PDA

View Full Version : How cool is this!!!!

Jumpy
06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Wow!!!

http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-volley/spec-rel/062008aaa.html

Penn State Volleyball National Champions To Visit White House
Nittany Lions to meet with President Bush Tuesday

June 20, 2008

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Members of the Penn State men's and women's national championship volleyball teams will travel to Washington D.C. on Tuesday, June 24 to visit the White House and meet with President Bush for NCAA Champions Day.

The Nittany Lions will join 18 other NCAA National Championship teams to be honored, which includes a tour of the White House, photos with the President and a speech on the South Lawn. Each squad will also present the President with a gift.

In 2007-2008, Penn State became just the second school in NCAA history - and the first school ever outside of California - to have its men's and women's volleyball programs capture the national title in the same school year. The feat is also only the 19th time in NCAA history - in all Division I sports - that a program has had its men's and women's programs capture a national championship in the same academic year.

Phillygirl
06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Ok, seriously. Don't they need a chaperone? I can cancel court tomorrow. :p

And...way cool!!

gator
06-23-2008, 10:25 PM
The Nittany Lions will...

Good for your son, Jumpy!!

Jumpy
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Good for your son, Jumpy!!

I saw it before the edit. :D

To tell the truth, I am not even sure that my son is going. He was home last weekend and didnt even mention it, and I had to read about it on the internet!!! He is currently working a Volleyball camp, and I am not sure that he will even be able to go. I think this all happened pretty fast..some of the other starting players are playing all over the world right now. Maybe just a couple of representatives from each team will be there.
I sure hope my son gets to go, as it really is a chance of a lifetime.. politics aside, it is a huge honor.

Phillygirl
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM

To tell the truth, I am not even sure that my son is going. He was home last weekend and didnt even mention it, and I had to read about it on the internet!!! He is currently working a Volleyball camp, and I am not sure that he will even be able to go. I think this all happened pretty fast..some of the other starting players are playing all over the world right now. Maybe just a couple of representatives from each team will be there.
I sure hope my son gets to go, as it really is a chance of a lifetime.. politics aside, it is a huge honor.

Yes it is. Screw the camp. He needs to go to the White House!

gator
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes it is. Screw the camp. He needs to go to the White House!

You have been a naughty girl Philly but I forgive you.

Phillygirl
06-23-2008, 10:40 PM
You have been a naughty girl Philly but I forgive you.

Thanks gator. That means the world to me. Truly.

gator
06-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks gator. That means the world to me. Truly.

Don't ever do it again. It will be a vicious war and I have weapons that you don't even know about.

So much for that. Lets get back to the subject of the thread.

Phillygirl
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Don't ever do it again. It will be a vicious war and I have weapons that you don't even know about.

So much for that. Lets get back to the subject of the thread.

Oh, come on...you laughed. You know you did. Now congratulate Jumpy's son properly instead of by proxy.

Jumpy
06-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I kindve liked the "Screw the camp" comment. :D I didn't really notice it though until Gator highlighted it.

Okay, enough about that... hehe. I will let you know tomorrow, if and when I have details of what went down. My son is not answering his cell phone :mad: , but he is really good at calling back. I have my fingers crossed that he will be on the bus for DC.. or already is in DC.

Phillygirl
06-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I kindve liked the "Screw the camp" comment. :D I didn't really notice it though until Gator highlighted it.

Okay, enough about that... hehe. I will let you know tomorrow, if and when I have details of what went down. My son is not answering his cell phone :mad: , but he is really good at calling back. I have my fingers crossed that he will be on the bus for DC.. or already is in DC.

I hope so as well. You are right....politics aside, it is the opportunity of a lifetime and quite an honor.

marinejcksn
06-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Sweet! I love the lions. Nice job:D

Side note, has JoePa met bush?

SaintLouieWoman
06-23-2008, 11:11 PM

I'm so proud of your son and happy for you. Hope he gets to go.

