PDA

View Full Version : Obama beats out Jesus as America's hero

megimoo
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
ROCHESTER, N.Y. Americans named President Obama as their No. 1 hero, followed by Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King, in a new Harris poll.

Others in the top 10, in descending order, were Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Abraham Lincoln, John McCain, John F. Kennedy, Chesley Sullenberger and Mother Teresa.

People were asked whom they admired enough to call their heroes. Those surveyed were not shown a list of people to choose from. The Harris Poll was conducted online among a sample of 2,634 U.S. adults by Harris Interactive.

This question was first asked in a Harris Poll in 2001. In that survey Jesus Christ was the hero mentioned most often, followed by Martin Luther King, Colin Powell, John F. Kennedy and Mother Teresa.

The biggest changes upwards on this list into the top 10 since 2001, apart from Barack Obama, were:

George W. Bush was rated only 19th in July 2001, when he had been president for six months, and is now number 5 on the list.

John McCain, who was not in the top 20 in 2001, is now number 7.

Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot who landed his jet safely in the Hudson River, is ranked number 9.
snip

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1440284,w-obama-jesus-christ-hero-harris-poll021909.article

djones520
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Thats pretty amazing that Bush made #5, when there wasn't a list to choose from. Makes me think that maybe this country isn't really full of idiots.

CorwinK
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Am I the only one who finds it strange that we as a people are naming politicians as our heroes?

FlaGator
02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Attention ladies and gentlemen! This is another end of days alert! I repeat, this is another end of days alert! That is all.

megimoo
02-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Thats pretty amazing that Bush made #5, when there wasn't a list to choose from. Makes me think that maybe this country isn't really full of idiots.Not quite full but close enough !

lacarnut
02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Attention ladies and gentlemen! This is another end of days alert! I repeat, this is another end of days alert! That is all.

You can say that again. R. R. is the only politician that would make my list.

patriot45
02-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Your right, none of them played sports! :D

asdf2231
02-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Well they may have a point.

Not even Jesus ever turned $750 billion taxpayer dollars into a pile of crap.

PoliCon
02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
who would you name as your own top 10 heroes?

In no specific order:

George Washington

Winston Churchill

St. Francis of Assisi

Ronald Reagan

My Maternal Grandfather

My Pastor

My Wife

Joshua Ben Nun

John Chrysostom

Blaise Pascal

PoliCon
02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Well they may have a point.

Not even Jesus ever turned $750 billion taxpayer dollars into a pile of crap.Now see - I wouldn't call Jesus my hero. My reason for living maybe . . . . but not hero. Hero sounds too denigrating . . . .

blueyonder
02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Yep, the dumbing down of Americans has been accomplished. :(