PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here know much about MRSA?

Scarlet
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
I have it. I have had it for about four and a half weeks. On antibiotics. I had to go to 4 Dr.s to find out what it was.
________
CHEAP GLASS PIPES (http://glasspipes.net/)

Gingersnap
01-20-2009, 04:38 PM
It's a staph infection. A really, really serious staph infection.

Are they giving you vancomycin?

Scarlet
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
No. I am taking sulfamethoxazole 3 times a day. And bacteran on the infection site 4 times a day. It seems to be getting smaller but very slowly.
I had to have a pediatrician diagnose it at my daughters appt.
________
Depakote settlement (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/depakote/)

Gingersnap
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
No. I am taking sulfamethoxazole 3 times a day. And bacteran on the infection site 4 times a day. It seems to be getting smaller but very slowly.
I had to have a pediatrician diagnose it at my daughters appt.

Well, if the treatment is working, it's working. Did the doc do a culture to make the diagnosis? I'm pretty sure that's the only way to tell.

Scarlet
01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
No culture. She was mad that the other Dr did not culture it when it was in the blister stage. I am just still real tiered all the time. I just want to feel normal. I was very healthy before this happened.
A few of the teachers where I work made me feel like I had a Airbourn STD!
________
Depakote Injury Lawyer (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/depakote/)

Gingersnap
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
No culture. She was mad that the other Dr did not culture it when it was in the blister stage. I am just still real tiered all the time. I just want to feel normal. I was very healthy before this happened.
A few of the teachers where I work made me feel like I had a Airbourn STD!

All bad infections make you feel tired and loopy. I had a vicious one in my hand a few years ago. The things is, infections get knocked out pretty quickly when you are given the right medicine (assuming you're otherwise healthy). By "quickly", I mean you feel a lot better in about 24 hours.

You might want to have somebody culture it. That way, they can pin down the bug exactly and make sure that you are on the right stuff.

Lurkalot will probably be on later. She's a medical type herself and she can probably give you some excellent advice.

The school was nervous because MRSA can spread like wildfire and it can be very difficult to treat.

hmac
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Depending on how long you had the infection and when you started treatment can determine how quickly you will heal. If you waited awhile before starting antibiotics, then it could be pretty severe. It can cause a fever and cause you to feel tired. Some antibiotics can help you feel better within a couple of days. If it looks like it's closing up and healing then it's working. Bacterial infections are nasty and MRSA is the hardest to treat because it's so resistent to treatment. If it looks like you have puss accumulating, you may still feel sick and you should go get it drained. They just make a small incision so it can drain. Keep it covered and clean it often as directed by your physician. Make sure you get it checked so you know it's healing the way it should. I hope you have a follow up check up.

One of my friends got it from the gym. It's sooo contagious...and if you don't get it treated quickly it can cause death. That's how serious it is.

I have it. I have had it for about four and a half weeks. On antibiotics. I had to go to 4 Dr.s to find out what it was.

lurkalot
01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
okay kiddies, auntie lurky is gonna tell a story
once upon a time, not that long ago, the germs started a little uprising and mutated and learned how to feed off antibiotics by having a viral infection treated with a penicillan, or people not finishing their entire dosage so that the germ turned around and won, those type of little skirmishes. The germs got bigger and they got meaner and people who were in hospital ICU's and babies and old people started dying from stuff they wouldn't have died from before. so the drug companies invented METHACILLAN (ta da noise here) this antibiotic was so damn mean it was the Rambo of the antibiotics..it could kill a germ by looking at it. And all was well again in the happy medical world. But then one lone crazed vigilant germ called STAPH (boo hiss here) which exists on everyone and everywhere kept a close watch on things. And if the person was on a ventilator or had multiple surgeries or had an immune deficiency from chemo ..that Staph jumped in...and watched and listened...and learned, and sure enough, one day someone screwed up and gave Methacillan antibiotics and Staph learned..and learned...and learned (translation for Bubba Dawg: someone stole the other team's playbook). and in the hospitals it grew to be..METHACILLAN RESISTANT STAPHACOCCUS AUREUS or MRSA for short..and it was EVIL! Because Methacillan was expected to be the savior of us all, and now it isn't..so they invented a couple more antibiotics (which have now developed their own little resistant bugs but thats another story to scare you with on another camping trip).
MRSA began to run rampant in hospitals...touch a patient..touch their table...grandkids come to visit and touch the table... guess what just walked out the door???? Yup, it got out of the hospital and it loves to sit on inert surfaces like shopping cart handles and door knobs and wait ..and wait..this is a very patient germ...
so now we have Community Acquired MRSA which means you dont have to be in the hospital to get it. And it spreads like wildfire. And it will go to your lungs, or in between layers of your skin, or though your whole system in a matter of hours depending on your immune system. Most common symptom is a blistery yucky red pus filled area that just won't go away, so after you have touched everything in the community, you go to the doctor. He prescribes sulfa antibiotics and antibiotic ointment (old fashioned early antibiotic stuff that MRSA never learned about before because MRSA doesnt study history).
A culture is the only definite way to know for sure its MRSA, but most doctors will begin treating when it looks like it is, simply to stop it immediately from being contagious. But, once you start antibiotics a culture doesn't work so good because all it shows in the petri dish is a little blog of germ soldiers laying around.
It can be airborne..if you get MRSA pneumonia, most likely associated with being on a ventilator.
But yes, the school should panic! Seemingly healthy teens have died in a matter of hours. I know a woman who lost her healthy fifteen year old son within a week.
SO WASH EVERYTHING! DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO BE IN CONTACT WITH THE AREA! If it is draining keep it dry and covered at all times...

