nearly two years ago. I did so in the belief that the most fundamental American ideal, that a better life is in store for all those willing to work for it, was slipping out of reach. That Washington was serving the interests of the few, not the many. And that our politics had grown too small for the scale of the challenges we faced.

But I also believed something else. I believed that our future is our choice, and that if we could just recognize ourselves in one another and bring everyone together - Democrats, Republicans, and Independents, north, south, east and west, black, white, Latino, Asian, and Native American, gay and straight, disabled and not - then not only would we restore hope and opportunity in places that yearned for both, but maybe, just maybe, we might perfect our union in the process.

Let’s review Obama’s claims in these few paragraphs, shall we?

Ringo
01-20-2009, 10:29 AM
And yet his approval rating in Canada is over 80%

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS287US287&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=obama+approval+rating+canada&spell=1

BadCat
01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Good. He can go be the President of Canada.

Ringo
01-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Good. He can go be the President of Canada.

I believe his approval rating is doing pretty well here in the states as well.

BadCat
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM

He's not the president yet.
Any "approval rating" he has is meaningless.

Ringo
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
He's not the president yet.
Any "approval rating" he has is meaningless.

In 20 minutes he will be president, are you ignorant enough to think his rating will tankt in an hour ?

Bongo55
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes I do, fucking idiot can't even get thru the oath of office without screwing it up.

Elspeth
01-20-2009, 01:26 PM

There's a lot of propaganda out there right now. It's easy to have a high approval rating when you haven't done anything yet and the press gives you a nice honeymoon. (This is typical of most presidents taking office.) Obama has the additional thrust of being an example of America's evolution away from racism and most Americans want to feel good now.

Let's give it a few months. Eventually he is going to have to make a hard decision that will alienate some people. It always happens with every president.

Constitutionally Speaking
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
In 20 minutes he will be president, are you ignorant enough to think his rating will tankt in an hour ?

Probably not - even in his omnipotence, he cannot fuck things up that quickly. But he will.

Sonnabend
01-21-2009, 03:10 AM

For now.

He has just been sworn in .Let's see what happens when they find out his middle name isn't Godot.

(and I am betting you won't get that reference without Google)

AmPat
01-21-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm already sick of his hyperbole. Apparently, things are so bad that even Obama cannot screw things up. The DIMS will repeat this forever. He either PRESIDES when the economy turns around on its own and gets credit for it or it is broken so bad he cannot be held accountable for the State of The Union.

Where are the atheists and the rest of the liberals screaming because of his reference to Scripture? Only FUNDYS are attacked, not fellow liberals.
Why no outcry from the left for this grievious attack on the state by the Church? He's a Liberal/DIM-he gets a pass.
Where is the press to soundbite the Obama gaff during the Oath of Office? Don't hold your breath.
Will this gaff make the liberal comedy scene of Great American Speeches? Doubtful.