PDA

View Full Version : Obama takes presidential oath again after stumble

RobJohnson
01-22-2009, 12:44 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/net/20090121/capt.84b3d301d6d6cc87236b8acd885f6254.jpeg?x=400&y=266&q=85&sig=y_sbB1mqhDc2WoyQdsfrKw--

WASHINGTON After the flub heard around the world, President Barack Obama has taken the oath of office. Again. Chief Justice John Roberts delivered the oath to Obama on Wednesday night at the White House a rare do-over. The surprise moment came in response to Tuesday's much-noticed stumble, when Roberts got the words of the oath a little off, which prompted Obama to do so, too.

Don't worry, the White House says: Obama has still been president since noon on Inauguration Day.

Nevertheless, Obama and Roberts went through the drill again out of what White House counsel Greg Craig called "an abundance of caution."

Do Over Oath (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_oath_do_over)

Sonnabend
01-22-2009, 03:15 AM
I saw. Makes sense.:)

jinxmchue
01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
No caution on his birth certificate, though.

megimoo
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I saw. Makes sense.:)no bible this time ?

jinxmchue
01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
no bible this time ?

*gasp* You're right! Veddy interestink! Perhaps his Muslim faith wouldn't let him take a proper oath on a Bible, so he fudged up the first oath on purpose. MIHOP!!!

linda22003
01-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Hmmmm, veddy interestink indeed. Rutherford Hayes and Chester Alan Arthur had no Bible; Theodore Roosevelt in 1901 and Lyndon Johnson in 1963 were sworn in without Bibles.

Apparently we've had a LOT of Muslim presidents already. :rolleyes:

linda22003
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
MIHOP!!!

There's a Muslim International House of Pancakes??

Odysseus
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
That's not the real story of this photo.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/net/20090121/capt.84b3d301d6d6cc87236b8acd885f6254.jpeg?x=400&y=266&q=85&sig=y_sbB1mqhDc2WoyQdsfrKw--

OBAMA MISSES FIRST OVAL OFFICE "HIGH FIVE"

In a remarkable failure of coordination and street smarts, President Obama failed to connect with Chief Justice Roberts' high five after the inaugural. "He just stood there, like he didn't know what to do," a deeply concerned Roberts told the Associated Press. "It was like he had no street cred at all. I mean, they don't come any whiter than me, and even I know how to high five." Congressional investigations have been called for in order to determine whether President Obama's blackness is in question.

Do Over Oath (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_oath_do_over)

Hmmmm, veddy interestink indeed. Rutherford Hayes and Chester Alan Arthur had no Bible; Theodore Roosevelt in 1901 and Lyndon Johnson in 1963 were sworn in without Bibles.

Besides Jimmy Carter?

Not anymore. They couldn't compete with Mullah's Waffle Hut.

AmPat
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
No caution on his birth certificate, though.
Exactly. Can't be too careful.:rolleyes:

Stand by to crash!:eek:

bluemeenie
01-22-2009, 03:17 PM
hope you don't mind me using your joke for a friend odysseus

Odysseus
01-22-2009, 04:26 PM
hope you don't mind me using your joke for a friend odysseus

Anytime, but feel free to add to my rep.

MstrBlue
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Of course, had any Republican made this error, first the headlines would question his intelligence, then they would be calling his presidency illegitimate.

Still, this is OBLS Obama PBUH, so he gets a free pass, and a do-over.

As to the Bible issue... are we to presume that there is NO Bible in the White House??
Come on, that is just a stretch!

Defiant1
01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Poor Chief Justice Roberts. Can you blame him? He was probably throwing up in his mouth.

lacarnut
01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Of course, had any Republican made this error, first the headlines would question his intelligence, then they would be calling his presidency illegitimate.

As to the Bible issue... are we to presume that there is NO Bible in the White House??

Heck, that would have distracted him from reading the teleprompter behind Roberts right shoulder and out of sight of the cameras.

Too funny what Roberts told Obama. We are going to take this new oath VERY SLOWLY. I think Obama is a dunce. Bush is a genius compared to him.

AlmostThere
01-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Heck, that would have distracted him from reading the teleprompter behind Roberts right shoulder and out of sight of the cameras.

Too funny what Roberts told Obama. We are going to take this new oath VERY SLOWLY. I think Obama is a dunce. Bush is a genius compared to him.

I was watching Wolf Blitzer last night. Speaking to a panel of pundits, he prefaced a question with a statement about what an intellectual Obama is. And of course all the pundits tripped over themselves agreeing. How long is this journalistic B.J. gonna go on?

Odysseus
01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Obama had the ACLU sweep the building before the inaugural. :D

I was watching Wolf Blitzer last night. Speaking to a panel of pundits, he prefaced a question with a statement about what an intellectual Obama is. And of course all the pundits tripped over themselves agreeing. How long is this journalistic B.J. gonna go on?
As long as they can draw breath. They're still doing it for Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter. No problem. Just remember, the more obvious the disconnect between what they say and what everyone sees, the less credibility the media will have. When they stick their heads in the sand, the just make a bigger target of their asses.

jinxmchue
01-23-2009, 11:45 AM

:D Obviously, I was being facetious and trying to act like a DUmp monkey.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I think I just wet myself.

bluemeenie
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM

TBH if I remember right having a bible for the oath is not required...just like saying "So help me God" is not required. It was added by the individuals taking the oath later.

Saying the oath correctly is required and something the founders toiled over for some time.

Sonnabend
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I'll clobber Obama for a lot of things over the years...but not this. Stage fright is real...and an occasion like this..well...we're all human.

Pres. Obama and his wife...yes.

His kids, as far as I am concerned, are OFF LIMITS..kids are not political, and their lives will be difficult enough.

Odysseus
01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I'll clobber Obama for a lot of things over the years...but not this. Stage fright is real...and an occasion like this..well...we're all human.

Pres. Obama and his wife...yes.

His kids, as far as I am concerned, are OFF LIMITS..kids are not political, and their lives will be difficult enough.
I agree with you on the kids, definitely, but if there's one thing that Obama was supposed to be better at than anyone else, it's delivering a speech in front of an audience, and he's had plenty of time to practice the Oath of Office (if his bio is any indication, he started reciting it in his mirror in grade school). So, a little ridicule is warranted. It doesn't make him a Moslem or a Manchurian Candidate, it's just grounds for a bit of ribbing. OTOH, it's absolutely true that if Bush had flubbed the oath, the left and the press corps (redundant, I know) would have crucified him.

Zathras
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
How long is this journalistic B.J. gonna go on?

At least 4 years.

Odysseus
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
At least 4 years.

Longer. FDR has been dead for sixty-three years and he's still getting the Monica treatment from the media. The media will continue to orally stroke a Democratic president long after he leaves office, while Republicans don't even get a reach around.