PDA

View Full Version : House passes $819 billion stimulus bill

SarasotaRepub
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
By David Goldman (david.goldman@turner.com), CNNMoney.com staff writer
Last Updated: January 28, 2009: 7:29 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The House on Wednesday evening passed an $819 billion economic stimulus package Wednesday on a party-line vote, despite President Obama's efforts to achieve bipartisan support for the bill.

The final vote was 244 to 188. No Republicans voted for the bill, while11 Democrats voted against it.

The Senate is likely to take up the bill next week.

"I hope that we can continue to strengthen this plan before it gets to my desk," Obama said in a statement after the vote. "We must move swiftly and boldly to put Americans back to work, and that is exactly what this plan begins to do."

In floor debate earlier, House Democrats offered near-unanimous support for the bill, touting the package's ability to quickly create jobs and jumpstart economic growth.

Linky (http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/28/news/economy/house_vote_wednesday/index.htm?cnn=yes)

cat714
01-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Lord help us.

AHeneen
01-28-2009, 09:39 PM
The BBC on its passage included an interesting picture...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45423000/jpg/_45423627_006798521-1.jpg

What do you think this photo looks like? Maybe a funny caption?

Adaemi
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I will admit that I know very little about politics, but is a ginormous "stimulous plan" just a ginormous pile of pork? I'd like Obama to explain exactly how this is going to be a 'job creator'. Are jobs not created out of necessity? He seems to think he can will them into existence.

Proud of my Repubs for standing firm on this so far. Let's hope they don't cave when the "crisis" talk kicks into full gear.

BadCat
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
The bamster looks like he needs more fibre in his diet in that picture.

PoliCon
01-29-2009, 12:09 AM
and every last one of those bastards in the house who voted for it - should be targeted in the next election for replacement dems and republicans alike.

marinejcksn
01-29-2009, 01:51 AM
and every last one of those bastards in the house who voted for it - should be targeted in the next election for replacement dems and republicans alike.

Suprisingly...no Republicans voted Yes on H.R. 1 and 11 Democrats actually voted against it too. I just checked the Library of Congress website and got the full vote tally.

AHeneen
01-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Suprisingly...no Republicans voted Yes on H.R. 1 and 11 Democrats actually voted against it too. I just checked the Library of Congress website and got the full vote tally.

Yep. And McCain's friend Liberman voted for it.

Moon
01-29-2009, 06:28 AM

Liberman's a liberal, so what else would you expect?

cat714
01-29-2009, 06:38 AM
The bamster looks like he needs more fibre in his diet in that picture.

Yup because he is so FULL of sh*t.

3rd-try
01-29-2009, 07:52 AM
I will admit that I know very little about politics, but is a ginormous "stimulous plan" just a ginormous pile of pork? I'd like Obama to explain exactly how this is going to be a 'job creator'. Are jobs not created out of necessity? He seems to think he can will them into existence.

Proud of my Repubs for standing firm on this so far. Let's hope they don't cave when the "crisis" talk kicks into full gear.

You're right on the pork! It's nothing more than theft. Plus, much money will remain for vote buying in 2010. And, we know who has the votes to distribute as deemed necessary.

lacarnut
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM

The House passed this bill. Liberman is a Senator. The Senate will start debate on their version of the bill, making amendments and then McCain, Lieberman and the rest of the Senators will vote on it.

submarinepainter
01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Lord help us.

amen sister

PoliCon
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM

when I heard that - it was music to my ears. :) Sadly - my rep is one that voted for the bloat bill. :mad:

marinejcksn
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
when I heard that - it was music to my ears. :) Sadly - my rep is one that voted for the bloat bill. :mad:

Not Mine (http://www.house.gov/pitts/)! Joe Pitts gets a 100% from the ACU. :D

PoliCon
01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Not Mine (http://www.house.gov/pitts/)! Joe Pitts gets a 100% from the ACU. :D

my rep is a flaming leftist. Makes me sick.

Mythic
01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
my rep is a flaming leftist. Makes me sick.
I live in California. Dont get me started about leftist reps.

Lanie
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
What's wrong with having another stimulus?

jeskibuff
01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
What's wrong with having another stimulus?Not that the latest one was brilliant, but this one has Democratic Idiocy written all over it:

From Grassfire.org:

$2.4 billion carbon capture products...

$4.19 billion for ACORN and other bogus "community organizing" groups...
$650 million digital tv conversion...
$79 billion to bail out the state education system...
Hundreds of millions for family planning...
$400 million global warming research...
$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts...
$200 million to refurbish the National Mall...
And the bill is not even a stimulus! Just 1% of the so-called stimulus
is for tax cuts for small businesses. And according to the Congressional
Budget Office, two thirds of the stimulus will not even be spent for
nearly two years!

This is the kind of idiocy that we have rallied against for so many years: letting Democrats spend our money so recklessly.

Apocalypse
01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
In the news on how much this is supported by Voters. For who the dims keep saying "They" listen too.

Support drops for stimulus package

By E. Thomas McClanahan, Kansas City Star Editorial Page columnist

Public support for the overloaded porkfest known as the stimulus package is eroding.

Forty-two percent (42%) of the nationís likely voters now support the presidentís plan, roughly one-third of which is tax cuts with the rest new government spending. The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 39% are opposed to it and 19% are undecided. Liberal voters overwhelmingly support the plan while conservatives are strongly opposed.
Last week, support for the Presidentís plan was at 45% and opposition at 34%.

Don't look good for the dims, seems that the voters don't want this, and those opposed are almost tied with the supporters.

PoliCon
01-29-2009, 11:17 PM
I live in California. Dont get me started about leftist reps.At least I'm not represented by that TOOL Murtha. :rolleyes: