PDA

View Full Version : Is This What Our America Has Come To ? Dumpster Dining ?

megimoo
02-01-2009, 09:09 PM
For anyone who is hungry or eating poorly, I have a secret to share. (Hussein's America)

A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_L612od8Ng&eurl=http://www.larynandjanel.com/blog/a_shout_out_to_eating_garbage_on_dumpster_diving.h tml

Here is some advice for those who are hungry:
http://www.larynandjanel.com/blog/a_shout_out_to_eating_garbage_on_dumpster_diving.h tml

My partner and I don't have enough money to eat well and neither do our friends. But we have a little secret I'd like to share with you--on one condition--you have to share the food you find with others and also use good judgment. This works best if you live in a suburb or a small city. (Those in NYC and LA might want to ignore this advice.) I live in a city of about a million people.

Find the area-wide warehouse distribution center for any of the national upscale grocery stores in your region. (I'd rather not name names, but I think you can figure out which ones I'm talking about). There will be an area where trucks are loading massive amounts of new food into the warehouse. Because these stores cater to upscale clientele, they will throw out pallets of food if some items have superficial packaging imperfections (i.e. dented but intact hard plastic, etc.) Because sales are low, they are also throwing out food that is 'less new' but perfectly edible. For example: if new produce arrives, unsold produce will be discarded en masse, even if it will stay good for another 10 days.)

Over the past few months, we have found boxes of whole wheat pizzas, boxes filled with organic frozen dinners (we took about 6 boxes containing 200+ dinners, left the rest), bananas, about 300 pounds of soy nuts, enough baby organic spinach to feed hundreds of people, cookie dough, dips and sauces of all sorts (hundreds of containers), hundreds of boxes filled with organic yogurt, expensive sparking water, pounds of nuts, organic baby mixed greens, etc. We feed many families with what we find.

Here are some tips:

1) Go after 10pm and before 3am.

2) Don't go to STORES themselves, they tend to throw garbage on top of their dumpsters and may even throw poisons on top to keep animals away. You're only likely to find a few busted yogurts with paper and coffee grinds thrown on top of them. Only hit the distribution centers.

3) You will be more successful at high-end stores with a picky clientele. At the regular store they can sell foods in dented packages at a discount. They won't do that at stores that have the aura of health and purity.

4) Use good judgment when dealing with unpackaged and unboxed food. Most of what I find is double and triple boxed food (food in plastic, in a box, in a larger box, inside a huge box all still sealed).

5) Use good judgment in dealing with expired foods. If it is straight out of deep freeze, we've found the "best if used by" dates to be pretty irrelevant. My entire community of friends has eaten on frozen food even 2 months past the "best if used by" date. If the crates of food are still hard-frozen, you're very likely to be AOK. Open one item and do a smell test. Throw away anything that doesn't pass your muster. Use common sense.

6) Always read up on massive recalls of a type of food. If the gov't is saying some tomatoes have salmonella, you might want to think twice about tomatoes.

7) Be careful with children, the elderly, and the immuno-compromised. Have the healthy people eat first as a precaution.

8) Wear comfortable shoes, protective clothing and bring a flashlight.

9) Be aware that your attempt to feed yourself may be trespassing or even illegal. Or it may not be a big deal. Our theory is that upscale 'holistic' stores are less likely to be brutal to foragers because it wouldn't be good advertising to refuse poor people your garbage (or advertise how much they waste.)

10) I'm personally most suspicious of dairy items. Toss anything that doesn't taste PERFECT. But don't worry, you'll find a hell of a lot of perfect tasting food.

11. Share.

If you're germ-o-phobic think of it this way: people touch your prepared foods at restaurants all the time.

Good luck. Please kick this if you think it will help someone.

patriot45
02-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Thats pretty gross, but I have seen that same post on DU. They know the intracasies of DUmpster diving! lol

megimoo
02-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Thats pretty gross, but I have seen that same post on DU. They know the intracasies of DUmpster diving! lolThere are a lot of people going hungry in America today .People who have fallen 'over the edge of society', not lazy welfare sucking bums but honest hard working people who have lost their jobs and homes .They don't know the 'ropes' of getting help or in some cases are still too proud to ask so they live day to day on what ever they can earn .

patriot45
02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
There are a lot of people going hungry in America today .People who have fallen 'over the edge of society', not lazy welfare sucking bums but honest hard working people who have lost their jobs and homes .They don't know the 'ropes' of getting help or in some cases are still too proud to ask so they live day to day on what ever they can earn .

C'mon Megi, DUmpster diving is never the way. We may not know the welfare "ropes" like DUmmies do but if I ever was in that position I think I could find other ways.

Jumpy
02-01-2009, 11:40 PM
As a kid, my family went to our local grocery store and "dumpster dived" many years ago. I thought we were doing it because we were frugal, and it was fun to find something for nothing. As it turns out.. many years later, I find out we were doing it because we needed to.

