PDA

View Full Version : Fish à la Meunière

patriot45
02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Or in english - Sautéed Fish with Butter, Lemon & Parsley :D. I made it with a mushroom risotto. This was restaurant worthy! The hardest part was the risotto. The supermarket had a fish called Kingklip (http://www7.taosnet.com/platinum/data/light/species/kingklip.html) on sale so I used that.

Mushroom risotto

Ingredients
6 to 8 cups chicken stock
5 ounces dried mushrooms (porcini or other wild dried mushrooms)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 shallots, minced
2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white vermouth
2/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
Salt and pepper
Directions
Heat the stock and ladle 2 cups into a medium bowl. Add dried mushrooms and let soak for 20 minutes, then drain, reserving the liquid. Pour liquid through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth or paper towels to catch any grit. Add mushroom liquid back to warm stock. Keep stock heated over medium heat. Pat soaked mushrooms dry and saute in a large skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Heat remaining olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened. Add rice and cook, stirring, until the rice becomes translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add vermouth and stir until absorbed by rice. Add warm mushroom stock to rice, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly. All stock must be fully absorbed before the next cup of stock is added. After about 20 minutes, the rice should be tender but not mushy, it should have a creamy texture. Add more stock if needed. Fold in Sauteed mushrooms, Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for a minute before serving. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.

The fish

Heat a sauté pan over medium heat for a minute, then add a couple of tablespoons of butter.

Season the fish fillet to taste with Kosher salt and just a tiny amount of ground white pepper.

Dredge the fish in flour and shake off any excess.

Gently place the floured fillet into the hot pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until there's a nice golden-brown color, then carefully flip it over. Cook for another couple of minutes or until this side is golden-brown, too.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/wildgame021.jpg

Remove fish from pan and place it on a warm plate.

Add a chunk of whole butter to the pan and swirl it around. Cook until it turns slightly brown.

Now add a few tablespoons of lemon juice and some chopped parsley to the hot butter. Cook for just a few seconds, letting it bubble a bit, then pour onto the fish and serve right away. Garnish with a thin slice of lemon if you like.
Tips:
If you soak the fish in milk before dredging it in flour, it will help with the browning. But make sure you shake off any excess milk before dredging so that it doesn't get too clumpy.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/wildgame024.jpg

JB
02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
This was restaurant worthy!Too funny!
KingklipNever heard of it and it looks like it's not caught off US shores anywhere.

Looks good in the pan and on the plate though.

patriot45
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey JB, missed ya and your 2 week avatar! :cool::D

megimoo
02-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Or in english - Sautéed Fish with Butter, Lemon & Parsley :D. I made it with a mushroom risotto. This was restaurant worthy! The hardest part was the risotto. The supermarket had a fish called Kingklip (http://www7.taosnet.com/platinum/data/light/species/kingklip.html) on sale so I used that.

Mushroom risotto

Ingredients
6 to 8 cups chicken stock
5 ounces dried mushrooms (porcini or other wild dried mushrooms)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 shallots, minced
2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white vermouth
2/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
Salt and pepper
Directions
Heat the stock and ladle 2 cups into a medium bowl. Add dried mushrooms and let soak for 20 minutes, then drain, reserving the liquid. Pour liquid through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth or paper towels to catch any grit. Add mushroom liquid back to warm stock. Keep stock heated over medium heat. Pat soaked mushrooms dry and saute in a large skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Heat remaining olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened. Add rice and cook, stirring, until the rice becomes translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add vermouth and stir until absorbed by rice. Add warm mushroom stock to rice, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly. All stock must be fully absorbed before the next cup of stock is added. After about 20 minutes, the rice should be tender but not mushy, it should have a creamy texture. Add more stock if needed. Fold in Sauteed mushrooms, Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for a minute before serving. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.

The fish

Heat a sauté pan over medium heat for a minute, then add a couple of tablespoons of butter.

Season the fish fillet to taste with Kosher salt and just a tiny amount of ground white pepper.

Dredge the fish in flour and shake off any excess.

Gently place the floured fillet into the hot pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until there's a nice golden-brown color, then carefully flip it over. Cook for another couple of minutes or until this side is golden-brown, too.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/wildgame021.jpg

Remove fish from pan and place it on a warm plate.

Add a chunk of whole butter to the pan and swirl it around. Cook until it turns slightly brown.

Now add a few tablespoons of lemon juice and some chopped parsley to the hot butter. Cook for just a few seconds, letting it bubble a bit, then pour onto the fish and serve right away. Garnish with a thin slice of lemon if you like.
Tips:
If you soak the fish in milk before dredging it in flour, it will help with the browning. But make sure you shake off any excess milk before dredging so that it doesn't get too clumpy.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food/wildgame024.jpg

How was the texture of the fish ?It looks,from the pictures,to be a species of eel but your photos show a much thicker fish.

Have you ever thought of going public with your cuisine ?You could offer a few dishes from your dining room to a small group of invited customer/guests and advise them to pay what ever they thought was an reasonable price.You could email a menu of the day to those you invite and ask for suggestions for future dishes.It would offer you the opportunity to enlarge your repitour and develop new dishes and have some idea what dishes are popular with some people.I love to cook and experiment with new dishes that aren't necessarily elegant but offer a chance to learn a different cooking technique .I would like to learn to cook Mexican style using authentic ingredients and understanding which chili pepper offers what taste to the dish.I have already developed something of a taste for chicken mole and mole Verde .

gator
02-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Fish looks good but the risotto looks mushy.

megimoo
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Fish looks good but the risotto looks mushy.Actually 'creamy' .It's saturated with chicken stock and is releasing all of it's starch .

patriot45
02-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Actually 'creamy' .It's saturated with chicken stock and is releasing all of it's starch .

Correct, it was creamy with just a little al dente!

Kingklip does look kinda strange, supposedly there are different kinds. The golden is supposed to be the best, I have no idea which one I had :D.

The texture was firm, white and very mild tasting.