PDA

View Full Version : slingbox

Lars1701a
02-07-2009, 03:33 PM
I just bought a slingbox solo to use on my laptop.

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Any one ever use one of these things? I have a sprint internet card on my laptop and was wondering if that was fast enough for it?

tacitus
02-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't have a slingbox but I did setup my neighbors for him. His ran fine until he encountered the firewall at work. As long as your Internet connection UP/Down load speeds are within their parameters you should be OK. Be advised there are some businesses that will firewall the connection and you won't be able to get in to your programs. Also be advised that the receiver box you use for the programming better not be your main TV receiver box. Like TIVO and PVR's the channel will change based on what you request from the laptop connection.

Lars1701a
02-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't have a slingbox but I did setup my neighbors for him. His ran fine until he encountered the firewall at work. As long as your Internet connection UP/Down load speeds are within their parameters you should be OK. Be advised there are some businesses that will firewall the connection and you won't be able to get in to your programs. Also be advised that the receiver box you use for the programming better not be your main TV receiver box. Like TIVO and PVR's the channel will change based on what you request from the laptop connection.

Thanks I am using my laptop as my viewing device. I am wondering if my ISP for my laptop will be able to handle it.

tacitus
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
There is only one way to find out, install slingbox and see what happens.

Lars1701a
02-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I got it all hooked up and it works well on my wifi at home but I have to try it out on the road for the final test. :D

If it works as well on the road as at home I will keep it. I love it.

tacitus
02-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Great news I am glad it worked out for you at home, let's hope it works on the road. As long as there are company firewalls, you should be OK. Good luck!:D