PDA

View Full Version : Dunkin' Donuts pulls Rachael Ray ad

Eyelids
05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Dunkin' Donuts pulls Rachael Ray ad

The coffee and donut chain says it yanked online spot to avoid 'misperception'; professor says links to extremism are narrow-minded and even racist.

BOSTON (AP) -- Dunkin' Donuts has pulled an online advertisement featuring Rachael Ray after complaints that a fringed black-and-white scarf that the celebrity chef wore in the ad offers symbolic support for Muslim extremism and terrorism.

The coffee and baked goods chain said the ad that began appearing online May 7 was pulled over the past weekend because "the possibility of misperception detracted from its original intention to promote our iced coffee."

In the spot, Ray holds an iced coffee while standing in front of trees with pink blossoms.

Conservative commentator Michelle Malkin complained that the scarf wrapped around her looked like a kaffiyeh, the traditional Arab headdress. ''The kaffiyeh, for the clueless, is the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad,'' Malkin wrote in her syndicated column.

More (http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/29/news/companies/dunkin_donuts.ap/index.htm)

ralph wiggum
05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd move this to the Whiny Zone, unfortunately that forum isn't up yet. I'll just change the title instead.

Eyelids
05-30-2008, 03:02 PM
http://i.l.cnn.net/money/2008/05/29/news/companies/dunkin_donuts.ap/rachael_ray.ap.03.jpg

she is absolutely terrifying. You can just see how much of a terrorist she is.

FlaGator
05-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I just knew she was up to something nefarious. When are they shipping her off to Club Gitmo?

LogansPapa
05-30-2008, 03:05 PM
This is an idiotic over-reaction, at best. :rolleyes:

Aklover
05-30-2008, 03:19 PM
This is an idiotic over-reaction, at best. :rolleyes:

Tragicly thats the American way isn't it. Ironic that you can buy scarfs and shemaghs like that out many stores/wholesalers that sell tactical gear. like so........................

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?xax=27834&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=25385&M5%2Ectx=25385&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Headwear&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Clothing&BC4%2Ectx=Headwear&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Flevel3c%2Etam

Gern
05-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Mweh.

She's overexposed, anyway.

LogansPapa
05-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Tragicly thats the American way isn't it. Ironic that you can buy scarfs and shemaghs like that out many stores/wholesalers that sell tactical gear. like so........................

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?xax=27834&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=25385&M5%2Ectx=25385&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Headwear&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Clothing&BC4%2Ectx=Headwear&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Flevel3c%2Etam

Yep - I put this tripe in the "American Fries" column. We’re blind sheep doing circles at the bottom of a well.:cool:

jinxmchue
05-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Hmm... Yeah. This is a case of over-reacting, just like when Jews over-react about swastikas. Hey, if I want to wear a swastika as a fashion statement completely divorced from how the Nazis used it, I should have that right! How to wear it, though... Hrm... Maybe on a fashionable red armband...

jinxmchue
05-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Yep - I put this tripe in the "American Fries" column. We’re blind sheep doing circles at the bottom of a well.:cool:

Oh, goodie! I get to relive the satisfaction of putting your sorry behind on ignore again. Whee!

jinxmchue
05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I love the excuse about the scarf: "It was paisley!" rofl! If that's paisley, then my white cotton undies are argyle.

LogansPapa
05-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Hmm... Yeah. This is a case of over-reacting, just like when Jews over-react about swastikas. Hey, if I want to wear a swastika as a fashion statement completely divorced from how the Nazis used it, I should have that right! How to wear it, though... Hrm... Maybe on a fashionable red armband...

I don't think I understand - so when our troops and British soldiers wear the shemagh head dress they're ......?:confused: