PDA

View Full Version : Adventurous Eating

Gingersnap
02-17-2009, 05:08 PM
This sounds like a very good idea in these times of Obama Destroying America .
snip

Join,set up or lobby for a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program in your bailywich !

"Support your local farmer or become your own local farmer and deliver your products to your negihbors in an local co-op ."
snip
Both happened to me the year I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, in which farmers provide a weekly box of whatever's been harvested from their fields. The mysterious bundles packed along with my expected tomatoes and peaches included the likes of sorrel, whose piercingly sour, lemony taste immediately become a bracing addiction. A new world of tender young beets also opened up, with golden and candy-striped varieties coloring my plate, and topped by greens so fresh they could be cooked as a vegetable in their own right. The CSA taught me to appreciate fava beans (beyond "The Silence of the Lambs") and to admire the mild flavor of garlic scapes, the curly shoots that grow from hardneck garlic. (Visit a farmers market this week to nab the last of the current crop, and add them to any stir-fry.)

But it doesn't require a CSA to throw yourself into the new ingredients fray. It's as elemental as picking up a strange item at a well-stocked supermarket or farmers market and asking, "What do I do with this?" Most growers have answers.

"We feel like it's part of our job, not just to grow (produce) but also to re-educate folks about vegetables that are new to them, and to help people have fun and experiment in the kitchen," said Kia Kozun of Sequim-based Nash's Organic Produce, which hands out recipe cards along with vegetables as common as cauliflower, and provides weekly tips for using, storing and cooking whatever is new.

Reading through cookbooks -- and gardening -- are other paths to inspiration. I purchased a perennial shiso plant from the Willie Greens market stand after seeing the leafy herb in one too many Donna Hay cookbooks. Lovage, with its deep, leafy, celerylike taste, went into my planting box after Herbfarm veteran Jerry Traunfeld wrote enticing recipes calling its flavor irreplaceable. Planting extra rows of peas yielded tender young vines for tasty sautés. (Many Hmong farmers bring pea vines to the farmers markets throughout July, noted Judy Bennett of Rockridge Farms.)
snip
Welcome to hard times thanks to the progressives and never forget who put us in this perdicament !

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/3...rmfresh09.html

This Moo's post. It got attached to my sauce thread but it deserves it's own thread.

megimoo
02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
This Moo's post. It got attached to my sauce thread but it deserves it's own thread.
They had co-ops during WW2 when everything was rationed and people had to make do .In the city's where people didn't have much free land the cities opened up parks and strips of land between the city parkways to gardens with everyone claiming a parcel and fencing off their gardens.

Every Sunday would find people all working in their victory gardens and socializing with their neighbors.
Some people built small barns and kept pigs ,chickens and spent their free days building up their gardens.Lots of Italians made their own wine's and grappa and shared it with their friends.After awhile everyone made their own beer,wine and whiskey and passed it around.The federal government ignored the booze as long as you didn't go into big time bootlegger.

It's amazing how well you can live if you put your mind and back to it .We grew more than we could eat even after canning a bunch of it so we gave most of it away rather than seeing it rot.I never saw a hungry family and if one was in need it usually because their father was in the Pacific Or Europe fighting the Japs or the Germans.In those cases people would make damn sure the family had enough to eat and checkup on them from time to time in case they had any needs .

It was hard to tell the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats. Both party's were patriotic and spoke for America not against America like the Progressive/Democrats do today .We were proud to be Americans and sang our countries praises whenever we had the chance.

Most every family had a small flag in their front window with a star on it to indicate the number of service members overseas or a gold star if a son or daughter was killed in action.Most every family had a big garden and lived from it.Meat was hard to come by and most meals were vegetarian or cheese based.Butter was non existant and margarine was very new.

Lots of fish on Fridays for the 'snappers and baked beans and franks on Saturdays .Bread was all home made And milk was whole with a head of cream in every bottle .Life was good with everyone in the same boat and no liberals in sight.Everyone was an American patriot and if anyone spoke against America in public they would have their asses kicked damn quick !

America was united and whole !!

patriot45
02-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Lucky here in Plant City, there are hundred of farms growing about everything! We get alot of stuff from the growers down at the Elks club. They are always bring in a bushell of this and that to share around.

Strawberry season is upon us!

AHeneen
02-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Strawberry season is upon us!

Oh, yes! Flats of strawberries for sale alongside the road, fresh strawberries in the stores (no mushy ones), & of course, the Strawberry Festival starts the 26th...

Gingersnap
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Moo reminded me about that show that was on a few years ago where a family would spend months actually in the conditions of verious time periods. They had people living like Puritans or frontier settlers or whatever.

One of the most interesting shows was the one about the Brit family living in WWII conditions. They had a big garden and they learned to make do with rationing. One thing they would not do was to raise the rabbits that had been supplied to them. Raising rabbits for meat was common during WWII (and common in other times and places). Rabbits are economical to raise in most circumstances and the meat is very good. My family raised rabbits for the table.

The Brit family would not do it. They'd buy a whole dead chicken once in a great while but they wouldn't eat Thumper. :rolleyes:

patriot45
02-18-2009, 05:04 PM
How about this for the big cities!

Grow up! (http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/02/16/dystopian-farm-by-eric-vergne/)

As the world’s population continues to skyrocket and cities strain under the increased demand for resources, skyscraper farms offer an inspired approach towards creating sustainable vertical density. One of three finalists in this year’s Evolo Skyscraper Competition Eric Vergne’s Dystopian Farm project envisions a future New York City interspersed with elegantly spiraling biomorphic structures that will harness cutting-edge technology to provide the city with its own self-sustaining food source.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/evolodysto-ed01.jpg