PDA

View Full Version : Monty Python Puts Free Videos Online, Sells 23,000% More DVDs

megimoo
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Monty Python Puts Free Videos Online, Sells 23,000% More DVDs

http://www.youtube.com/user/MontyPython

The Secret Policeman's Balls: History of the Joke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glpcn2PBDu0&feature=PlayList&p=AC478AEF2EE10B1E&index=0&playnext=1

Monty Python started a YouTube channel with tons of their sketches streaming for free. The included links to their DVDs at Amazon. The result was a whopping 23,000% increase in sales.For 3 years you YouTubers have been ripping us off, taking tens of thousands of our videos and putting them on YouTube. Now the tables are turned. It's time for us to take matters into our own hands.

We know who you are, we know where you live and we could come after you in ways too horrible to tell. But being the extraordinarily nice chaps we are, we've figured a better way to get our own back: We've launched our own Monty Python channel on YouTube.No more of those crap quality videos you've been posting. We're giving you the real thing - HQ videos delivered straight from our vault.

What's more, we're taking our most viewed clips and uploading brand new HQ versions. And what's even more, we're letting you see absolutely everything for free. So there!

But we want something in return.

None of your driveling, mindless comments. Instead, we want you to click on the links, buy our movies & TV shows and soften our pain and disgust at being ripped off all these years.Are you paying attention, MPAA and RIAA? A controlled release of free material keeps people from resorting to piracy and keeps them in your controlled ecosphere, which can include, yes, ways for fans to give you money. But when you're a bunch of pricks, people go to The Pirate Bay and think of you as the enemy, and then you don't get any money. Take notes, you idiots.
http://i.gizmodo.com/5137827/monty-python-puts-free-videos-online-sells-23000-more-dvds

Rebel Yell
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I've never understood the fascination with Monty Python. I just don't find any British comedy funny, but to each his own.

enslaved1
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
I never got them either, but they hit this nail on the head. Business plan failing? Try a different business plan instead of lawsuits. If those numbers are right.... :eek:

Lars1701a
01-23-2009, 08:15 PM
its about the only british comedy thats any good. (cept for the young ones) :D

PoliCon
01-23-2009, 08:17 PM
its about the only british comedy thats any good. (cept for the young ones) :D

MEH! Little Britain is a riot . . . My Family is Brilliant - and you do know that the Office is a British invention right?

Lars1701a
01-23-2009, 08:25 PM
MEH! Little Britain is a riot . . . My Family is Brilliant - and you do know that the Office is a British invention right?

Heard of it but never watched it

PoliCon
01-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Heard of it but never watched itI'm actually watching little Britain as we speak . . . .:)

Bubba Dawg
01-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Monty Python Rulz.

As a wee one I used to watch repeats of the Lads on Public TV. Haven't been the same since.

Genius. Pure Genius.

megimoo
01-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Monty Python Rulz.

As a wee one I used to watch repeats of the Lads on Public TV. Haven't been the same since.

Genius. Pure Genius.How about Bennie Hill ?He is about as good es English comedy gets !

Goldwater
01-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Fawlty Towers is awesome.

Bubba Dawg
01-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Fawlty Towers is awesome.

Bennie Hill is awesome.

Fawlty Towers is classic stuff too. There were only ten or tewelve episodes but they were really good.

patriot45
01-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Monty Python, Faulty Towers and Absolutely Fabulous were the bomb! Nothing funnier!

AHeneen
01-23-2009, 10:55 PM
I love to learn about foreign cultures and YouTube has really opened my eyes to foreign music. I'd say that about a quarter of the songs on my computer (almost 1700) are in a language other than English and of those, all but a couple were ones I first found on YouTube. This also applies, to a lesser extent, to other songs. Namely, I hear song on radio, remember it (but don't remember if it was worth buying), head to YouTube for another listen, possibly buy song. I really think this article highlights something I've wanted to tell the record companies for some time. In addition to just songs, lots of people have made great videos and music videos using copyrighted songs which have subsequently been pulled. I don't know that this is targeted, but there were once lots of great Iraq war tributes which are no longer available.