And those sanitary wipes now available at grocery store cart areas..USE THEM!

Gingersnap
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Crap. I thought I had the board award for Intense Paranoia Based In Fact. :eek:

I'm guessing that if you work in a school you should maybe take some sick time until this thing is resolved.

lurkalot
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Crap. I thought I had the board award for Intense Paranoia Based In Fact. :eek:

I'm guessing that if you work in a school you should maybe take some sick time until this thing is resolved.

Actually in this case, your intense and often meaningless paranoia is warranted! I've been working around MRSA and its cohorts since about 1998 when it started popping up, so am a bit casual about it. But I take precautions and one of the little bug's first words was "hand tanitizer".....

Gingersnap
01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Actually in this case, your intense and often meaningless paranoia is warranted! I've been working around MRSA and its cohorts since about 1998 when it started popping up, so am a bit casual about it. But I take precautions and one of the little bug's first words was "hand tanitizer".....

I hate all that stuff. I throw it out when I see it at work. Bleach/fire - yes. "Sanitizing" anything - no.

I put in my time in clinical labs with infectious diseases. Ick. We had a secretary get anthrax opening the mail from some retard who sent his soil sample to us in a freaking envelope. :rolleyes:

Fire. Severe acids or bases. Better living through destructive chemistry.

Scarlet
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all your help and information. I had the worst of it over christmas break. It is on the back of my elbow and did not hurt at first. I had no idea it was there until my daughter told me "Mom, that burn on your arm looks pretty bad. I thought it was a spider bite when within hours it started turning purple and blistering. My Dr. was out of town so I had to go to an urgent care. I saw a P.A. and he seemed to give me the feeling that I was overeacting. I had to ask for antibiotics. He gave me keflex. Things just got worse. Five days later, after joint pain set in, I went to a Dr. at the clinic my Dr. owns. She was about 70. She said finish the keflex and come back and if it is still not better I'll refill it. Oh, BTW, they both told me to keep open so it drain and dry up to form a scab.:confused: I never went without a bandage on it. It was a freaking hole! I knew there was something wrong besides an infected spider bite so I went to another Urgent care and was told by a P.A. that keflex was the best thing for skin infections, give it time.

School started and I went the first day, I showed my teacher I work for, she oh wow that looks like a bad spider bite. My daughter had an app. at pediatrician that afternoon. Before I left I showed her what it looked like. She diagnosed it from across the room. She was one mad little Dr. when I told her the whole story. I had been in her office about 12 days before and she commented on how tired I looked.
She perscribed sulfamethoxazole and mupirocin ointment. Antibiotics are done, I'm still treatig the "gunshot wound", thats what we started calling it. I have also been treating my nose with the ointment.

After the Dr O.K.ed me back to work I made sure I kept my area clean. And I stay at one table and work with two autistic boys. I work 3 hrs. a day.

I'm just a bit mad about the missdiagnosis. Thanks again for the information and help. And just for listening. For awhile I felt like I was being looked at as a dirty kind of person. It was hard to talk to people about, but I had to tell them if I was going to be around them. Sorry so long.
________
CHEVROLET UPLANDER (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Uplander)

Gingersnap
01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
We're just glad to hear that you are feeling better. Infections are nasty situations. If a person has never had a really serious infection, it can be hard for them to understand just how rotten it can make you feel.

Be sure to start eating a lot of yogurt. That's the only way I could get my appetite back (it also restores the good "bugs" the medicine wiped out). :)

Jumpy
01-21-2009, 06:36 PM
My son had it over a year ago. He had a brushburn on his knee, and slid across a gym floor. It was diagnosed and treated very early, thanks to an aware trainer, and coaches. It also broke out prior to a college break, so it was contained.

Unrelated to my sons breakout, my niece also had it. She was treated successfully too.

Doc Savage
01-21-2009, 07:48 PM
We make IV antibiotics for home use. MRSA is the biggest part of our business. VANCO-VANCO and more Vanco. Of course this is for systemic MRSA infections. You can also use Zyvox but you do not want to have to pay for it that is for sure. We normally see 4-6 weeks of twice a day 1 gm vanco dosing on adults. Takes a while to get rid of it, and then you may always be colonized. Nasty bug.