PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff: Stranded fishermen 'should have known better'

SarasotaRepub
02-07-2009, 09:15 PM
(CNN) -- An Ohio sheriff had harsh words for ice fishermen who had to be rescued Saturday after high winds and rising temperatures caused an ice floe to break away and strand about 150 of them on Lake Erie.

The incident, in which one person was pronounced dead after being transported to the hospital, came after the National Weather Service issued a warning that ice floes could break away from the main ice area in the western section of the lake.

At least some of those rescued were fishermen.

"This just cost the taxpayers a ton of money," Ottawa County, Ohio, Sheriff Bob Bratton said. "We lost a life out there today. ... I'm sorry a man lost his life out there today. These people should have known better."

Jeeze! (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/07/Ohio.stuck.on.ice/index.html)

PoliCon
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Jeeze! (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/07/Ohio.stuck.on.ice/index.html)

make them pay for their rescue. People should know that actions have consiquences and when you act STUPIDLY - you need to be made to pay for it.

noonwitch
02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
make them pay for their rescue. People should know that actions have consiquences and when you act STUPIDLY - you need to be made to pay for it.

I live in Macomb County, Michigan, which has Lake St. Clair on the east side. Every year, stupid ice fisherman go out too far on this shallow lake, and every year, somebody gets caught on a moving ice flow.

Our Sheriff instituted a policy of one free rescue-if you are stupid enough to stranded twice, you have to pay for your rescue.

PoliCon
02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I live in Macomb County, Michigan, which has Lake St. Clair on the east side. Every year, stupid ice fisherman go out too far on this shallow lake, and every year, somebody gets caught on a moving ice flow.

Our Sheriff instituted a policy of one free rescue-if you are stupid enough to stranded twice, you have to pay for your rescue.
screw that. NO free rescues. If you're stupid enough to not know the limits and dangers of your past time - don't expect the rest of us to pay for your stupid mistakes.

Gingersnap
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Colorado spends a lot of money on S&R every year. In the winter, it's people skiing out of bounds who get caught in avalanches and snowmobilers who break down in the back country but never let anybody know where they were going. In the summer, it's hikers and rock climbers who are way past their ability levels and who also didn't file a plan with anybody.

The state has gradually become a lot more aggressive about collecting money for these rescue efforts. People with up-to-date Conservation Certificates (i.e., licenses) get free rescuing but everybody will eventually get billed. They don't collect the full amount usually but it does serve as a big wake-up call to casual outdoors people. Those helicopters and dogs really cost a lot.

There's a big difference between a genuine accident (car crashes, disoriented human wanders into the woods) and defiant risk-taking (random skiing or hiking without a plan).

noonwitch
02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
screw that. NO free rescues. If you're stupid enough to not know the limits and dangers of your past time - don't expect the rest of us to pay for your stupid mistakes.

What kills me about it is that there are plenty of smaller lakes, in which it is perfectly safe to ice fish, all over the state (although not this week, everything is melting). People feel they have to go on one of the "big lakes", like Lakes Michigan, Erie and St. Clair, which are too large of bodies of water to freeze over completely, and are too far south for that, anyways.

cat714
02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I read online that more fisherman (probably the same guys) were back out there the next day. :confused: Idiots.

Eldarwen Half-Elven
02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I've noticed that, generally speaking, a lot of (if not most) fisherman AND golfers are rather stupid. Fisherman will fish under ANY conditions, and golfers will golf drunk and under ANY conditions. Gah, my father is the head superintendent at a private club, and it's amazing what you see...