PDA

View Full Version : Has hell frozen over?

Apocalypse
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
In the NYT's they had this shocking realization. That every thing that has gone wrong is not Bush's fault!

Feckless as it was for Bush to ask Americans to go shopping after 9/11, we all too enthusiastically followed his lead, whether we were wealthy, working-class or in between. We spent a decade feasting on easy money, don’t-pay-as-you-go consumerism and a metastasizing celebrity culture. We did so while a supposedly cost-free, off-the-books war, usually out of sight and out of mind, helped break the bank along with our nation’s spirit and reputation.

We can’t keep blaming 43 for everything, especially now that we don’t have him to kick around anymore. On Tuesday the new president pointedly widened his indictment beyond the sins of his predecessor. He spoke of those at the economic pinnacle who embraced greed and irresponsibility as well as the rest of us who collaborated in our “collective failure to make hard choices.” He branded as sub-American those who “prefer leisure over work or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame.” And he wasn’t just asking Paris Hilton “to set aside childish things.” As Linda Hirshman astutely pointed out on The New Republic’s Web site, even Obama’s opening salutation — “My fellow citizens,” not “fellow Americans” — invoked the civic responsibilities we’ve misplaced en masse.

Has the Times come to a realization that Blaming Bush for every thing wasn't correct, or that their readers got tired of the BS? :eek:

asdf2231
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
In the NYT's they had this shocking realization. That every thing that has gone wrong is not Bush's fault!

Has the Times come to a realization that Blaming Bush for every thing wasn't correct, or that their readers got tired of the BS? :eek:

Losing most of your stock value would be enought to get the message across to sane people.

megimoo
01-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Has the Times come to a realization that Blaming Bush for every thing wasn't correct, or that their readers got tired of the BS? :eek:What readers? The fish market just buys the copies they bring back unpurchased and wraps the fish up in newpaper !

jeskibuff
01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
What readers?Not too long ago, I received an invitation in the mail to subscribe to NYT. I filled in the form and sent it back.

Perhaps I didn't fill in everything they wanted me too. I wrote a few little notes telling them how much I "appreciated" their liberal bias. I didn't exactly give them my credit card number. In fact they didn't even get my name. They did get to pay for the postage, though, as they had kindly provided a postage-paid reply envelope. I proudly did my little part to accelerate their impending doom.

AmPat
01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
What, the NYT's pays postage? I figured as the official mouthpiece of the DUMBocRAT party, they had franking privileges.

AHeneen
01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Well, given the astronomical cost of that d---ed paper($1 weekday, $3 Sunday...right?), I'm even better off picking up the local 50˘..well, as of January, 75˘...paper. Better yet, I can visit their website for free!

One thing of note...the NYT may be a paper, but the company NYT owns many local papers nationwide. I'd have to say that the reporting of my local NYT-owned paper isn't overtly liberal. In fact, I think their opinion/letters-to-the-editor section (http://www.theledger.com/section/edit) is phenomenally well-balanced (although they do post some radical opinions...but from both sides). In the last couple of days:

[Capital] Punishment Cost Worthwhile (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090123/NEWS/901230295/1037/EDIT02?Title=Punishment_Cost_Worthwhile) (in response to this (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090114/NEWS/901140308/1037/EDIT02?Title=Balance_Length_and_Cost_Of_Prison_Sen tences_Against_Education_Funding))
Anti-Bush Ad Disrespectful (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090124/NEWS/901240297/1037/EDIT02?Title=Anti_Bush_Ad_Disrespectful)
vs.
America ReturnsTo Roots of Liberty, Justice With Obama (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090125/NEWS/901250315/1037/EDIT02?Title=America_ReturnsTo_Roots_of_Liberty__J ustice_With_Obama) (absolutely pathetic, in my opinion)
Bush 'History' Unbelievable (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090124/NEWS/901240295/1037/EDIT02?Title=Bush__History__Unbelievable) in response to this (http://www.theledger.com/article/20090119/NEWS/901190295/1037/EDIT02?Title=History_Shows_How_George_W__Bush_Was_ An_Effective_President))

PoliCon
01-26-2009, 12:40 AM
The NYT has to change it's tune because if they don't some of that smut might rub off on Barry. People might start to look at things and think . . . . hows come this crap didn't change when Bush got out of office?

ironhorsedriver
01-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Nah, their just covering the bases. They want to be able to say that they saw it coming when the Messiah's luster starts to rub off. Now, they won't actually come out against the Messiah until the mainstream starts turning, they just want to be prepared to go the way the wind blows.

noonwitch
01-26-2009, 09:00 AM
It's really cold and the creek in Hell, MI is probably frozen over at this point.

Constitutionally Speaking
01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
It's really cold and the creek in Hell, MI is probably frozen over at this point.

I can assure you that the lakes are - the creek - depends on where you look. Some places yes others, not so much.:D

noonwitch
01-26-2009, 09:35 AM
I can assure you that the lakes are - the creek - depends on where you look. Some places yes others, not so much.:D

Yeah, when I was in St. Joe/Benton Harbor last weekend, I was surprised at how far the ice on the big lake appeared to extend. When I was a kid, we used to drive to Grand Haven or Muskegon State Parks and walk out on the ice. It's been a long time since that was possible. My grandpa also used to take us out on the frozen Grand Traverse Bay on a snowmobile-the east bay would freeze over from the OMP to Elk Rapids.

And, yes, they are now calling the Old Mission Penninsula the "OMP".

Constitutionally Speaking
01-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, when I was in St. Joe/Benton Harbor last weekend, I was surprised at how far the ice on the big lake appeared to extend. When I was a kid, we used to drive to Grand Haven or Muskegon State Parks and walk out on the ice. It's been a long time since that was possible. My grandpa also used to take us out on the frozen Grand Traverse Bay on a snowmobile-the east bay would freeze over from the OMP to Elk Rapids.

Really??? We still can drive out on the Saginaw Bay - the area I grew up in.

I spent nearly every summer weekend on the East Bay of Grand Travers Bay, and still get up to the area frequently. It has been developed beyond my tastes however and I usually stay either near Mesick or up near Suttons Bay.

djones520
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM

I hate whats happened to Traverse City area, the place is becoming pretty scummy. That whole area actually. You head west from there, and all the little towns, Benzonia, Frankfort, Manistee, the only real examples from my generation out there are pot/heroin/coke heads who are making babies as fast as possible and over loading the fast food chains with job applications.

noonwitch
01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I hate whats happened to Traverse City area, the place is becoming pretty scummy. That whole area actually. You head west from there, and all the little towns, Benzonia, Frankfort, Manistee, the only real examples from my generation out there are pot/heroin/coke heads who are making babies as fast as possible and over loading the fast food chains with job applications.

It's still pretty nice out on the OMP, where my grandpa lives. There are no fast food outlets, just cherry farms, Bed and Breakfasts, wineries, beaches and a few upscale restaurants.

Traverse City itself, though, has become just like any other town. They have malls and strip malls, chain restaurants, and so on. The downtown shopping area is still nice-the old JC Penney's is a Horizon Book Store, which is a nice change from the usual Borders/Barnes and Noble.

djones520
01-26-2009, 01:31 PM
It's still pretty nice out on the OMP, where my grandpa lives. There are no fast food outlets, just cherry farms, Bed and Breakfasts, wineries, beaches and a few upscale restaurants.

Traverse City itself, though, has become just like any other town. They have malls and strip malls, chain restaurants, and so on. The downtown shopping area is still nice-the old JC Penney's is a Horizon Book Store, which is a nice change from the usual Borders/Barnes and Noble.

I don't mind the more city part of the town. It's still a nice looking area (except for the run down part on the west end of Boardmen lake). I'm still amazed at how far south the city has grown since I joined the AF 7 years ago. Chums Corner used to just be what was just on the corner...

OMP is nice, but unless your a millionaire or lucky to inherit, don't plan on living out there anytime soon.

PoliCon
01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Nah, their just covering the bases. They want to be able to say that they saw it coming when the Messiah's luster starts to rub off. Now, they won't actually come out against the Messiah until the mainstream starts turning, they just want to be prepared to go the way the wind blows.
The MSM won't turn on him even then. They'll make even more excuses and sing his praises all the louder - UNTIL it's apparent that he's dead in the water and THEN they will turn on him and TO their hand picked successor.

AmPat
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM

I spent a very enjoyable summer in TC years ago. :)