PDA

View Full Version : Eco terrorists ram Japanese ship

Sonnabend
02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25016025-23109,00.html

A PROTEST ship in the Southern Ocean has rammed a Japanese whaling vessel in what protesters say is the most intense clash the two groups have ever had.M21 is now cordially invited to disown this act of eco terrorism on a foreign flag ship in international waters.

Ramming a ship is in direct contravention of international law, of the maritime regulations of free passage and of international regulations regarding separation of ships at sea. That he was this close to the Japanese ship means that he has broken several laws that specifically state that ships are NOT to get within close approach distance at any time.

Paul Watson has now offiically committed a criminal act, and is now in a position to have his license removed.The Dutch authorities might also want to ask him what he was doing so close to a foreign flag ship in international waters.

Captain Paul Watson, from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, said his ship, the Steve Irwin, was forced to hit the Japanese ship Yushin Maru No. 2 about 8.30am (AEDT)."Forced"? That's an interesting lie.

Mr Watson said his protest ship was trying to stop the Japanese from pulling a whale onto a ship when the clash happened.
Maybe you should obey the laws governing international shipping (http://www.imo.org/Conventions/contents.asp?doc_id=649&topic_id=257)

"The Yushin Maru No. 1 was transferring the whale up the slipway and we were trying to block that transfer and the Yushin Maru No. 2 just shot right in front of us," Mr Watson said, speaking via satellite phone.You were too close. You would be happy to see the ship sink and watch the sailors drown, all in the name of Mother Gaia. You're a terrorist and a criminal.

"I couldn't move to starboard without hitting the vessel and I couldn't move to port without hitting them.Then you were way too close.You have just admitted to conduct that by rights should see you stripped of your maritime license.

"I tried to back off, but it was too sudden and we ran right into their stern ... they threw themselves right in front of us. There wasn't anything we could do". Mr Watson said he crushed a railing at the back of the Japanese ship but was unaware of anyone being injured.Much to your intense disappointment

He said in the five years his ships had been confronting the Japanese in Antarctic waters, this season had seen the most extreme clashes. "This has certainly been the most intense confrontation we have had with the Japanese whalers over the last five campaigns we have had down here," Mr Watson said.That's a nice way of sugar coating criminal activity.

"We have never seen them this aggressive. They are obviously frustrated at the money they are losing and they have been ordered to do whatever needs to be done in order to prevent us from preventing them from killing whales."
Translation: they have had a guitful of you and are exercising their right to self defence.

Mr Watson has accused Japan of using a Long Range Acoustical Device (LRAD) weapon, which fires loud bursts of sound, at his crew and a helicopter.
What was your helicopter doing over their ship, Mr Watson?

"They used the LRAD twice on a helicopter. That is an extremely irresponsible thing to do because they could bring down the aircraft," Mr Watson said.So why was it so close to a ship in free transit in international waters, pray tell? Those weapons are short range only.

Glenn Inwood from Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research (ICR) said he was not aware the vessels had struck each other, but the whalers had to be able to defend themselves."There is nothing about attacking here. It is all about defending the vessels against Sea Shepherd," Mr Inwood said.Correct, sir, and thank you for stating the truth.

"It is an absolute right of any vessel to defend itself against maritime criminals and that is all that Japan has been doing. "They are committing acts of terror on the high seas under the flag of the Netherlands and Japan has not attacked anyone here."Again, correct.

But Mr Watson said he was in no doubt Japan had attacked his ship. "They came in and attacked us. We have a lot of cameras on board, and this is all being recorded ... there is no mistaking what they were doing," he said. Excuse me..you rammed their ship. You were too close to their vessel.It is your responsibility as ship's captain to see to it that a collision does not happen.

The only extrapolation is that you did it deliberately and you are now LYING

I wonder what the maritime authorities will have to say after they examine the case of just how it was that you came within collision distance of another vessel in open ocean in international waters, in direct contravention of maritime law.

I'd also be interested to ask what that helicopter was doing, and to see if there will be an enquiry into the pilots actions. He may find himself grounded.

Sonnabend
02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I just spoke to Greenpeace: WHO HAVE OFFICIALLY DISOWNED THE SEA SHEPHERD and its Captain and its tactics.

Greenpeace DO NOT support his actions in any way.

MrsSmith
02-05-2009, 09:06 PM
The DUmp view of this, including mike c's "intelligent opinions." (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3725646) :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Harry Monroe Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Feb-05-09 08:29 PM
Response to Original message
18. I am no fan of whaling, but the "Steve Irwin" was clearly at fault here

I am a 20 year veteran of the Merchant Marine and a deck officer. I often pilot and conn ships and the "Steve Irwin" is clearly at fault, especially if the Japanese whaler vessel was engaged in pulling a whale onto the ship. The Japanese whaling ship had the right of way, this is called "restricted in the ability to maneuver", especially if the "Steve Irwin" was astern of her. If she rammed the stern Japanese whaling vessel, she would be considered an overtaking and had the obligation of staying out of the way of the vessel being overtaken, ie: the Japanese whaling vessel.

Again I do not condone whaling in any way, shape or form, but this is the law of the sea according to the COLREGS (Collision Regulations) and the captain of the "Steve Irwin" should face a court of admiralty law for this action and have his license suspended.

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/gadget-freak/1ApplauseCard.gif

tacitus
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Sink the bastards.

Sonnabend
02-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Sink the bastards.

The Irwin? Or the Japanese ship?

lacarnut
02-05-2009, 09:33 PM

The Japs should start using weapons against these idiots when they threathen their ship and safety.

AHeneen
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM

The Irwin, most definitely. It would have been much better if the whalers had video cameras to record this and the many other incidents in which they are likewise targeted. If vessels can have equipment to protect themselves from piracy, then surely the whalers could add some machine guns to protect themselves in the future from such deliberate damage.

Sonnabend
02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Waiting for Tacitus to clarify his comment.

megimoo
02-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I just spoke to Greenpeace: WHO HAVE OFFICIALLY DISOWNED THE SEA SHEPHERD and its Captain and its tactics.

Greenpeace DO NOT support his actions in any way.
Where are the Japanese defence forces?they should be protecting their research ships from these half wits.I saw a TV show about the Sea Shepard's and their aggressive tactics against the Japanese .If I were one of the Japanese ships captains I would be using RPG'S against these idiots .

The hippy ship follow behind then run up the side of the Japanese ships and throw stink bombs onto the decks .The Japanese sometime respond with fire hoses against the hippie ship .The Sea Shepard's crew are essentially pirates and should be treated as such.

anti-whaling activists; Sea Shepherd Steve Irwin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT4v3e4E44s
Whaling War! Sea Shepherd Captain Shot by Japanese?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b322f6ZQfkY&feature=related
Sea Shepherd and the Japanese Coast Guard in German NEWS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4cbglTJW8&feature=related
Coward terrorist Seashepherd gets warning shots and flees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkkjE3K3Zw&feature=related

Sonnabend
02-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Flying skull and crossbones flag at bow. Pirate flag.

tacitus
02-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Sorry I should have clarified my comment, I meant the Irwin ship.