PDA

View Full Version : Bible moved to top shelf in libraries to avoid upsetting Muslims.

FlaGator
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Even more items of Muslim appeasement from Great Britian

Bible moved to top shelf in libraries to avoid upsetting Muslims. Don't PC librarians make you sick?
Posted By: Damian Thompson at Feb 18, 2009 at 10:55:58 [General]
Posted in: Society , Religion
Tags:spineless librarians, The Holy Bible, the Koran

Public libraries are moving Bibles to their top shelves, in order to comply with yet another demand by offence-taking Muslims.

It seems that Muslims were "insulted" (their default mode) by the fact that the Koran was sometimes placed on low or middle shelves. So they insisted that it be put on the top shelf, "above all earthly things", which means that libraries have also moved the Bible and all "holy books" to the top.

Now the ruling has been backed by the government-funded Museums, Libraries and Archives Council, following consultations with the Federation of Muslim Organisations. The prime movers in this business appear to be those jolly folk, the librarians of Leicester.

What is it about librarians? When I was a boy, they were already banning Enid Blyton and Billy Bunter for "reinforcing stereotypes". The jobsworth mentality that we associated with library fines is now being applied to everything multi-culti, with gruesome results.

I think I'll pay a special visit to my local (super-PC) library this afternoon and have a look at the "holy books". And then maybe do a little rearranging of my own.

Whole article here (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/damian_thompson/blog/2009/02/18/bible_moved_to_top_shelf_in_libraries_to_avoid_ups etting_muslims_dont_pc_librarians_make_you_sick)

Odysseus
02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Whole article here (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/damian_thompson/blog/2009/02/18/bible_moved_to_top_shelf_in_libraries_to_avoid_ups etting_muslims_dont_pc_librarians_make_you_sick)

At least they're keeping the Bibles on the same shelves as the Koran. I expected this to be about placing the Bibles where Moslems wouldn't have to see them. It's silly and pointless, but it's not as bad as I expected it to be. The real test will come when Moslems object to the Koran and Bible being on the same shelves and demand that the Koran be elevated even further. What will the librarians do then?

PoliCon
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
At least they're keeping the Bibles on the same shelves as the Koran. I expected this to be about placing the Bibles where Moslems wouldn't have to see them. It's silly and pointless, but it's not as bad as I expected it to be. The real test will come when Moslems object to the Koran and Bible being on the same shelves and demand that the Koran be elevated even further. What will the librarians do then?

meh. I like to move the korans to the fantasy section ;)

CorwinK
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

You would think that Great Britain would take a lesson from 1940 as proof that appeasement doesn't work.

FlaGator
02-19-2009, 08:10 PM

What bothers me is the need to move things at all. If Christians or Jews had complained, I don't think they would have done anything. I imagine they’d get basically a "well that's tough, get over it” response. But people are so scared of upsetting the Muslims that they bend over backwards to make accommodations for any offense no matter how slight.

Bubba Dawg
02-19-2009, 08:46 PM
What bothers me is the need to move things at all. If Christians or Jews had complained, I don't think they would have done anything. I imagine they’d get basically a "well that's tough, get over it” response. But people are so scared of upsetting the Muslims that they bend over backwards to make accommodations for any offense no matter how slight.

Very true. Of course, Christians and Jews don't hijack airliners and crash them into buildings.

Don't appease these dreadful people. Offend them and tamp them down if they revolt. Perhaps they will go home.

Goldwater
02-19-2009, 09:00 PM

Librarians will destroy the muslims!

But it makes sense, all the holy books in one place.

FlaGator
02-19-2009, 09:24 PM

From what I understand, they all were together, just not on the top shelf.

patriot45
02-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Its not beneath me to flip an offensive book over. When Fankenfrogs book came out, it was flip it or puke! :D

PoliCon
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Its not beneath me to flip an offensive book over. When Fankenfrogs book came out, it was flip it or puke! :D

Hey - if they can hid Ann Coulters books in the book store . . . . turn about is fair play http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-green/greensmilies-013.gif

noonwitch
02-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Good question. I also wonder how muslims in this country react when a Gideon hands them a New Testament-I personally love the old guys, and how they would always show up on my college campus when the cults started recruiting. Even one of my die-hard atheist friends loved them, because they were so nice and they didn't preach, they just handed out Bibles.

