PDA

View Full Version : Quiznos Climbs In Bed With PETA.

Gingersnap
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Quiznos adopts new PETA-backed food policies

Associated Press
Published February 11, 2009 at 12:05 a.m.

The Quiznos sandwich chain said Tuesday it has adopted a new animal-welfare policy for the eggs, pork and turkey it buys.

The Denver-based chain said it came up with the policy in conjunction with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"We are always trying to find new ways to be better corporate citizens, and we'll continue to seek those ways," Quiznos spokesman Joe Hodas said.

Quiznos will buy more eggs from cage-free chickens, more pork raised in crate-free environments and more turkeys that are killed using a method that PETA described as more humane, in which the birds' oxygen supply is replaced by other gases. The chain also removed eggs from three of its four cookies on the menu.

The changes will be phased in, and purchasing preference will be given to suppliers who use cage- or crate-free systems.

PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich says his group still prefers diners buy Quiznos' vegetarian sandwich, but he praised the chain for the new standards.

Privately held Quiznos has about 5,000 U.S. stores.

I'm all for better meat production methods but PETA is just evil. The ultimate goal is to cage human beings off from any contact with animals at all.

If I ate these types of sandwiches (and I don"t), I'd switch to a rival chain and let Quiznos know that PETA is off my menu.

Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/11/quiznos-adopts-new-peta-backed-food-policies/)

linda22003
02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Quizno's food is pretty evil, so they're well matched. :cool:

Apocalypse
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Quiznos will buy more eggs from cage-free chickens, more pork raised in crate-free environments and more turkeys that are killed using a method that PETA described as more humane,If not for the fact this is Peta driven I would be saying, interesting idea.

But realistically...

Very... very... very... few farmers raise "Cage-Free" chickens any more. In fact most chickens raised in the states are almost all caged raised as its an almost complete factory farming industry now as non factory chicken farming just cost too much. This I see doing one of two things. The cost of their eggs are going to be much higher, thus they will need to raise the prices of their subs, or their going to say they will do this, and not really do it.

"Crate-Free" pork I take in meaning that they will seek non factory raised hogs. But being in the meat industry my self, unless they intend to buy directly from private farmers, going through the usual chain of suppliers, they can never know if the pork they bought from say Hormel or one of the other numerous packers didn't prepare the ham from a hog that came from a factory farm. All one needs to do is look at the new meat packing rules regarding nations of origins labeling required on meat packages you buy. Case in point, we now have to put, "Product of USA, Canada or Mexico." on all our Beef packages now, even though we buy from IBP (Iowa Beef Producers). This is because we can't say for certain that one cow didn't come from Mexico and ended up in the primal cut we brought in. It could have come from any where.

And lastly Turkeys killed in a Humane method allowed by Peta? How is that?

This is one they wanted on one packing plant.

PETA ... The animals were killed in front of each other

Private slaughter rooms for the turkeys?

Rebel Yell
02-11-2009, 01:01 PM

I've never really cared for Quizno's anyway. I love me some Firehouse subs, though.

lacarnut
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM

My first and last Quizno's sub was a big zero.

linda22003
02-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I've never really cared for Quizno's anyway. I love me some Firehouse subs, though.

Never heard of it; I don't think they have it around here.

FlaGator
02-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Never heard of it; I don't think they have it around here.

Firehouse Subs started in Jacksonville and are some of the best subs I've ever tasted. Their meatball sum is superior to any of the other sub shops I've eaten at.

biccat
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Man, I really liked Quiznos. Their Mesquite chicken sammich is delicious.

Rebel Yell
02-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Firehouse Subs started in Jacksonville and are some of the best subs I've ever tasted. Their meatball sum is superior to any of the other sub shops I've eaten at.

You could set one their meatball subs on top of your head, and your tongue'll beat your brains out trying to get to it.

noonwitch
02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
We've got local shops with way better subs than Quiznos. Second Street Subs in Royal Oak is excellent, and Tubby's is a local chain that also sells fried mushroom. Mmm.