PDA

View Full Version : My son's first baseball season.

CLibertarian
06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
My son just completed his first baseball season. He just turned 9 last month. He exhibited no interest until this year. Up until now, he only played basketball and took swimming classes in the summer. He did rather well in baseball. He liked it well enough to tell me that he plans on playing again next year. To me, the fact that he learned alot and had fun being a slugger means that the season was a success. Of course, the fact that his team ended up in second place after a very close tournament game adds t that feeling of success.:D

I thanked the coach for donating his time to coach the team and told him why I believed his efforts with my son were successful. He said that he enjoyed having my son on the team and that I should specify him as the coach when I sign him up next year.

Shannon
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Of course, the fact that his team ended up in second place after a very close tournament game adds t that feeling of success.:D

Do you know the difference between second place and last place? There isn't one. They're all LOSERS!:p

CLibertarian
06-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Do you know the difference between second place and last place? There isn't one. They're all LOSERS!:p

No Children of your own?:p

Goldwater
06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
No Children of your own?:p

Just one, that poor tortured soul... :p

CLibertarian
06-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Just one, that poor tortured soul... :p

The therapy bills will be high.:D

Phillygirl
06-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Very cool, CLib. It is so much fun to watch the kids play. I'm hoping to get to my nephews' play off game and the all star game.

CLibertarian
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Very cool, CLib. It is so much fun to watch the kids play. I'm hoping to get to my nephews' play off game and the all star game.

They are fun to watch and it means alot to them when they know you are there.

Shannon
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
The therapy bills will be high.:D

Therapy.:rolleyes: I'm not raising a soccer player here.:p

gator
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
I coached baseball for both my sons and that was some of the best times I have had in my life.

Enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing like coming home from work on a Friday night and coaching a baseball game and then going out for a pizza afterwards. Good times.

CLibertarian
06-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Wrong sports thread.:p:D

CLibertarian
06-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I coached baseball for both my sons and that was some of the best times I have had in my life.

Enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing like coming home from work on a Friday night and coaching a baseball game and then going out for a pizza afterwards. Good times.

I'm thinking about being a helper coach next year.

Bubba Dawg
06-23-2008, 11:30 PM

But just for the sake of argument, suppose he came to you one day and said, Mom, I have something to tell you, and I know it will be a shock...but....I'm....a soccer player.

It would be okay, wouldn't it?

dixierat
06-24-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm thinking about being a helper coach next year.

If you're serious about helping or being an assistant coach, prepare yourself.

I used this video:

http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,CBV-LV-441.html

To plan my practices around. It keeps the kids learning, busy, miniszes downtime, and preps them to play the game. I had a very successful run as a coach and owe most of it to the practice techniques I learned from this video.

:cool:

CLibertarian
06-25-2008, 10:45 AM
If you're serious about helping or being an assistant coach, prepare yourself.

I used this video:

http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,CBV-LV-441.html

To plan my practices around. It keeps the kids learning, busy, miniszes downtime, and preps them to play the game. I had a very successful run as a coach and owe most of it to the practice techniques I learned from this video.

Thanks for the link. I have found in the 35 years since I played youth league baseball, many rules have changed. Before I could be anything more than an assistant-assistant coach, I need to learn more about these changes. At the games, I find myself asking the other parents about various umpire calls and other practices that seem totally foreign to me. However, techniques in actually playing and practicing still seem to be close enough for me to give it a try.

dixierat
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the link. I have found in the 35 years since I played youth league baseball, many rules have changed. Before I could be anything more than an assistant-assistant coach, I need to learn more about these changes. At the games, I find myself asking the other parents about various umpire calls and other practices that seem totally foreign to me. However, techniques in actually playing and practicing still seem to be close enough for me to give it a try.

The video in the link will show you how to properly organise and run a practice. The method keeps the kids busy the whole practice and focuses on fundamental skills. I'd of loved to have had that kind of coaching when I was a kid.

I coached the 9-12 age brackett for 6 years. My first 4 years, not using the practice methods in the video, I was a .500 coach in regular season (100 games 50W - 50L). After adopting the method of coaching in the video, my team over the next 2 seasons was 47-3, including a 25-0 season. The method made a huge difference, but I had a lot of good talent those last 2 seasons as well.