PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Whoosh!

Gingersnap
06-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Today is Bike To Work Day out here and I was surrounded by cyclist wannabes on the way in this morning. Many seem to have a shaky concept of "share the road". I expect that there will be several reports of mashed cyclists by this afternoon.

We are bike-crazy out here and this is where the Olympic teams and other elite cyclists train. Every summer we have many bike marathons.

TOTD: Have you ever participated in a bike marathon for charity? Ever do any long distance cycling? Have you biked to school/work? If you never have, why not? Have cyclists ever annoyed you? Tried to kill you? Tried to kill themselves using your car? :D

linda22003
06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
I've cycled on various trips, but not more than about ten miles at a time. A friend of mine used to do the RAGBRAI trip across Iowa, and tried to convince my husband and me to join it one year.

I said, "I understand the 'biking across' part, but the next word you want is 'France', not 'Iowa'." :p

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Today is Bike To Work Day out here and I was surrounded by cyclist wannabes on the way in this morning. Many seem to have a shaky concept of "share the road". I expect that there will be several reports of mashed cyclists by this afternoon.

We are bike-crazy out here and this is where the Olympic teams and other elite cyclists train. Every summer we have many bike marathons.

TOTD: Have you ever participated in a bike marathon for charity? Ever do any long distance cycling? Have you biked to school/work? If you never have, why not? Have cyclists ever annoyed you? Tried to kill you? Tried to kill themselves using your car? :D

Cloudy already and looking like rain. Yay! The yard is looking thick and full and Hulk-green right now. I mowed it less than a week ago and it already needs it again.

TOTD: No, never. I wouldn't bike a distance to and from work around here (central Florida) mostly because a lot of drivers should never have licenses. Too many careless, crazy people behind the wheel. I used to have a cheap mountain bike years ago and loved riding it, though.

LogansPapa
06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Catalina Eddie is out again - much compression - surf’s flat. Water is warming up though and the fish are moving out of deep water to the shallows.

TOTD: Prior to losing my hand when I was in my mid-teens, I was an avid bike enthusiast and rode a hundred miles at a clip. Haven’t been on a serious performance bicycle since. These days groups of fifty or so cyclists clog PCH and ride 4-wide, outside the line and into the slow lane. I take great glee in coming right up on them in my truck - with its compressor and diesel rig air horn and giving them a sustained blast to get them back in their own damn lane. Many middle fingers ensue thereafter.

movie buff
06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
TOTD: While I unfortunately haven't used it much lately, in college I biked to classes all the time.

megimoo
06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Catalina Eddie is out again - much compression - surf’s flat. Water is warming up though and the fish are moving out of deep water to the shallows.

TOTD: Prior to losing my hand when I was in my mid-teens, I was an avid bike enthusiast and rode a hundred miles at a clip. Haven’t been on a serious performance bicycle since. These days groups of fifty or so cyclists clog PCH and ride 4-wide, outside the line and into the slow lane. I take great glee in coming right up on them in my truck - with its compressor and diesel rig air horn and giving them a sustained blast to get them back in their own damn lane. Many middle fingers ensue thereafter.It's a wonder someone hasn't wrung your neck pulling a stunt like that .You should take one of those portable boat horns to a local hospital cardiac unit and see how many suprise massive coronaries you are able to induce !

Gingersnap
06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
TOTD: Prior to losing my hand when I was in my mid-teens......

Dude! You lost a hand? I'm sure there's a story there. :eek:

dixierat
06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I biked to work 20 years ago or so. 3 Miles or so I could do in less time than it took me to drive. Plus it was great for my legs. :)

:cool:

LogansPapa
06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Dude! You lost a hand? I'm sure there's a story there. :eek:

Yeah - no big deal. Car wreck when I was a kid.

LogansPapa
06-25-2008, 11:57 AM
You should take one of those portable boat horns to a local hospital cardiac unit and see how many suprise massive coronaries you are able to induce !

I would, but once they saw Shannon do it - it's not fun anymore.

biccat
06-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I used to bike all the time, then I sort of fell out of it after college. Eventually I plan to get back into it, maybe once we have a house and a place to actually store a bicycle.

lurkalot
06-26-2008, 12:28 AM
bicycle? are you friggen nutz? with my executive chair ass a bicycle is nothing more than a two wheeled suppository :eek: