PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps acknowledges pot pipe photo and apologizes

RobJohnson
02-02-2009, 05:28 AM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-02/44828048.jpg

Swimmer Michael Phelps, who has won more gold medals than anyone in Olympic history, acknowledged Sunday he had engaged in "regrettable" behavior and shown "bad judgment" after a photo of him smoking what appears to be marijuana from a glass pipe was published in a British tabloid over the weekend.

Marijuana is classified by the World Anti-Doping Agency, which oversees Olympic and international drug testing, as a banned "in-competition" substance, meaning Phelps is unlikely to face any punishment or suspension.

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said in a statement released by Octagon, his management firm, and posted on his Facebook site. "I'm 23 years old, and despite the successes I have had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner that people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public -- it will not happen again."

Smoking Some Gold (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-phelps-marijuana2-2009feb02,0,2074287.story?track=rss)

RobJohnson
02-02-2009, 05:28 AM
The pic:

http://www.limelife.com/R/ResourceModule/generated/02.01.09.celeb.mphelps_w_546_h_746.jpg

AmPat
02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
The image I can't shake is when the announcers at the Olympics reported that Phelps daily intake of calories was 9000 on average. All I could think of was how much crap he must produce every day.

That's a veritable mountain of POOP! :eek::eek::o

Lars1701a
02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
The image I can't shake is when the announcers at the Olympics reported that Phelps daily intake of calories was 9000 on average. All I could think of was how much crap he must produce every day.

That's a veritable mountain of POOP! :eek::eek::o

He must have had a bad case of the munchies to eat all that food :D

noonwitch
02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
It's not as if it's a performance-enhancing substance, and I'm sure he doesn't smoke it when he is in serious training for a competition.

Still, I'll bet he wants to kill whoever took that picture of him.

Goldwater
02-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Arrest him, he is a threat to society!

Lars1701a
02-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Very good point and I agree with you :)

Shannon
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Why in the name of God would he allow anyone to take a picture of him smoking pot?

Gingersnap
02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Why in the name of God would he allow anyone to take a picture of him smoking pot?

This is what I thought. Leaving aside the legal issues, he has to know that virtually all of his money needs to made on endorsements and speaking engagements. It's not like he's going follow in the flippers of Esther Williams or anything.

Even if he didn't feel comfortable controlling the environment where this stunt happened, you can hire people to do all that for you now. They will frisk the guests and remove the pic phones and other devices.

What was he thinking? :eek:

Goldwater
02-02-2009, 09:31 AM
This is what I thought. Leaving aside the legal issues, he has to know that virtually all of his money needs to made on endorsements and speaking engagements. It's not like he's going follow in the flippers of Esther Williams or anything.

Even if he didn't feel comfortable controlling the environment where this stunt happened, you can hire people to do all that for you now. They will frisk the guests and remove the pic phones and other devices.

What was he thinking? :eek:

He was getting high, the hell did he care.

Rebel Yell
02-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Hell, Shannon, he was HIGH. Trust me, potheads ALWAYS think it's cool to have a picture of themselve smoking the doobage. God only knows where the ones of me are floating around now.

BadCat
02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
You all would be surprised how many new college graduates turn down high paying jobs because drug tests are required.

I just shake my head over somebody who turns down $80k / year because they want to get stoned.

This Phelps guy is just an idiot.

AlmostThere
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Rickie Williams turned down a lot more than 80K to smoke weed.

I don't know why this is even a story. The picture was him smoking some pot. So what. He wasn't snorting coke, like our prez, or shooting heroin like any number of recording industry stars, or smoking crack. He wasn't standing in front of a school selling dope to kids. He was at a party where the vast number of attendees were probably drinking, maybe drunk, and/or smoking some reefer. BFD.
I would have had a much bigger problem with this picture if it were of him drunk and making an ass of himself. How many times are celebs busted for DUI and nary a word is said? That's an activity that kills thousands every year and we just comment how bad they look in their mug shot.

Rebel Yell
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Rickie Williams turned down a lot more than 80K to smoke weed.

I don't know why this is even a story. The picture was him smoking some pot. So what. He wasn't snorting coke, like our prez, or shooting heroin like any number of recording industry stars, or smoking crack. He wasn't standing in front of a school selling dope to kids. He was at a party where the vast number of attendees were probably drinking, maybe drunk, and/or smoking some reefer. BFD.
I would have had a much bigger problem with this picture if it were of him drunk and making an ass of himself. How many times are celebs busted for DUI and nary a word is said? That's an activity that kills thousands every year and we just comment how bad they look in their mug shot.

He's been there, too. Busted for DUI after the Athens Olympics, at 18 years old. I, personally don't care. I like that he's a real kid, not a robot that just trains and jerks off to the thought of swimming 24 hours a day.

Lars1701a
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Hell, Shannon, he was HIGH. Trust me, potheads ALWAYS think it's cool to have a picture of themselve smoking the doobage. God only knows where the ones of me are floating around now.

Doobage? The eighties are calling they want their saying back :D

Rebel Yell
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Doobage? The eighties are calling they want their saying back :D

When I smoked it, we just called it dope. What do they call it nowadays? Chronic was popular when I quit.

Lars1701a
02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
When I smoked it, we just called it dope. What do they call it nowadays? Chronic was popular when I quit.

