PDA

View Full Version : Review of Coffin Photo Ban

Apocalypse
02-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Gates Orders Review of Coffin Photo Ban
February 11, 2009
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered a review Tuesday of a Pentagon policy banning media from taking pictures of flag-draped coffins of U.S. military dead, signaling he was open to overturning the policy to better honor fallen soldiers.

At least two Democratic senators have called on President Barack Obama to let news photographers attend ceremonies at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware and other military facilities when military remains are returned to the United States. Obama told reporters Monday he was reviewing the ban.

"If the needs of the families can be met, and the privacy concerns can be addressed, the more honor we can accord these fallen heroes, the better," Gates told reporters at a Pentagon news conference Tuesday. "So I'm pretty open to whatever the results of this review may be."

http://www.military.com/news/article/February-2009/gates-orders-review-of-coffin-photo-ban.html?wh=wh

Odysseus
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Gates Orders Review of Coffin Photo Ban
February 11, 2009
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Robert Gates ordered a review Tuesday of a Pentagon policy banning media from taking pictures of flag-draped coffins of U.S. military dead, signaling he was open to overturning the policy to better honor fallen soldiers.

At least two Democratic senators have called on President Barack Obama to let news photographers attend ceremonies at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware and other military facilities when military remains are returned to the United States. Obama told reporters Monday he was reviewing the ban.

"If the needs of the families can be met, and the privacy concerns can be addressed, the more honor we can accord these fallen heroes, the better," Gates told reporters at a Pentagon news conference Tuesday. "So I'm pretty open to whatever the results of this review may be."

http://www.military.com/news/article/February-2009/gates-orders-review-of-coffin-photo-ban.html?wh=wh

The link includes a poll on the subject, and since it's military.com, it's mostly military personnel or family members voting. Here's the current snapshot:

Should be overturned. The nation should be able to share in the loss of these heroes while respecting the privacy of surviving family members. 29%
Should be upheld. We should continue to avoid a media circus and respect the feelings of the families involved. 71%

Just the fact that it's Democratic senators and the media demanding the change tells me that they're doing it to use the images to erode support for us and our mission, rather than through any desire to honor our dead.

Lars1701a
02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
The link includes a poll on the subject, and since it's military.com, it's mostly military personnel or family members voting. Here's the current snapshot:

Should be overturned. The nation should be able to share in the loss of these heroes while respecting the privacy of surviving family members. 29%
Should be upheld. We should continue to avoid a media circus and respect the feelings of the families involved. 71%

Just the fact that it's Democratic senators and the media demanding the change tells me that they're doing it to use the images to erode support for us and our mission, rather than through any desire to honor our dead.

That was the first thought I had when I saw this story.

Apocalypse
02-17-2009, 12:53 AM
And now the usual liberal loonies jump in.

Others have taken the opposite stance. Cindy Sheehan, a leading anti-war activist after her son Casey died in Iraq in 2004, said the media should be there to show the world the sacrifices that their family members have made.

If that doesn't scream that what she has done the last 4 years was never about her son, but about media whoring her self on her lost sons grave, I don't know what would be then.

Odysseus
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
And now the usual liberal loonies jump in.

Others have taken the opposite stance. Cindy Sheehan, a leading anti-war activist after her son Casey died in Iraq in 2004, said the media should be there to show the world the sacrifices that their family members have made.

If that doesn't scream that what she has done the last 4 years was never about her son, but about media whoring her self on her lost sons grave, I don't know what would be then.
If Sheehan wanted to show the world the sacrifice that her son made, she should have had a headstone put on the grave.

The families already know the sacrifices that they've made. They don't need to media to exploit their personal pain for cheap sensationalism or to satisfy the agendas of those who would denigrate those sacrifices for political gain, but any family member who does want the media present can always invite them to the funeral. Of course, seeing only one flag-draped coffin might not meet the needs of the media, but they could always follow the trend in journalism and Photoshop in multiple coffins to tell the story.

linda22003
02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
If Sheehan wanted to show the world the sacrifice that her son made, she should have had a headstone put on the grave.

Like this one?

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/other/caseysheehanheadstone.jpg

PoliCon
02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
keep the ban. All they want is propaganda for their positions not a chance to honour those that have sacrificed all for our freedoms and way of life.

Odysseus
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Like this one?

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/other/caseysheehanheadstone.jpg

Yes, the one that she couldn't be bothered with for two years after his death, while she received speaking fees to the tune of $10,000 per and treated herself to a new convertable. (http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/sheehangrave.asp) The one that Sheehan may have put up (there is a question as to whether Casey's dad did it), but which she is still claiming that the government didn't pay for, and for which she is blaming the mortuary and the military for the delay, all of which is false.

First, she blamed the mortuary and the Casualty Assistance Officer:

We had a Casualty Officer who abandoned us when our mortuary refused to pay the cemetery and told us that the "government sent the money to the mortuary, so now it is your problem. You may have to sue the mortuary."
But the mortuary refuted that:

Steve Nadeau, the mortuary's owner, said that not only did he properly pay the cemetery, but that he subsidized the process with his own money.

Nadeau expressed hurt and disbelief at Sheehan's comments. He said that the amount of money the military gave the mortuary for Casey's funeral service and cemetery arrangements didn't even come close to covering the costs.

"Several kind citizens made donations," said Nadeau. "I absorbed the rest."

This was not the only way in which he went above and beyond his responsibilities following Casey's death, said Nadeau. He also provided a stretch limousine and a driver at his expense, he said, and invited the family to go to the airport with him so that he could accompany them. None of this was required, said Nadeau.

"Having known the Sheehan family for many years through St. Mary's Catholic Church where Ms. Sheehan had previously been the youth director, it was my desire to provide care and dignity to Casey and the family. I did this in every respect."

Nadeau also refuted Sheehan's statement that the mortuary finally paid the cemetery only after the family threatened to bring the story to the media.

"This never happened," said Nadeau. "I would stop by the family home as I do most families' homes and check with them on necessary needs, etc."

Nadeau said the military provided his mortuary $5,736 in funding to pay for the funeral service and cemetery arrangements. The funding came in May 2004, said Nadeau, and he paid the cemetery as soon as the costs had been totaled.
In other words, she lied about the mortuary. I also believe that she lied about the CAO, for the simple reason that any CAO who behaved in such a cavalier and insensitive manner would have been relieved on the spot, and Sheehan isn't exactly the type to not raise a ruckus. Finally, The government does pay for a headstone. From the VA site:

"The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a government headstone or marker for the grave of any deceased eligible veteran in any cemetery around the world. For all deaths occurring before September 11, 2001, the VA may provide a headstone or marker only for graves that are not marked with a private headstone.

Flat markers in granite, marble, and bronze and upright headstones in granite and marble are available. The style chosen must be consistent with existing monuments at the place of burial. Niche markers are also available to mark columbaria used for inurnment of cremated remains."

So, yes, I'm referring to the headstone that she waited two years to put up while using her son's death as a springboard to celebrity, while slandering the people who would have helped her had she not been too preoccupied to simply say "yes."

linda22003
02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
That's pretty fancy for government issue. My mother has the standard, white stone at Arlington National Cemetery, and that's good enough for anyone. :)

Odysseus
02-17-2009, 01:05 PM
That's pretty fancy for government issue. My mother has the standard, white stone at Arlington National Cemetery, and that's good enough for anyone. :)

As stated above, the government will pay for "flat markers in granite, marble, and bronze and upright headstones in granite and marble..."