PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty today

gator
06-25-2008, 06:18 AM
I have to leave in a half hour for jury duty.

The last time I had jury duty I wound up being the Jury Foreman on a murder trial that lasted two days and then it took another two days to reach a verdict.

Have you ever had jury duty?

Do you consider it to be a pain in the butt or something interesting?

Sonnabend
06-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Never been called. I'd consider it a civic duty and be happy to.

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 07:51 AM

The last time I had jury duty I wound up being the Jury Foreman on a murder trial that lasted two days and then it took another two days to reach a verdict.

Yeah, twice. Once--several years ago--was for a dude who molested a child...didn't get picked but the guy looked creepy and I am kinda glad I didn't get picked. Last time was a year ago....got picked and it was for a drug charge where this skinny old black guy was accused of intent to sell. The defense claimed he was "set up" by the Daytona Beach undercover unit...but honestly it was pretty clear cut to us in the jury. We deliberated for about 30 minutes (really, we didn't need that long) and I ended up being the jury spokesperson because everyone else was reluctant to do so. Wimps. But it was a cool process. (But bring a book if you waiting to be called or sent home!) Lasted for 2 days...in fact, on day two we were done shortly after lunch.

Eagle
06-25-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't mind it. I've been getting called for duty about every three years for the last thirty years. Most of the time it's interesting but sometimes it is just a long damn day.

Lanie
06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I consider it a pain in the neck. Keeps me from work. I keep thinking up ideas on how to get out of it in the future.

linda22003
06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I consider it a pain in the neck. Keeps me from work. I keep thinking up ideas on how to get out of it in the future.

A shining example of good citizenship for us all. :)

megimoo
06-25-2008, 09:04 AM
A shining example of good citizenship for us all. :)Also a saving grace for the rest of the jury !Can you imagine listening to Bridget arguing compassion for Ted Bundy for several days ,OMG !

noonwitch
06-25-2008, 09:09 AM
I was on a jury once in Detroit, in Recorder's Court, before it was merged with the county criminal court system. It was a home invasion/attempted criminal sexual conduct case. We ended in a hung jury, split not by race, but by age (I was the only white person on the jury, after the alternates were dismissed prior to deliberations). Most of the jurors were retirees, three of us were civil servants (who always get leave from work for jury duty).

Why we younger jurors voted to aquit:

1. The cop investigating was caught in a couple of big lies, about how she did her investigation.
2. The lineup process was flawed.
3. The home was dark, the individual was wearing a scarf over his face, and the only person who put the defendant at the scene was originally charged as a codefendant. A matter of fact, the description given by the witnesses at the scene matched this guy much more closely than the defendant, who was a unique-looking man, even if he had had a scarf over the bottom part of his face.
4. There were lots of defense witnesses who were obviously lying to try to give the defendant an alibi-grandma, mom, friends, etc. But the defendant himself was a good witness in his own defense, as was his girlfriend. She said "he was in bed with me when I went to sleep and was there when I woke up". When asked if he could have gotten up and come back to bed while she was sleeping, she said "possibly, but I was 8 months pregnant at the time and I would have likely woken up".

The jurors who voted to convict were upset. They went to the prosecutor and told him that when the case got tried again, he should try to find a cab driver that took the defendant to the neighborhood, or a record from a cab company of that fare. That would have convinced me.

I never want to serve on a jury again, at least not until I retire. That one took 4 days away from work.

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Also a saving grace for the rest of the jury !Can you imagine listening to Bridget arguing compassion for Ted Bundy for several days ,OMG !

"Yes, Bundy was a victim of a loveless, cold childhood...and despite his wealthy upbringing and obvious high-intellect, the lack of attention by his parents as a young boy led him down the path to become one of the most notorious serial killers of all time. It is so easy to understand why he became this way....we just have to understand him! He had no choice but to slaughter innocent young women!"

BSR
06-25-2008, 11:19 AM

Wasnt the last time you were on jury duty during the Salem Witch Trials? :confused:

:D

linda22003
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Wasnt the last time you were on jury duty during the Salem Witch Trials? :confused:

:D

Oh, come now. You can't really picture him living in Massachusetts, can you?

Gingersnap
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh, come now. You can't really picture him living in Massachusetts, can you?

Maybe in the Southern part of the state. :p

dixierat
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Called once and rejected when the defendant, acting as his own attorney, asked if anyone had relatives in law enforcement. Got home before noon. :)

:cool:

megimoo
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe in the Southern part of the state. :p Hyannisport is nice !

Teetop
06-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I have been called on, twice. Once I was in Germany, last year, I was called and lo and behold, the defendant didn't show up. :rolleyes:

I just hope the case you're on doesn't include a Jooooooo as a defendant.

Aklover
06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I'd attempt to get out of it as much as I can. If I were ever in the hotseat I would definitely consider waving my right to a jury trial, to0o many dumbass results come from relying on a jury of your "peers".

Aklover
06-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Called once and rejected when the defendant, acting as his own attorney, asked if anyone had relatives in law enforcement. Got home before noon. :)

Probably a smart move by the defendent.

Shakespeare
06-25-2008, 02:28 PM
~ Robert Frost.
All lawyers are prostitutes, and all judges were very good lawyers.

dixierat
06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Probably a smart move by the defendent.

Probably. I have a strong dislike for drunk drivers.

gator
06-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Jury duty sucked today.

I spoke the truth at jury selection so needless to say I was not picked.

I have never seen so many losers and bottom feeding lawyers in one place in my life.

Molon Labe
06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
When your retired that 19 dollars a day is fine. When your still working and you lose your 160 it sucks.

linda22003
06-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I've been on a list, but never close to being selected. Our county has a convoluted system where they send you a group number (i.e., group 5) and tell you what dates to call. You call the phone number they give you, and a recording says, "Today's groups are 1,3,6, and 8". So group 5 doesn't go. My group has never been called.
I wonder if I'd be excluded anyway, for having once been a law librarian. I still know how to Shepardize a case. :)

gator
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
When your retired that 19 dollars a day is fine. When your still working and you lose your 160 it sucks.

I actually lost $1,000 today because of my part time consulting job. I passed up a full day of billing.

SarasotaRepub
06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Jury duty sucked today.

I spoke the truth at jury selection so needless to say I was not picked.

I have never seen so many losers and bottom feeding lawyers in one place in my life.

How was the carpet at the CourtHouse? See anything you liked??? ;):D

MstrBlue
06-25-2008, 08:19 PM
I have been involved in courtroom proceedings twice...

Once while in the USAF, I was called to be Bailiff for a rape trial.
Interesting detail.
The accused was acquitted. Good call by the panel/jury.

The only other time I was called was a few years ago.
I ended up being nominated by the group to act as foreman.
OK, so I would not shut up while we were talking the case over, so they picked me. :D

Bubba Dawg
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I got called twice. I didn't get picked for a drunk driving case but was an alternate for a day.

The other was a civil case. I was the jury foreman. It was cool. It was also interesting.

I haven't been on a criminal trial.

Jumpy
06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I was summoned one time.. sat around all day.. got a free lunch out of it, and then we were all sent home. They didnt need us.

Even though the timing was bad, I wanted to be a part of the process.