I have no idea, but I called it Latin lettuce :D

lacarnut
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
That photo is going to cost him a lot of endorsement bucks. On one hand that is shame and on the other hand it might wake him up to the fact that doing drugs has consequences. I give him a pass and hope he gets his shit together.

RobJohnson
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Did he inhale? :p

He was at a party, got really drunk and made a mistake.

Just shows he is human.

lacarnut
02-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Did he inhale? :p

He was at a party, got really drunk and made a mistake.

Just shows he is human.

It could have been a set up also. I would like to know who sent that picture to the media and if they got paid for it.

When I was his age, I did a lot of things crazier than smoking a reefer.

RobJohnson
02-03-2009, 02:29 AM
You all would be surprised how many new college graduates turn down high paying jobs because drug tests are required.

I just shake my head over somebody who turns down $80k / year because they want to get stoned.

This Phelps guy is just an idiot.

I have seen this alot of places that I have worked over the years.

Many would ask "do they have a piss test?"

RobJohnson
02-03-2009, 02:43 AM
I just thought his eyes were red from the chlorine. - Jay Leno

RobJohnson
02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Never share your pot with someone that has the lung capacity of a dolphin. - Conan O'Brien

There was also another joke about Phelps never getting glaucoma. :D

RobJohnson
02-06-2009, 01:13 AM
USA Swimming suspends Phelps for 3 months

Michael Phelps’ day grew lousier by the hour on Thursday.

First he lost a major sponsor, then he got suspended.

The Olympic great was suspended from competition for three months by USA Swimming, the latest fallout from a photo that showed him inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

The sport’s national governing body also cut off its financial support to Phelps for the same three-month period, effective immediately.

Phelps (http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-phelpssuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns)

snuglet
02-06-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm very disappointed because he's supposed to be a role model for kids. As far as charges and stuff, well, he wasn't really caught in the act so I'm not too keen on that.

If he had been busted in the act at a party, per se, I would be more supporting. If he's going to be busted on admission for smoking pot, then Obama needs to be busted for coke and, well, just being a menace to society :D

snuglet
02-06-2009, 06:28 AM
USA Swimming suspends Phelps for 3 months

Michael Phelps’ day grew lousier by the hour on Thursday.

First he lost a major sponsor, then he got suspended.

The Olympic great was suspended from competition for three months by USA Swimming, the latest fallout from a photo that showed him inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

The sport’s national governing body also cut off its financial support to Phelps for the same three-month period, effective immediately.

Phelps (http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-phelpssuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Cut off until the next Olympic trials, then he'll be back on the scene.

marinejcksn
02-06-2009, 06:29 AM
"Marijuana enhances many things; colors, shapes, sensations, but you are certainly not fucking empowered. When you're stoned, you're lucky if you can find your own goddamn feet! The only way it's a performance-enhancing drug is if there's a big fucking hershey bar at the end of the run." - Robin Williams:D

snuglet
02-06-2009, 06:30 AM
His stand up was so much funnier than his films.

marinejcksn
02-06-2009, 07:32 AM
You better believe it. It's incredible to think that about 85% of his Broadway standup special was all Ad-lib. :eek:

RobJohnson
02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm very disappointed because he's supposed to be a role model for kids. As far as charges and stuff, well, he wasn't really caught in the act so I'm not too keen on that.

If he had been busted in the act at a party, per se, I would be more supporting. If he's going to be busted on admission for smoking pot, then Obama needs to be busted for coke and, well, just being a menace to society :D

I agree. But of course he did not admit to it until after the picture came out!

Now there is talk of him being arrested for this. Is that his reward for being honest? Maybe he was so drunk he did not realize it was not pot in the bong?? ;)

wilbur
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe if I smoke pot I can win the Olympics too!

lacarnut
02-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Maybe if I smoke pot I can win the Olympics too!

Naw, that would only make you a DOPE!

rjas77
02-09-2009, 06:46 AM

HUH? Vote him President!

RobJohnson
02-10-2009, 03:37 AM
HUH? Vote him President!

HA! :D

gskibum
02-10-2009, 07:11 PM
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDc0MzBiOWZkZDRkODc5YTU4NmM3ZTVhOGU1NTA2MjM=

This

AmPat
02-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Marijuana and your Testicles - Military Photos9 Feb 2009 ... Frequent or long-term marijuana use may raise a man's risk of testicular ... Just being a marijuana smoker seemed to carry a 70% extra risk, ...
www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151233 - 52k - Cached - Similar pages:eek:

:eek: :eek:

I don't even want to know...................:cool:

YupItsMe
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
:eek:

:eek:
I don't even want to know...................:cool:

Well they shave all their body hair to be swimmers, gotta figure them testicles cause some drag in the water too. Just hav'em lobbed off after you get cancer.
:cool:

RobJohnson
02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Update.......

No pot charge for swimmer Phelps after photo

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP)—Now that Michael Phelps won’t face drug charges, he can try to distance himself from a photo that showed the Olympian smoking a marijuana pipe.

A South Carolina sheriff decided Monday after a highly publicized investigation that he simply didn’t have enough physical evidence to charge the 14-time gold medalist.

“We had a photo and we had him saying he was sorry for his inappropriate behavior. That behavior could’ve been going to a party,” Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said.

“He never said, ‘I smoked marijuana.’ He never confessed that,” the sheriff said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-phelps-marijuana&prov=ap&type=lgns