Our local grocery store tossed produce that was marginal. We picked up cases of lettuce, tomatoes, apples, etc. We just cut out the bad spots. It was good eatin', and I would do it again today if I knew that a grocery store was tossing goodies... when they were tossing them, and when a good time to pick them up was.

Overripe bananas make the BEST smoothies. I always buy the bargain ones, and freeze them. I betcha they are tossed all the time.

PoliCon
02-02-2009, 12:16 AM
there is no excuse for ANYONE going hungry in America. There are plenty of ways to get food from government hand outs to food banks to soup kitchens.

lacarnut
02-02-2009, 12:24 AM
A couple of months ago I saw a homeless man sitting near a dumpster at KFC. I drove by him and it dawned on me that he was waiting for the next batch of garbage to be thrown out. I turned my car around and gave him some money and told him to get some fresh chicken.

RobJohnson
02-02-2009, 06:38 AM
A couple of months ago I saw a homeless man sitting near a dumpster at KFC. I drove by him and it dawned on me that he was waiting for the next batch of garbage to be thrown out. I turned my car around and gave him some money and told him to get some fresh chicken.

That was very nice of you!

FlaGator
02-02-2009, 08:15 AM
There are a lot of people going hungry in America today .People who have fallen 'over the edge of society', not lazy welfare sucking bums but honest hard working people who have lost their jobs and homes .They don't know the 'ropes' of getting help or in some cases are still too proud to ask so they live day to day on what ever they can earn .

I work with several organizations that provide food and meals to those less fortunate. If someone is hungry they can find a free meal with not too much difficulty. In America the hunger problem isn't nearly the issue it is in the developing countries. I'm not saying that there is no problem in the US, but there is a huge infrastructure to feed people who need food. Some is faith based and some is secular based but most are both working hand in hand to address the need.

noonwitch
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
there is no excuse for ANYONE going hungry in America. There are plenty of ways to get food from government hand outs to food banks to soup kitchens.

I could see in rural areas, if people don't have any kind of transportation available, how it could happen. In a big city, though, with soup kitchens and churches that give away food, there is no reason for anyone to go hungry.

megimoo
02-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I could see in rural areas, if people don't have any kind of transportation available, how it could happen. In a big city, though, with soup kitchens and churches that give away food, there is no reason for anyone to go hungry.
Some of the kitchens are running short on donations this time.Those who donated food in the past are starting to feel the 'pain' and are stocking up on food for their own 'hard times'.There are so many new people 'on the streets' it's starting to get frightening.These new people are all hardworking GOD fearing working class who have been 'laid off'' through no fault of their own but because of the economy .

Celtic Rose
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Some of the kitchens are running short on donations this time.Those who donated food in the past are starting to feel the 'pain' and are stocking up on food for their own 'hard times'.There are so many new people 'on the streets' it's starting to get frightening.These new people are all hardworking GOD fearing working class who have been 'laid off'' through no fault of their own but because of the economy .

I worked at a local food pantry last weekend, and they weren't low on food yet, but that is because they still have some left over from holiday donations. However, they said that they've gone from helping 300 families a day to 500. They've also had a lot of first time visitors, mostly people who have recently lost jobs, or who are having other problems, and who are hoping to avoid needing government aid, or long term assistance.

If you guys can donate a little extra food, this time of year is often really tight for food pantries. A lot of people donate food around the holidays, and not much at the beginning of the year, but people need food all year long.

Gingersnap
02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
If you guys can donate a little extra food, this time of year is often really tight for food pantries. A lot of people donate food around the holidays, and not much at the beginning of the year, but people need food all year long.

Out here it's common to see businesses that will knock a buck or two off your bill if you donate a non-perishable item to them. This is a year round effort.

noonwitch
02-02-2009, 01:18 PM

My church has started having more of the canned good collections, more than just twice a year. It's a way people can help, even those who don't have much spending money. If everyone brought one or two cans in a big church, that would be 1500-2000 cans a week, at my church. It's a couple of bucks more each trip to the grocery store. If 3 or 4 churches go together on a food drive, they could feed a whole neighborhood that week. We give our food to Gleaners/Second Harvest, which also works with the grocery stores and bakeries to give out day-old bread.

Also, in Detroit the last few years, there is an effort to get the poor to band together and plant neighborhood vegetable gardens, either in a park or on vacant lots. There's been some limited success in that area, but it could take off as people get more desperate. Seeds are cheap, and vegetables can be canned, for winter eating.

PoliCon
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
A couple of months ago I saw a homeless man sitting near a dumpster at KFC. I drove by him and it dawned on me that he was waiting for the next batch of garbage to be thrown out. I turned my car around and gave him some money and told him to get some fresh chicken.I would have brought him real food. I NEVER give money to individuals. Food yes - money no.