Gingersnap
02-20-2009, 10:16 AM

That makes no sense. Christians regard the Word as holy but we don't have a special regard for the paper and glue that make up a physical book. Bibles have "value" in terms of their historic associations and provenance just like any other valuable manuscript or book.

Muslims have a degree of reverence for the actual object that defies Western norms. They have innumerable rules about how Korans handled, stored, read, and disposed of eventually. In some countries you can be beaten and imprisoned for damaging a Koran or for handing it disrespectfully.

The last thing we want is to support that kind of attitude toward the bible. We want people to shove bibles into backpacks or to read them while they eat or to mess up the pages with notes and highlighters. The book is just a medium - who cares what happens to the medium? The Word itself is the only important thing.

No wonder the Muslims are so intensely ignorant about their own scriptures, they are terrified to crack open the book for fear of committing some sin.

PoliCon
02-20-2009, 10:43 AM
That makes no sense. Christians regard the Word as holy but we don't have a special regard for the paper and glue that make up a physical book. Bibles have "value" in terms of their historic associations and provenance just like any other valuable manuscript or book.

Muslims have a degree of reverence for the actual object that defies Western norms. They have innumerable rules about how Korans handled, stored, read, and disposed of eventually. In some countries you can be beaten and imprisoned for damaging a Koran or for handing it disrespectfully.

The last thing we want is to support that kind of attitude toward the bible. We want people to shove bibles into backpacks or to read them while they eat or to mess up the pages with notes and highlighters. The book is just a medium - who cares what happens to the medium? The Word itself is the only important thing.

No wonder the Muslims are so intensely ignorant about their own scriptures, they are terrified to crack open the book for fear of committing some sin.
oh so your saying better than moving them would be to take a page out here or there. ;)

Gingersnap
02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
oh so your saying better than moving them would be to take a page out here or there. ;)

I'm saying the library should accommodate the Muslims by carefully locking up their holy book in an attractive case that will be out of the way vandals and infidels.

They can just dump the bibles around anywhere: tables, chairs, bathrooms, smoking areas, etc. We're all good with it. :D

Odysseus
02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Uh uh. Politics or current events. The Koran is a political tract, not just a religious document.

You would think that Great Britain would take a lesson from 1940 as proof that appeasement doesn't work.
They'd have to know about the lesson to learn from it. A poll last year found that nearly a quarter of Brits (23%) thought that Winston Churchill was a myth (and 47%, just under half, thought that Richard the Lionheart was also a myth) while the majority (58%) thought Sherlock Holmes was real. That's an astonishing degree of historical illiteracy.

it makes sense, all the holy books in one place.
Librarians can't be bothered to keep an eye on jihadis who are using their computers to search for bomb plans. And the holy books are already in one place, it's called the Religion Section. You can find Obama's books there, too. :D

Good question. I also wonder how muslims in this country react when a Gideon hands them a New Testament-I personally love the old guys, and how they would always show up on my college campus when the cults started recruiting. Even one of my die-hard atheist friends loved them, because they were so nice and they didn't preach, they just handed out Bibles.
They will be shocked and offended and CAIR will sue the Gideons for making them touch an unclean document.

Moslems are selectively offended about the Koran. The Wahhabi sect, or Hanbali school of Sunni Islam, which is the radical Islamist cult of choice, supposedly finds the veneration of objects to be a form of idol worship. There were historical accounts of the Saudi conquest of Mecca that referred to the Beduins cutting up the ornate leather covers of Korans to make sandals. The issue is not that the Koran cannot be touched or opened, it's that, like all of the trappings of Islam, it must be held over all of the trappings of Christianity and any other religion. This is about making sure that the dhimmi knows who is supreme.

I'm saying the library should accommodate the Muslims by carefully locking up their holy book in an attractive case that will be out of the way vandals and infidels.
They can just dump the bibles around anywhere: tables, chairs, bathrooms, smoking areas, etc. We're all good with it. :D
Makes sense. We can airlift a few hundred thousand to Riyadh and just scatter them from the air as a sign of how little care we have for the physical condition of the bible. :D