PDA

View Full Version : Sauces For Vegetables?

Gingersnap
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM
What are some good sauces for steamed or sautéed veggies? :)

PoliCon
02-17-2009, 01:18 PM
What are some good sauces for steamed or sautéed veggies? :)

a basic hollandaise is always a good choice. :)

bijou
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Depends on the vegetables, which ones had you in mind?

megimoo
02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
What are some good sauces for steamed or sautéed veggies? :) Come on.Surely someone like you knows sauces,you are just digging up posts for the board !

Hollandaise sauce served over white asparagus and potatoes.

Add a little chopped Dill Weed and serve it over poached salmon

One preparation method

A wire whisk and a thin-bottomed bowl work fine. The egg yolks must be beaten thoroughly first, then the lemon juice beaten into them. Then the butter (preferably clarified butter; clarified, meaning it has been melted and the milk solids removed) is added very slowly, while the mixture is being continually beaten and held over a pot of simmering water. (Room temperature is too low; most stovetop burners and even double boilers are too hot, and will overcook the egg causing it to scramble, though skilled sauciers are able to prepare their mixtures over an open burner.) The mixing bowl should be over, but not in contact with, the simmering water. Eventually it will thicken palpably, enough to resist the wrist. The butter can then be added more quickly, the sauce is seasoned, and it can be "held" in this state by being kept warm for some time. A normal ratio of ingredients is 1 egg yolk:1 teaspoon lemon juice:4-6 Tbs. butter.[3][4][5]

The same method -- with no heat, replacing the butter with oil, and adding some ground mustard -- is used to make mayonnaise.

Simple Hollandaise Sauce

Ingredients
8 oz (225g) of butter
3 large egg yolks
2 tbsp of hot water
just over 1 tbsp of lemon juice
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
Method
Melt the butter slowly in a medium-sized saucepan. Once the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat and leave to one side.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
Whilst continuing to whisk, add the lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper to the beaten egg yolks.
Next, very slowly to begin with, whisk in the melted butter and the 2 tbsp of water. Continue to whisk constantly.
Return the mixture to the saucepan, heat over a very low heat, still whisking all the time until the sauce thickens.
Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 30 minutes before serving.
Hollandaise Sauce

Ingredients
8 oz (225g) of butter cut into small chunks
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp of lemon juice
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
Method
Whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper together with a wire whisk in a medium-sized saucepan.
Add the pieces of butter and turn the stove to a medium heat.
As the butter melts into the egg yolk mixture, whisk continuously.
Once the butter has melted, continue to whisk the mixture until all the ingredients have blended together and the sauce begins to thicken.
Check the seasoning and then serve immediately.

Traditional Hollandaise Sauce

Ingredients
1 1/3 cup of butter
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp of cold water
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1 tsp of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
Method
Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over a low heat.
Once the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
Taking a spoon, skim off the foam from the surface of the melted butter and discard.
Transfer the rest of the butter to a warmed pouring jug and set aside.
Pour 2 inches of water into a saucepan and heat so that the water is gently simmering but not boiling.
In a glass bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the water until frothy.
Place the bowl over the pan of simmering water and continue to whisk the egg yolks for several minutes until they have thickened.
Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk the eggs for a further minute, in order for the eggs to cool down.
Place the bowl with the eggs back into the saucepan but remove the saucepan from the heat.
Very slowly, pour the melted butter into the egg yolk mixture, making sure that you continuously whisk the eggs whilst doing so.

Whisk in the remaining ingredients until they have thoroughly blended together and the sauce is as thick as you require.

Check the seasoning and then serve immediately or keep warm over a bowl of hot water for up to 30 minutes. Or Keep it warn in a small wide necked thermos bottle first filled with boiling hot water then drained. .

Gingersnap
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Come on.Surely someone like you knows sauces,you are just digging up posts for the board !.

Busted! I hate to see a forum slow down for too long. :p

Actually, I am looking for a nice sauce to use tonight. I was thinking of an almondine sauce.

megimoo
02-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Busted! I hate to see a forum slow down for too long. :p

Actually, I am looking for a nice sauce to use tonight. I was thinking of an almondine sauce.
Almondine sauce is used for trout or other white fish .It could serve with certain vegstables I suppose !

Gingersnap
02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Almondine sauce is used for trout or other white fish .It could serve with certain vegstables I suppose !

I like it on fish but I happen to have a lot of sliced almonds at the moment. :D