PDA

View Full Version : House Approves Final $787B Stimulus Bill

bijou
02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/dgndjn.jpg

WASHINGTON - The House on Friday passed the final version of a $787 billion economic stimulus plan aimed at jolting the slumping U.S. economy, setting up a vote in the Senate expected later in the day.

The measure was passed 246-183, with no Republican "yes" votes and one member voting present.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid predicted that Congress will finish its work possibly by day's end, giving President Obama a big victory.

link (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/13/congress-readies-final-vote-b-stimulus/)

Defiant1
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
WASHINGTON - The House on Friday passed the final version of a $787 billion economic stimulus plan aimed at jolting the slumping U.S. economy, setting up a vote in the Senate expected later in the day.

The measure was passed 246-183, with no Republican "yes" votes and one member voting present.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid predicted that Congress will finish its work possibly by day's end, giving President Obama a big victory.

link (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/02/13/congress-readies-final-vote-b-stimulus/)

32 votes and it wouldn't have passed. Not a mandate in my book.

Celtic Rose
02-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I am really glad that the Republicans stood firm and didn't vote yes.

SaintLouieWoman
02-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I am really glad that the Republicans stood firm and didn't vote yes.
Wish the Senate Republicans would learn a lesson from their house counterparts.

SecretOperative
02-13-2009, 04:05 PM
All we need is 1-2 Senators to wise up and vote no for this ridiculious bill. It would be great if
everyone flooded the phone and fax lines to put more pressure them, especially the three RINO's. I'm not giving up yet.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?State=TN

Goldwater
02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Wish the Senate Republicans would learn a lesson from their house counterparts.

The three "moderates" have been in this position for a while now, but because the GOP was in power their votes didn't matter. While I don't like their positions I at least admire how they're consistent, if Bush was presenting this package I think most of the GOP senators would have backed it, small government while you're out of power and all that.

Maybe this time they mean it?

lacarnut
02-13-2009, 08:04 PM
The three "moderates" have been in this position for a while now, but because the GOP was in power their votes didn't matter. While I don't like their positions I at least admire how they're consistent, if Bush was presenting this package I think most of the GOP senators would have backed it, small government while you're out of power and all that.

Maybe this time they mean it?

The three are RINO's not moderates; fact. For 8 years Bush and the Repubs spent like drunken sailors. FYI, no one has read or knows what is in the bill. So, someone that votes blind in the dark is not an admiral quality in my opinion. You may be right on your assertion that the majority of Repub would have voted for this bill. However, the Democrats lied when they said they would give everyone a chance to read it and would wait 48 hours. The Repubs would have at least done that. Do you see the difference? Public opinion could have possibly swayed these three senators if this had not been a rushed up bill. BTW, when the government hits you in the pocketbook along with the other social programs in this bill, you can look back and admire those 3 senators that voted for this abortion. A few more trillion dollars in debt is no big deal either. :eek:

cat714
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I heard seven democrats didn't vote for it and the limp dick that voted present was a dem from Illinois named Dan Lipinski. Lipinski said he didn't like the bill, so WTF didn't he just vote no???

Goldwater
02-13-2009, 08:50 PM
The three are RINO's not moderates; fact. For 8 years Bush and the Repubs spent like drunken sailors. FYI, no one has read or knows what is in the bill. So, someone that votes blind in the dark is not an admiral quality in my opinion. You may be right on your assertion that the majority of Repub would have voted for this bill. However, the Democrats lied when they said they would give everyone a chance to read it and would wait 48 hours. The Repubs would have at least done that. Do you see the difference? Public opinion could have possibly swayed these three senators if this had not been a rushed up bill. BTW, when the government hits you in the pocketbook along with the other social programs in this bill, you can look back and admire those 3 senators that voted for this abortion. A few more trillion dollars in debt is no big deal either. :eek:

What makes them different is that they voted how they'd vote if Bush was president, otherwise the stimulus is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen.

By the way, most senators and congress voted for the patriot act without reading it, citing not enough time.

lacarnut
02-13-2009, 09:28 PM
What makes them different is that they voted how they'd vote if Bush was president, otherwise the stimulus is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen.

By the way, most senators and congress voted for the patriot act without reading it, citing not enough time.

You must be a mind reader if you know how they would vote if Bush was President so that fairy tale of yours is irrelevant. I really don't give a crap what the motives of the 3 RINO's are. BTW, members of Congress had more than 48 hours to read the Patriot Act. If they did not read it, that is their fault. I guess you are too stupid to understand the difference between giving members the opportunity to read the bill and not giving them the opportunity to read it. Another tid bit is that the Patriot Act did not cost billions of $$$$$ nor did it contain 1,100 pages; the stimulus bill is the most costly in the history of mankind. Like I said, you can admire Snow, Collins and Specter to the hilt while this socalistic bill will bust your balls.

Goldwater
02-13-2009, 10:02 PM
You must be a mind reader if you know how they would vote if Bush was President so that fairy tale of yours is irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant? Previous stimulus bills have been GOP backed with Bush in charge.

lawolverine
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
while i am disappointed in our congress, and the president i have to wonder when will what they are doing be too much? when will we stop bitching and start acting? we have to stand up and fight right now before its too late. we may very well be too late to stop this porkulus bill, but we can make them change it. we can make them throw it out or we can throw them out. this is a right given to the people from our fore fathers who fought for these freedoms that obama, pelosi, reid, and frank are sneaking away from us. i say sneaking because no one knows what all is in this bill. the things i do know that are in this bill have nothing to do with stimulating the economy. the few little tax credits they were throwing at starving americans have been reduced to half or none. the people of America have made it clear that we do not want this bill to be passed, and yet our cries fall on deaf ears. they want full control and i for one will not stand by and let them take it. i say everyone who is against this take over goes to Washington and stands on the front lawn and demand this bill be revoked or we will all move into the white house. its our house, we own it! lets take it back! and for all you NRA people if this bill gets passed you can not have guns in home with children, you can not by ammo. 1 step closer to breaking the American people down. didn't bill Clinton get impeached for lying about having sex with Monica lewinsky? well, obama lied about everything. he lied about bipartisanship, transparency, about the pork in this bill, about the earmarks in this bill, and about giving a damn what the American people want. lets impeach him for his lies. lets impeach pelosi,l frank, and reid for their lies. we can not just call our congress anymore, we have to stand and take action as a free people. if you need encouragement read our declaration of independence. that is encouragement enough for any red blooded hard working American. think of your children and grandchildren and what kind of world you want them to grow up in. STAND UP AND FIGHT! TAKE ACTION!
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!!!!!!!!!!!!

lacarnut
02-14-2009, 12:38 AM
How is it irrelevant? Previous stimulus bills have been GOP backed with Bush in charge.

Like I said, you do not know how any Senator would have voted had Bush proposed the same bill unless you are a mind reader. Plus, if you think that these 3 Senators are moderates, you damn well are not a conservative. Comparing the 1,100 pages of this porkus bill to the Patriot bill is a feeble attempt on your part. Also, the Repub Senators and their staff had only a few hours, not the customary 48, to read the bill. Staff regurgitates the major points of a bill to their boss which they were not able to do in this case!!!!!!!!

AHeneen
02-14-2009, 02:47 AM
Now Pelosi can head over to Italy...