PDA

View Full Version : Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else

Gingersnap
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else

By Haya El Nasser, USA TODAY

Living in Las Vegas appeals more to men than women. Affluent adults are twice as likely as poorer folks to want to live in Boston. Young people like big cities such as New York and Los Angeles. More Americans would rather live in a place with more McDonald's than one with more Starbucks.

TELL US: Where would you live if you could?

Those are some of the findings of a Pew Research Center survey out today on where Americans would most like to live. Whether they favor cities, suburbs or the countryside, almost half wish they lived somewhere else, the report found. City dwellers are more likely to dream of living somewhere else, and men in rural areas are far happier living there than women.

"There are some more fundamental differences between men and women," says Rich Morin, senior editor of the Pew Research Center survey. "Different cities seem to appeal to different partisan ideological groups. People who are drawn to cities are typically younger people."

(snip)

The West and South are more enticing regions than the Northeast and Midwest.

46% would prefer to live in a different type of community from the one they now reside. Adults 50 to 64 who live in cities are the least likely to say they live in the ideal place; two-thirds of those in that age group who live in the country say they couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Young people are the opposite: 57% of urban dwellers younger than 30 say the city is where they want to live.

(snip)

City dwellers want out

"City residents disproportionately are more likely than people living in other types of communities to say they would prefer to live in a place other than a city," Morin says. "Fewer than half of all city residents say there is no better place to live than in a city."

A smaller proportion of women express the desire to live in the nation's largest cities. "Women are less drawn to big cities," says Robert Lang, co-director of the Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech. "It could be safety."

Wanting to live outside cities doesn't necessarily mean people reject urban lifestyles, however. The appeal of developments with an urban flair ones that combine housing, stores and offices in a neighborhood setting is growing.

READERS: Do you like where you live? Where would you live if you could?

Interesting. I love it where I live.

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2009-01-29-where-we-live_N.htm)

linda22003
01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
I love where I live, too. My needs and wants will change when I retire, and I'll move to where I will want to live then.

wilbur
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I am one of the ones who wants to be somewhere else. Got my eyes on the west... Denver possibly. But its not feasible at the moment... and our current local isnt horrible either.

noonwitch
01-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I also like where I live, but if I won the Lotto, I'd buy another place up north, on Lake Michigan. I'd still keep my home in metro Detroit-there is not a Nordstrom in Traverse City (and there really should never be one there).

Gingersnap
01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I think it's interesting that the 45+ group and women are less enamoured of urban living. There was a big push in Denver a few years ago to sell the urban lifestyle to older adults.

The problem is that most older adults have no interest in night life or clubs and they don't tend to be trendy eaters or trendy dressers. Down town Denver has pricey eateries and fast food and it has upscale stores and souvenir teeshirt places - there isn't a lot in between. I would guess that older adults are more alarmed by the personal crime in urban areas, too.

FlaGator
01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm happy right here. Now I wouldn't mind moving back to Hawaii but Florida is just great once you get use to the bugs.