PDA

View Full Version : Senate confirms Geithner as Treasury Secretary

SarasotaRepub
01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
By Colin Barr, Fortune senior writer
Last Updated: January 26, 2009: 7:00 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Senate lawmakers voted Monday to confirm Tim Geithner as the next Treasury secretary amid ongoing uncertainty about the nation's economic future.

Geithner, who will spearhead President Obama's response to the financial crisis that threatens to unravel economic growth around the globe, won approval by a vote of 60 to 34.

Following the vote, President Obama and Vice-President Biden went to the Treasury Department to immediately swear Geithner in.

Link (http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/26/news/geithner.senate.vote/index.htm?postversion=2009012616)

biccat
01-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Awesome.

I fully expect them to appoint an escaped felon to the Dept. of Justice, a mortgage deadbeat to the Dept. of Housing, and a high school dropout to the Dept. of Education.

It only makes sense.

AmPat
01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I would like to say "UNBELIEVABLE," but I'm too honest.

This is absolutely believable because it is a DIMocRAT appointee. I understand it was a 60-34 vote. Who were the traitors this time?:mad:

On a related story, the New York Times has discovered that a former Conscientious Objector will replace Secretary of Defense Robert Gates later this year.

MrsSmith
01-26-2009, 10:08 PM
"Change we can believe in" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

patriot45
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I would like to say "UNBELIEVABLE," but I'm too honest.

This is absolutely believable because it is a DIMocRAT appointee. I understand it was a 60-34 vote. Who were the traitors this time?:mad:On a related story, the New York Times has discovered that a former Conscientious Objector will replace Secretary of Defense Robert Gates later this year.

I hope we find out tomorrow!

AmPat
01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Without research, I'm guessing at a minimum; Specter and McCain.

patriot45
01-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Thinking about it now, I guess that was a given. :mad:

PoliCon
01-26-2009, 10:25 PM

spector did vote yes. He will NOT win reelection. He WILL go down in his next primary. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Odysseus
01-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Awesome.

I fully expect them to appoint an escaped felon to the Dept. of Justice, a mortgage deadbeat to the Dept. of Housing, and a high school dropout to the Dept. of Education.

It only makes sense.

Holder isn't an escaped felon, but he did secure a pardon for Mark Rich, who was certainly a fugitive felon.
Charlie Rangel seems to have avoided paying taxes on rental properties, so he'd be an ideal Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
A high school dropout has more common sense than most serious academics, so that wouldn't work. I see Bill Ayers as Secretary of Education.

Oh, anyone care to place a bet on whether Obama pardons Abu Mumia Jamal at the end of his term?

PoliCon
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Holder isn't an escaped felon, but he did secure a pardon for Mark Rich, who was certainly a fugitive felon.
Charlie Rangel seems to have avoided paying taxes on rental properties, so he'd be an ideal Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
A high school dropout has more common sense than most serious academics, so that wouldn't work. I see Bill Ayers as Secretary of Education.

Oh, anyone care to place a bet on whether Obama pardons Abu Mumia Jamal at the end of his term?

LOL end of his term??? How do you end someones term as GOD AMONG US? :rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
01-26-2009, 11:44 PM
I hope we find out tomorrow!

Wish Library Lady was still here. She'd have the info right away.

Funny thing, Republicans with a nanny problem are instantly disqualified while the libs would yap that they weren't vetted properly. What's a little nanny problem when you can also dodge paying the IRS, the organization that you'll head? The dims have no scruples. God protect us all. :eek:

PoliCon
01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
forget the dems. I'm stark raving PISSED at the RINOS who voted for this bastard. I for one will do everything I can to see the one from my state LOSES his next election bid. I'm BEYOND fed up.

patriot45
01-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Wish Library Lady was still here. She'd have the info right away.

Funny thing, Republicans with a nanny problem are instantly disqualified while the libs would yap that they weren't vetted properly. What's a little nanny problem when you can also dodge paying the IRS, the organization that you'll head? The dims have no scruples. God protect us all. :eek:

Miss her too! She was fast!

cat714
01-27-2009, 12:31 AM
The B.O. Republicans who voted for Geithner — and video of Inhofe’s statement
By Michelle Malkin • January 26, 2009 07:11 PM

And here are the 10 B.O. (Barack Obama/Bend Over) Republicans who sided with Obama and the Dems:

Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
Ensign (R-NV)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
Shelby (R-AL)
Snowe (R-ME)
Voinovich (R-OH)

Question: Where was GOP Sen. Kit Bond?

LINK (http://michellemalkin.com/2009/01/26/the-bo-republicans-who-voted-for-geithner-and-video-of-inhofes-statement/)

PoliCon
01-27-2009, 01:06 AM
The B.O. Republicans who voted for Geithner — and video of Inhofe’s statement
By Michelle Malkin • January 26, 2009 07:11 PM

And here are the 10 B.O. (Barack Obama/Bend Over) Republicans who sided with Obama and the Dems:

Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
Ensign (R-NV)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
Shelby (R-AL)
Snowe (R-ME)
Voinovich (R-OH)

Question: Where was GOP Sen. Kit Bond?

LINK (http://michellemalkin.com/2009/01/26/the-bo-republicans-who-voted-for-geithner-and-video-of-inhofes-statement/)
WELL NOW . . . . I guess the phone calls helped - because SPECTOR who was supposed to vote yes - voted NO. :) I'm still going to work to see him defeated.

ETA - I forgot that there are still two empty seats . . . . I thought her math was off at first . . . .

AHeneen
01-27-2009, 02:28 AM
What's next from BO? A Sec. of Education with a GED?

AmPat
01-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Corker! You're next on the chopping block. :mad: