PDA

View Full Version : Signing up for the Kyoto Protocol and UN carbon cut to cost Australia $870m .

megimoo
02-15-2009, 12:24 AM
UN carbon cut to cost Australia $870m

Australia faces the prospect of paying an extra $870 million for greenhouse gas emissions after Kevin Rudd's ratification of the Kyoto Protocol and a new UN target for carbon pollution. After a year-long review by the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change committee, Australia has been given a tougher target to cut its greenhouse gas emissions.
snip
European cement producers and electricity generators have unloaded carbon credits they do not need because economic growth has crashed.

The Rudd Government's updated forecasts estimate Australian industry will have to pay $23.5billion for carbon emission permits in the first two years of the ETS.

Point Carbon last week estimated the recession sparked by the financial crisis would cut global greenhouse gas emissions by 500 million tonnes.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25047617-11949,00.html

tacitus
02-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I'll bet the magic negro is just waiting to get the chance to sign on, then he can really break the back of the American people.

Lars1701a
02-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I'll bet the magic negro is just waiting to get the chance to sign on, then he can really break the back of the American people.

I really doubt he would try that, rather he would come up with something new.

AHeneen
02-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Australia is only home to 20 million and with an appropriately sized industry. The US has 300 million and lots more industry.