PoliCon
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Even in the rural areas. We lived on a farm when I was a kid and when my father left - we we're beyond broke - my mother didn't drive - and we lived a full mile from our nearest neighbors. Even so - people were there to help.

PLUS in the rural areas there is the NATURAL food supply available from rodents to deer.

wilbur
02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Why not put two and two together here. Dumpster dive the grocery store... give the food to charity. Or the charities should work directly with the stores who throw out stuff because of cosmetic issues with some of the packaging.

megimoo
02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Why not put two and two together here. Dumpster dive the grocery store... give the food to charity. Or the charities should work directly with the stores who throw out stuff because of cosmetic issues with some of the packaging.
A smart fella like you should know the answer to that one willie .The theory is if they give it away to the poor they may lose money because the poor then will not buy from them if they had any money?

The brains who figured that one out must have been Progressives.They will give to some organized outfits but not to the destitute individual who asks.Some markets have in the past spread poison over the food in the dumpsters to dissuade people picking the garbage.They,the store owners,said it was because of the rodents !

Odysseus
02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Several years ago, I saw a couple trying to give a panhandler a sandwich that they'd bought in the deli next to where he was begging. He wouldn't take it, and got really indignant about wanting the money, instead. The couple couldn't figure out what is problem was until I pointed out that he was panhandling in front of a liquor store. He couldn't trade the sandwich for a drink, so it was useless to him. When I said that, the panhandler cursed me out and the couple had an "aha" moment.

You should have stayed and watched your dumpster diver. I guarantee that he still ate out of the dumpster and spent the money on booze or drugs.

That's a remarkably logical and intelligent suggestion. What have you done with the real Wilbur?

PoliCon
02-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Can't. People then turn and sue the grocery stores.

megimoo
02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Can't. People then turn and sue the grocery stores. I don't think many people on the street want anything to do with the courts or judges .There are many a sad story of street people found dead around restaurant back doors and dumpsters, especially in California .

megimoo
02-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Several years ago, I saw a couple trying to give a panhandler a sandwich that they'd bought in the deli next to where he was begging. He wouldn't take it, and got really indignant about wanting the money, instead. The couple couldn't figure out what is problem was until I pointed out that he was panhandling in front of a liquor store. He couldn't trade the sandwich for a drink, so it was useless to him. When I said that, the panhandler cursed me out and the couple had an "aha" moment.

You should have stayed and watched your dumpster diver. I guarantee that he still ate out of the dumpster and spent the money on booze or drugs.

That's a remarkably logical and intelligent suggestion. What have you done with the real Wilbur?
I have many times in the past given money to people on the streets.I know most of them will spend it on booze but I feel if that's what they want to make their life a little less painful so be it,who am I to judge them .

I once gave money to a guy just before Christmas,early in the morning on a heavy snow day on my way to work.I think it was a five dollar bill and when I turned around he ran up to me and said it wasn't enough so I laughed and gave him another five. Maybe I'll have a few days off while I am being punished for my evil ways !

What the heck it was Christmas and he needed a drink to forget his troubles.I read in an article that the average life time for a man ,homeless and living on the streets of a large American city is about two years max .In the northern city's they freeze to death in some door way. In the warm city's they sometimes choke on their own drunken vomit if they are not murdered by some other street person !

FlaGator
02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
A smart fella like you should know the answer to that one willie .The theory is if they give it away to the poor they may lose money because the poor then will not buy from them if they had any money?

The brains who figured that one out must have been Progressives.They will give to some organized outfits but not to the destitute individual who asks.Some markets have in the past spread poison over the food in the dumpsters to dissuade people picking the garbage.They,the store owners,said it was because of the rodents !

I volunteer with the main food bank here in North Florida (Second Havest Food Bank) and all the grocery stores donate both food and money. Everyday truckloads of damaged and near out of date and out of date food arrive and it gets distributed just as fast as it comes in. Even the day old bread and pastries are given to the food bank and distributed to the needed. The stuff that ends up in the dumpster of a grocery store are items that are too few to send and and stuff that is not good for human consumption. Lazy store clerks do dump some good stuff one in a while but for the most part everything usable is donated to the food bank.

megimoo
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I volunteer with the main food bank here in North Florida (Second Havest Food Bank) and all the grocery stores donate both food and money. Everyday truckloads of damaged and near out of date and out of date food arrive and it gets distributed just as fast as it comes in. Even the day old bread and pastries are given to the food bank and distributed to the needed. The stuff that ends up in the dumpster of a grocery store are items that are too few to send and and stuff that is not good for human consumption. Lazy store clerks do dump some good stuff one in a while but for the most part everything usable is donated to the food bank.
Christians in action, good for you !