PDA

View Full Version : Obama Economy Blamed for increase in Concealed weapon permits in Florida

megimoo
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Economy Blamed for increase in Concealed weapon permits in Florida

TALLAHASSEE People in Florida are fearful of the economic future, and one way they are coping is by buying guns. The state office that issues concealed weapon permits is buried under a backlog of 95,000 applications and doesn't have enough money in its budget to do the job. A legislative budget panel is being asked to approve a midyear budget transfer of nearly $4-million to catch up to the demand for permits.

"People are getting scared," said Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson. "The economy is scaring them. They don't want their houses broken into." Bronson's Cabinet agency includes the Division of Licensing that processes weapons permit applications. Figures released by Bronson's office show that it issued 75,679 permits in 2007 and 86,269 in 2008.

Applications spiked dramatically upward in December and January. During one six-week period, applications were up 42 percent. Overall, from fiscal 2003-04 to 2007-08, the state saw a 91 percent increase in permit applications.

A permit is valid for seven years and costs $120, which includes a $44 charge for applicants to undergo state and federal criminal history checks by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and pay for a set of fingerprints. By law the state must act upon a permit application within 90 days of receipt or the applicant automatically qualifies for a permit.

Bronson, a certified police officer who worked as a reserve sheriff's deputy in Miami-Dade and Brevard counties, said a team of licensing employees is trying to process up to 1,000 applicants a day, but the applications keep coming. "We're a little bit under the gun here," he said.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article976999.ece

noonwitch
02-19-2009, 09:46 AM
I just want to point out that you call it the Obama economy, but the stats cited are for December and January. Obama didn't become president until January was more than half over.

Bongo55
02-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I would respond, that most people saw what was coming. I believe that the One should have a year to finish off the countries economy, then it will be the obama depression.

biccat
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I just want to point out that you call it the Obama economy, but the stats cited are for December and January. Obama didn't become president until January was more than half over.

The economy didn't take a nose dive until October, when it was pretty clear (although a lot of us had hopes otherwise) that Obama was going to become president.

October 1 is when we started the steep decline (http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^DJI#chart2:symbol=^dji;range=1y;indicat or=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0 ;logscale=on;source=undefined)

September 30 was McCain's last hurrah (http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/whos-ahead/polling/index.html)

As Obama's lead grew, the market tanked. Except for a brief spike on Nov. 4 (the last chance for McCain), we've been seeing the effect of an Obama presidency on the Dow.

noonwitch
02-19-2009, 02:56 PM
The economy didn't take a nose dive until October, when it was pretty clear (although a lot of us had hopes otherwise) that Obama was going to become president.

October 1 is when we started the steep decline (http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^DJI#chart2:symbol=^dji;range=1y;indicat or=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0 ;logscale=on;source=undefined)

September 30 was McCain's last hurrah (http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/whos-ahead/polling/index.html)

As Obama's lead grew, the market tanked. Except for a brief spike on Nov. 4 (the last chance for McCain), we've been seeing the effect of an Obama presidency on the Dow.

The first nose dive happened around March of 2001, and then later, after 9-11. Obama inherited an economy that was in the toilet to begin with.

FlaGator
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM

As a Floridian I can tell you that it is not so much the economy that is causing the increase in Gun sales, it is the fear of Obama and congressionally imposed weapons restrictions. In fact one of the biggest selling items at the state guns shows is ammo. People are buying it by the truck load and it is hard to get some types of ammo in the gun stores and sporting goods sections of standard retail stores.

Rebel Yell
02-19-2009, 03:14 PM
The first nose dive happened around March of 2001, and then later, after 9-11. Obama inherited an economy that was in the toilet to begin with.

When did the rise in CC permit applications begin to rise?

biccat
02-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I suppose if you want to ignore the gains from April '03 through the end of '08, then you might have a point.

djones520
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM

It cites fears of the economic future though.

megimoo
02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
As a Floridian I can tell you that it is not so much the economy that is causing the increase in Gun sales, it is the fear of Obama and congressionally imposed weapons restrictions. In fact one of the biggest selling items at the state guns shows is ammo. People are buying it by the truck load and it is hard to get some types of ammo in the gun stores and sporting goods sections of standard retail stores.It's been in short supply for a long time .223, 7.62 x 39 and .45 acp are all on back order .

FlaGator
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
It's been in short supply for a long time .223, 7.62 x 39 and .45 acp are all on back order .

I've been able to get the .223 ammo, it's the .45 ACP and .45 longs that I'm having trouble with.

Odysseus
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
..."People are getting scared," said Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson. "The economy is scaring them. They don't want their houses broken into." Bronson's Cabinet agency includes the Division of Licensing that processes weapons permit applications. Figures released by Bronson's office show that it issued 75,679 permits in 2007 and 86,269 in 2008.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article976999.ece

The Agriculture Commissioner is named Charles Bronson? As in Death Wish? Who's the Secretary of State, Jean-Claude Van Damme? That's why gun sales are up! :D
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODgwOTg4NzkwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzIwNjM5._V1._ SX217_SY400_.jpg
Yes, I know that Charles Bronson, the actor, is dead. But c'mon, how could you guys miss this?

FlaGator
02-19-2009, 08:17 PM
The Agriculture Commissioner is named Charles Bronson? As in Death Wish? Who's the Secretary of State, Jean-Claude Van Damme? That's why gun sales are up! :D
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODgwOTg4NzkwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzIwNjM5._V1._ SX217_SY400_.jpg
Yes, I know that Charles Bronson, the actor, is dead. But c'mon, how could you guys miss this?

Clint Eastwood is the Tax Collector but he can't remember if get got six million dollars or only five.

Goldwater
02-19-2009, 09:04 PM
The world's economy didn't go down the gutter because they thought Obama was going to be president, it would've happened anyway and Obama's coronation didn't help.

patriot45
02-19-2009, 09:19 PM
The world's economy didn't go down the gutter because they thought Obama was going to be president, it would've happened anyway and Obama's coronation didn't help.

Your last 4 words are prophetic!

And by the way ammo is tough, I got lucky and just scored 500 rounds of 223 and about 6 months ago had picked up 400 rounds of 45acp. The kind people at Alexander Arms sent me 200 grendel rounds for the problems I had with a rifle from them, to add to the case of 6.5 I already have. My problem is that when I decided to buy guns, I wanted alot of different caliburs. Its time to learn how to reload!

Odysseus
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Clint Eastwood is the Tax Collector but he can't remember if get got six million dollars or only five.
I guess what it comes down to, is do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do you?

Yeah, but the Stimulus Package is going to accelerate the collapse. We can't afford to spend that much on crap, the Chinese economy is tanking and they can't afford to be buying up more bonds and the changes that the bill mandates in our economy will stall recovery for years.

Your last 4 words are prophetic!

And by the way ammo is tough, I got lucky and just scored 500 rounds of 223 and about 6 months ago had picked up 400 rounds of 45acp. The kind people at Alexander Arms sent me 200 grendel rounds for the problems I had with a rifle from them, to add to the case of 6.5 I already have. My problem is that when I decided to buy guns, I wanted alot of different caliburs. Its time to learn how to reload!
I have an NCO here who works for our small arms readiness group. He's also a columnist for a few magazines and tests ammo. He recently gave me a brick of .22 LR that he was given by the manufacturer. I should check with him and see if he's seeing ammo stocks drying up.