Jumpy
06-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Sweet! I love the lions. Nice job:D

Hmmm.. I don't know if Paterno has met Bush. I would bet that he has been to the White House at some point in his long career.

Jumpy
06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Well it looks like my son was just about the only one on the team who did not go. I am so mad at him for not going!!! He probably thought it sounded boring.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/06/images/20080624-10_d-0551-515h.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
06-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Well it looks like my son was just about the only one on the team who did not go. I am so mad at him for not going!!! He probably thought it sounded boring.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/06/images/20080624-10_d-0551-515h.jpg

What a shame that he didn't go.

Phillygirl
06-24-2008, 10:48 PM

I can not believe he didn't go!!! Kick his butt!!

But cool for the other kids.

linda22003
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM

I think you mean, "Has Bush gotten to meet Paterno?" :p

marinejcksn
06-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I think you mean, "Has Bush gotten to meet Paterno?" :p

EXTREMELY well put Linda! :D
Myself, I've only gotten to see JoePa, never meet the great one in person.:(

linda22003
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
EXTREMELY well put Linda! :D
Myself, I've only gotten to see JoePa, never meet the great one in person.:(

I grew up with him, so to speak. My father was a high-level administrator with Penn State for many years, and Rip Engle was a good friend of the family. Paterno was Engle's assistant, so we knew him all along, to some extent. State College was a small town when I grew up there; the Class Clown in my junior high (whom my mother taught in elementary school), is now the director of the entire athletic program. My father isn't that many years older than Paterno, and keeps fussing that he should retire. :p

Jumpy
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I can not believe he didn't go!!! Kick his butt!!

But cool for the other kids.
I finally talked to him today. He did not go because he was working a volleyball camp, about an hour or so from the PSU campus, and he happened to be back at campus, but he realized he did not have his LICENSE, PHOTO ID with him.. he had left it back at the volleyball camp site. !!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! So he said it was "no biggie.. he just didnt go. He says he is not upset about it, and he didn't sound upset at all. I am upset!!!!

I guess I could be upset about worse things than this, but still!!!

Somehow ALL of the other team members managed to get there.. the athletes playing internationally, for the USA teams scattered all over the Country, and even the World.

Lots of pics are posted at the PSU website, the men's and women's teams were both invited, and the pics are cool!

This is one of my favorites. I would not want to upset one of these guys!!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/cryforthenightbird/teamguards.jpg

Phillygirl
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh, gosh. How terrible. I guess he needed the photo id for the plane or just for access to the white house?

Jumpy
06-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Oh, gosh. How terrible. I guess he needed the photo id for the plane or just for access to the white house?

Not the plane..being so close, they took a bus. He would've needed it for access to the White House.

marinejcksn
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I grew up with him, so to speak. My father was a high-level administrator with Penn State for many years, and Rip Engle was a good friend of the family. Paterno was Engle's assistant, so we knew him all along, to some extent. State College was a small town when I grew up there; the Class Clown in my junior high (whom my mother taught in elementary school), is now the director of the entire athletic program. My father isn't that many years older than Paterno, and keeps fussing that he should retire. :p

Joepa is a family friend?!?!?!:eek: Man, what I'd give to meet that guy. In my opinion he's the greatest college football coach of all time. I think his record will speak for itself and put him in the history books.;)

Wow, so you grew up in State College huh? I was down south in Southern Lancaster county, but I knew the State College area. My uncle went to school up at Penn State and a lot of my cousins went to college there and in the surrounding areas. Up further North I always loved driving through Lock Haven...we have a hunting cabin up in Clinton County just west of Williamsport.:D

linda22003
06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Yep, Happy Valley. :p

Phillygirl
06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Not the plane..being so close, they took a bus. He would've needed it for access to the White House.

Oh, man. Damn, the kid should have called. We could have gotten him his i.d. in time. Someday he'll look back on this and kick himself for it. But, nice to know that he's so laid back.