PDA

View Full Version : White House: Obama Opposes 'Fairness Doctrine' Revival

SarasotaRepub
02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
President Obama opposes any move to bring back the so-called Fairness Doctrine, a spokesman told FOXNews.com Wednesday.

The statement is the first definitive stance the administration has taken since an aide told an industry publication last summer that Obama opposes the doctrine -- a long-abolished policy that would require broadcasters to provide opposing viewpoints on controversial issues.

"As the president stated during the campaign, he does not believe the Fairness Doctrine should be reinstated," White House spokesman Ben LaBolt told FOXNews.com.

LINKY (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/18/white-house-opposes-fairness-doctrine/)

Rut Roh...I can hear the heads exploding at the DUmp!!!:D

AHeneen
02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
He's afraid the conservative views that would be required on liberal talk shows will expose their stupidity and hypocrisy! :rolleyes: :D

Dan D. Doty
02-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Obama just knows that the FD is just censorship in disguise and he also knows that every radio and television host will blow him out of his socks for it.

Wonder how the Moonbats are going to react to this?

Will Congress pass the FD, then have enough votes to override a veto.

I'll wait and see.

SecretOperative
02-19-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm not buying it. He also said, “We will ban all earmarks in the recovery package. And I describe earmarks as the process by which individual members insert pet projects without review. So what I’m saying is, we’re not having earmarks in the recovery package, period.”—Then President-elect Barack Obama, January 6th, 2009.

hmmmmm I smell bacon.

Odysseus
02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
TV folks (aside from Fox) and print media will support the FD for several reasons:

TV and print are exempt from FD. It only applies to radio. It would have zero effect on the editorial content of the networks and CNN or the NY Times. It would, however, decimate radio.
Even if TV and print were included in the legislation, the enforcers would be liberals, so no one is going to force CNN to provide time for conservatives, and even if they did, the various networks would simply find the most extreme conservatives that they could and present them as the mainstream ("...and now, let's get the conservative response from mainstream conservative spokesman and former nazi, David Duke. David...?").
MSM viewership/circulation and credibility have been severely impacted by talk radio, and anything that gets Rush, Sean and the rest off the air will, they believe, help restore their "rightful" place.

The moonbats will support anything that censors their adversaries. Look at any college campus to see how that works. Congress will happily vote for it, because unlike TV, which usually just attributes actions to "congress" as a whole or to one party or the other, talk radio names names. Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi are well-known (and loathed) beyond their districts because of talk radio, as are congress members such as Henry Waxman, John Murtha, Maxine Waters, John Conyers and Charlie Rangel, all of whom have been embarassed by the scrutiny that they have gotten for their conduct or voting records. The end of talk radio means a return to safe anonimity outside of their districts and committees. Even some Republicans, like the RINOs who went for the porkulus package, will sign on, since they get slammed as much as the Democrats do. If Obama is serious about opposing the return of FD, he may still be overridden by congress, or he may just be blowing smoke to try to undermine the organization of opposition.