PDA

View Full Version : Spanish at Fast Food Restaurants

Junebug68
06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in hispanics working at places like McDonalds and speaking nothing but spanish to each other? Used to be all teens working there, at least in my area. I'm not trying to be racist, but it justs seems a little rude to me. You never know, they could be telling each other to spit in my burger :p

linda22003
06-25-2008, 10:14 AM
A good way to avoid that problem is to avoid fast food restaurants. Saliva isn't the worst ingredient used at McDonald's.

Junebug68
06-25-2008, 10:19 AM
A good way to avoid that problem is to avoid fast food restaurants. Saliva isn't the worst ingredient used at McDonald's.

Yeah the food isn't exactly healthy, but good for a treat sometimes.

Gingersnap
06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
It's been that way in Denver for about 5 years. It's gotten so bad that a lot of the McDonald's places have gone to a touch screen system. You can't get an extra packet of mustard but you don't have to pantomime your order, either.

I'm not a frequent flyer at fast food places but I was bemused to confront this system about 6 months ago after I'd heard of it.

linda22003
06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
If you honestly are concerned about what people are saying in a language you don't know, learn a phrase or two in that language. If you say pleasantly ( in Spanish) something like "nice day, isn't it?" people will assume you know the language.

Junebug68
06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
It's been that way in Denver for about 5 years. It's gotten so bad that a lot of the McDonald's places have gone to a touch screen system. You can't an extra packet of mustard but you don't have to pantomime your order, either.

I'm not a frequent flyer at fast food places but I was bemused to confront this system about 6 months ago after I'd heard of it.

Yeah they have touch screens here too. I got a soda there the other day and the lady tried to give me the wrong size and I had to tell her about 5 times that it was wrong because she didn't understand english that well. Very frustrating.

Junebug68
06-25-2008, 10:37 AM
If you honestly are concerned about what people are saying in a language you don't know, learn a phrase or two in that language. If you say pleasantly ( in Spanish) something like "nice day, isn't it?" people will assume you know the language.

I know some Spanish (mostly medical stuff) but I don't see why I should have to speak spanish just to order some fries.

It's like my ATM - the first thing I have to do is choose English or spanish. English should be the default!

megimoo
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM
If you honestly are concerned about what people are saying in a language you don't know, learn a phrase or two in that language. If you say pleasantly ( in Spanish) something like "nice day, isn't it?" people will assume you know the language.To break the ice next time smile and say 'Tu eres más feo que el culo de un mono'.i'm sure you will be suprised at how friendly they will be !

Trans:You are uglier than the butt of a monkey

Gingersnap
06-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Out here the illegal aliens speak Spanish but it isn't classroom Spanish. My classroom Spanish-speaking friends are just as helpless as anyone else. Many of the people working in landscaping, fast food, and house cleaning come from deeply rural provinces and they haven't had much formal education. They speak a patois that is fairly difficult to penetrate apparently.

This is one of the reasons our bilingual education programs are tanking out here. The schools hired well educated Mexican teachers but the kids can't understand them without a huge amount of work.

noonwitch
06-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Out here the illegal aliens speak Spanish but it isn't classroom Spanish. My classroom Spanish-speaking friends are just as helpless as anyone else. Many of the people working in landscaping, fast food, and house cleaning come from deeply rural provinces and they haven't had much formal education. They speak a patois that is fairly difficult to penetrate apparently.

This is one of the reasons our bilingual education programs are tanking out here. The schools hired well educated Mexican teachers but the kids can't understand them without a huge amount of work.

The Mexican population in southwest Detroit speaks mostly spanish, and I, who speak very little spanish, can usually get by because most of them know some english. It's interesting, the mexican neighborhood is one of the safer neighborhoods in Detroit, at least during daylight hours.

FuroraCeltica
06-25-2008, 01:20 PM

I avoid fast food like the plague

linda22003
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a craving for it about twice a year, but I hate the way I feel afterwards.

LogansPapa
06-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Went to a local ‘Carl’s Jr’ Sunday evening and nearly had a heart attack.

The presumably Latino gentlemen behind the counter was wearing a tie and spoke better Egrish than me. The store was spotless and the employees didn’t sound like a yammering clutch of Canadian geese. The food was perfect - for what it is - and I was so stunned I took the time to fill out a customer comment card.

Carl Karcher would be proud of this facility.:)

Junebug68
06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Is it wrong that this annoys me so much? Maybe I'm just grouchy because I have to work the overnight tonight. :)

linda22003
06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Is it wrong that this annoys me so much? Maybe I'm just grouchy because I have to work the overnight tonight. :)

At least it annoys you in a very brief transaction. I have a swat team of Latina maids in my house every Friday, and when I'm home they just say a few words to me then chatter away in Spanish to each other the entire time they're here. I figure they're gossiping or filling each other in on the latest telenovela.

gator
06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah they have touch screens here too. I got a soda there the other day and the lady tried to give me the wrong size and I had to tell her about 5 times that it was wrong because she didn't understand english that well. Very frustrating.

Why go to a place that hires foreign speaking help? I think I would just walk out and go some place else.

Molon Labe
06-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Worked late nights for 3 years...Loved it, but it's way to easy to gain weight.

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Well! At least, thank God, they weren't speaking French! :eek: