PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday

Shannon
06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Yes, it's Tuesday. Apparently some people are not aware of that fact. (SR!:mad:) I hoped my Tuesday woes would be over when Goldwater was replaced but nooooo. I have no topic of the day. I'm annoyed that I was forced to start this thread. Ginger, you must come up with something.

linda22003
06-24-2008, 09:58 AM
But I was good. Yesterday. I stepped up. :o

Goldwater
06-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Yay, I'm not the only lazy underachieving bum. :)

Gingersnap
06-24-2008, 10:09 AM
But I was good. Yesterday. I stepped up. :o

She doesn't care. I mean, what have you done for her today?

The weather continues to be perfect and the garden is flourishing (except one pepper plant with a bug issue). We're grilling hamburgers tonight with fresh corn.

TOTD: Have you ever survived any type of natural disaster that caused widespread havoc? A tree falling on your house doesn't count unless trees fell on dozens of houses at the same time. I'm looking for disasters here.

I've been through 2 tornadoes and one flood. The flood was worse.

Zeus
06-24-2008, 10:14 AM
She would never say where she came from
Yesterday dont matter if its gone
While the sun is bright
Or in the darkest night
No one knows
She comes and goes

Goodbye, ruby tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still Im gonna miss you...

Dont question why she needs to be so free
Shell tell you its the only way to be
She just cant be chained
To a life where nothings gained
And nothings lost
At such a cost

Shannon
06-24-2008, 10:27 AM
TOTD: Do hurricanes count?:p

Zeus
06-24-2008, 10:29 AM
TOTD: Do hurricanes count?:p

Only if you are in one ;)

biccat
06-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Cloudy, overcast, low 80s, and a chance at rain. A perfectly miserable day.

TOTD: If blizzards count, then yes. Otherwise, I tend to make it a habit to stay away from areas where hurricanes hit with incredible regularity. In fact, if you intentionally move into an area where you know you're going to get hit by a hurricane, surviving it shouldn't count.

Those people just ain't right in the head.

DarkScribe
06-24-2008, 12:00 PM
She doesn't care. I mean, what have you done for her today?

The weather continues to be perfect and the garden is flourishing (except one pepper plant with a bug issue). We're grilling hamburgers tonight with fresh corn.

TOTD: Have you ever survived any type of natural disaster that caused widespread havoc? A tree falling on your house doesn't count unless trees fell on dozens of houses at the same time. I'm looking for disasters here.

I've been through 2 tornadoes and one flood. The flood was worse.

TOTD: Well, no trees falling on dozens of homes (in our immediate area anyway) but we survived 3 hurricanes in as many months (the summer of 04) and dealt with power outages that last for almost 2 weeks (from Charlie, numero uno hurricane), shortages of gasoline because of everyone freaking out, and crazy-ass crowds at the supermarkets prior to said storms arriving buying up EVERYTHING (needless to say we managed to grab up cans of chili and Doritos to weather the storm...we already had gallons of bottled water). Some fared much much worse than we did...but it was an experience we don't care to repeat now that we own a home instead of rent. Although we do need a nice new privacy fence! :p

Shannon
06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
TOTD: Well, no trees falling on dozens of homes (in our immediate area anyway) but we survived 3 hurricanes in as many months (the summer of 04) and dealt with power outages that last for almost 2 weeks (from Charlie, numero uno hurricane), shortages of gasoline because of everyone freaking out, and crazy-ass crowds at the supermarkets prior to said storms arriving buying up EVERYTHING (needless to say we managed to grab up cans of chili and Doritos to weather the storm...we already had gallons of bottled water). Some fared much much worse than we did...but it was an experience we don't care to repeat now that we own a home instead of rent. Although we do need a nice new privacy fence! :p

I totally forgot about the ridiculousness with the gas.:rolleyes: I remember eating room temp Chef Boyardee not Doritos or chili. And a tree fell on my parents house. My mom was out of town and poor dad didn't know what to do!:p

LogansPapa
06-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Sun's just coming out now - and it's not so damn hot.

TOTD: I think I was four - in Ft. Smith, AR to visit my grandmother, with my mom and dad. Went to the movies and the show stopped and they told us to all get down in the cellar. Listened to a sound that was not of this world (normally) and then the rendering of huge timbers being blown from the building for about two minutes - then it was gone. A few minutes later they let us all out of there into the stone silent night and the building and both on either side of it had ceased to exist. Apparently 9 people died in my grandma’s town that night. I won’t ever forget that.

asdf2231
06-24-2008, 02:22 PM
TOTD

2 Hurricanes and the advent of new coke. *shudder!*

lacarnut
06-24-2008, 04:36 PM
I have been thru several hurricanes. Never had any damage to my property but being without electricity for 4 or 5 days when the temp. is in the mid 90's is a bitch. When I got too hot, I would drive around for a few min. with the AC on to cool off.

gator
06-24-2008, 06:14 PM
We just had a terrific Florida thunderstorm cell form over my area. About 45 minutes of hard lightening and thunder. Over two and half inches of rain. Hail and strong winds nearby. The pool is even overflowing. When the rain was coming down the hardest your see more than ten feet out the window.

I love Florida in the summertime. The weather scares the cat and all she wanted to do is curl up in my lap so I can protect her. Her little heart is beating fast and her ears turn at the sound of every thunder.

DarkScribe
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
We just had a terrific Florida thunderstorm cell form over my area. About 45 minutes of hard lightening and thunder. Over two and half inches of rain. Hail and strong winds nearby. The pool is even overflowing. When the rain was coming down the hardest your see more than ten feet out the window.

I love Florida in the summertime. The weather scares the cat and all she wanted to do is curl up in my lap so I can protect her. Her little heart is beating fast and her ears turn at the sound of every thunder.

Yeah, that cell just swept through our area and poured rain and thunder-boomers for about an hour or so. Done now. I think we (our immediate area) missed the worst of it, although the weather-alerts are still posting on the local TV channels...

SarasotaRepub
06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Oops! Sorry everyone! :D

I was running late this morning!

TOTD: Hurricane Bertha while on vacation in St. Thomas. Direct hit on the island. Did the "usual" damage you might expect from a weak Cat 2 cane. Some planes flipped over at the airport, downed trees, etc.

The hotel I was at was Frenchman's Reef and has it's own power and water. We all got put in the basement for a few hours. Didn't have a digital camera back then so no pics but the eye did go directly over the island.

:cool:

Shannon
06-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Oops! Sorry everyone! :D

I can't even believe that you would show your face.:mad:

gator
06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, that cell just swept through our area and poured rain and thunder-boomers for about an hour or so. Done now. I think we (our immediate area) missed the worst of it, although the weather-alerts are still posting on the local TV channels...

This is what just hit us:

http://www.baynews9.com/images/wx/doppler/Hillsborough/1214345433.jpg

SarasotaRepub
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I can't even believe that you would show your face.:mad:

Well I could have just deleted the thread and started over...:p:D

Oh, and Hurricane Charley was a close miss when I was in Sarasota. Very close.:eek:

Shannon
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Oh, and Hurricane Charley was a close miss when I was in Sarasota. Very close.:eek:

Close? Charley was close to you? We're on a first name basis.:rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
06-24-2008, 07:20 PM
I lived in Florida for 9 years and we never had to use the hurricane supplies. None even came close.

So, we move to the mountains of North Georgia and within a year, BOOM, a hurrican blows through. Trees down. Power out. 100 mph winds.

We don't have hurricane supplies up here. We have ice storm supplies.

I think the hurrican was Opal.

SarasotaRepub
06-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Close? Charley was close to you? We're on a first name basis.:rolleyes:

Hee,hee! Actually it was closer to gator than me. We never even got TS force winds and the T-Storms the next day were worse than anything we got when it blew through. At one point they had the eye projected to come right over my house. :D

Don't forget the hurricane force winds were in a band less than 10 miles wide. Not that that helped the people down in Punta Gorda...:(

DarkScribe
06-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Yeah, my parents got the shocker of their lives with Charlie/Charley....it was "supposed" to hit land due north of them, in Tampa/St. Pete, but decided to do that last-minute "jog" to the east and plowed right inland around Punta Gorda (they live in North Ft Myers, which is about 20 minutes or so away...a stone's throw). They "hunkered down" in the walk-in closet with water and supplies...luckily the roof held (god bless that 70's construction, honestly...the guy that built the house knew his shit) but the pool screen enclosure went bye-bye as did some of their landscaping.

Phillygirl
06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
About 11 years ago there was a fairly significant flood in my area. My power was out for 4 days, but for many others it was 1-2 weeks. There was no real problem with my house...except that I had just moved there and an old neighbor called me to tell me that they were talking on the news about evacuating the area around the reservoir. Now, I knew the reservoir was near me (as every neighborhood surrounding me seemed to be named after it), but I wasn't exactly sure where it was. So I had no idea if I should be worried or not. Turns out I didn't really need to be.

Oh...and the dumb thing I did...my boss followed me home to make certain I got home okay. As I got ready to cross the "creek" I noticed that the water had come up over the road (fairly significantly) and the van in front of me was having a little trouble getting through. So I steeled myself to drive through it, figuring I just needed to keep up my speed to make certain I didn't get stuck in the middle of it. At the last minute I looked in my mirror and realized my boss was madly flashing his lights at me and turning his car around. Once we stopped he asked me "what the f*** were you thinking?". Oh. That's when I learned that you aren't ever supposed to try to cross a creek that has flooded over the road. Yeah. That makes sense. Sometimes my blond shows.

SarasotaRepub
06-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah, my parents got the shocker of their lives with Charlie/Charley....it was "supposed" to hit land due north of them, in Tampa/St. Pete, but decided to do that last-minute "jog" to the east and plowed right inland around Punta Gorda (they live in North Ft Myers, which is about 20 minutes or so away...a stone's throw). They "hunkered down" in the walk-in closet with water and supplies...luckily the roof held (god bless that 70's construction, honestly...the guy that built the house knew his shit) but the pool screen enclosure went bye-bye as did some of their landscaping.

Oh ya! The house SLW and I were staying at on Sanibel lost it's pool cage also thanks to Charley. It was a two story one and cost the owners 16K to replace! :eek: Insurance didn't cover it because they did something really stupid with their coverage a few months before the cane hit.

It was supposed to hit around Tampa. They had lowered all the I-75 lights up around me and left them up around the Port Charlotte area. They got snapped like twigs being so top heavy.

Were you and Shannon on CU at that time? Remember the DUmmies jumped on a story that a couple of losers started that was of course false? Bodies all over Puta Gorda...they were stacked like cordwood...Jeb brought in the infamous "Ice Trucks" to hide all the dead!!! God did they end up looking like total morons on that one!!!:D

SaintLouieWoman
06-24-2008, 09:24 PM
About 11 years ago there was a fairly significant flood in my area. My power was out for 4 days, but for many others it was 1-2 weeks. There was no real problem with my house...except that I had just moved there and an old neighbor called me to tell me that they were talking on the news about evacuating the area around the reservoir. Now, I knew the reservoir was near me (as every neighborhood surrounding me seemed to be named after it), but I wasn't exactly sure where it was. So I had no idea if I should be worried or not. Turns out I didn't really need to be.

Oh...and the dumb thing I did...my boss followed me home to make certain I got home okay. As I got ready to cross the "creek" I noticed that the water had come up over the road (fairly significantly) and the van in front of me was having a little trouble getting through. So I steeled myself to drive through it, figuring I just needed to keep up my speed to make certain I didn't get stuck in the middle of it. At the last minute I looked in my mirror and realized my boss was madly flashing his lights at me and turning his car around. Once we stopped he asked me "what the f*** were you thinking?". Oh. That's when I learned that you aren't ever supposed to try to cross a creek that has flooded over the road. Yeah. That makes sense. Sometimes my blond shows.

If you don't live in a flood-prone area, you wouldn't be aware of that. Learned that when I lived in San Antonio from the evening news, with pics of folks floating away down the raging river (that was normally a dry creek bed).

TOTD: Had a tree fall on my previous house, did $40k damage, from those straight line winds. I think it was a tornado, but not an official one. There were a lot of huge branches down, but no one else with a tree on the house. Problem was, it was about a 50 foot tall tree, huge monster.