PDA

View Full Version : Science in action: from observation to hypothesis

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Background: I was walking from Herald Square to Penn Station today and found myself behind a very attractive young lady wearing tight fitting white jeans, flouting one of my favorite assets in a woman. She also had relatively long hair, not thick but mid-back length, tied into a single pony tail.

Observation: Walking behind her, observing in the name of science, I noticed that (1) she moved her hips very well when walking and (2) her pony tail tended to bounce from side to side when she walked as well.

Correlation: Upon continued observation, I noticed that when her left buttock trended downward, while walking, her pony tail would swing to the right and when her right buttock trended downward, her pony tail would swing to the left.

Analysis: This seemed, on the surface, counter intuitive, as, without observation, I would have predicted the opposite.

Hypothesis: The motion of a walking woman's pony tail is in direct opposition to the motion of her buttocks.

Validation: Since I observed a relatively small sample set (1), I determined to expand that sample. However, being so intrigued with the results of the single sample (who went all the way to Penn Station in front of me), I failed to do so. I shall undertake that as a scientific mission and, hopefully, publish the results in a peer-reviewed journal soon.

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Background: I was walking from Herald Square to Penn Station today and found myself behind a very attractive young lady wearing tight fitting white jeans, flouting one of my favorite assets in a woman. She also had relatively long hair, not thick but mid-back length, tied into a single pony tail.

Observation: Walking behind her, observing in the name of science, I noticed that (1) she moved her hips very well when walking and (2) her pony tail tended to bounce from side to side when she walked as well.

Correlation: Upon continued observation, I noticed that when her left buttock trended downward, while walking, her pony tail would swing to the right and when her right buttock trended downward, her pony tail would swing to the left.

Analysis: This seemed, on the surface, counter intuitive, as, without observation, I would have predicted the opposite.

Hypothesis: The motion of a walking woman's pony tail is in direct opposition to the motion of her buttocks.

Validation: Since I observed a relatively small sample set (1), I determined to expand that sample. However, being so intrigued with the results of the single sample (who went all the way to Penn Station in front of me), I failed to do so. I shall undertake that as a scientific mission and, hopefully, publish the results in a peer-reviewed journal soon.

Your long discourse could've been avoided if you just admitted you're a pervert. :D

megimoo
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Validation: Since I observed a relatively small sample set (1), I determined to expand that sample. However, being so intrigued with the results of the single sample (who went all the way to Penn Station in front of me), I failed to do so. I shall undertake that as a scientific mission and, hopefully, publish the results in a peer-reviewed journal soon.Her center of gravity shifted in the opposite direction of her hips and the pony tail behaved like a pendulum in response !Those things can be quite hypnotic in motion, did you salivate ?

linda22003
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I can't believe you never noticed that before. Think of it as counterbalance.

Molon Labe
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Background: Walking behind her, observing in the name of science, I noticed that (1) she moved her hips very well when walking and (2) her pony tail tended to bounce from side to side when she walked as well.

Two things at once!! I don't think I would have been able to notice that for concentrating on two things that nice at once.

megimoo
06-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Two things at once!! I don't think I would have been able to notice that for concentrating on two things that nice at once.It's amazing how those things affect a normal man .

Bubba Dawg
06-25-2008, 08:54 PM
CW, I admire your scientific analysis. You are a a true Renaissance man.

May I suggest a theme song for your new Mr. Science show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WsmSgBRUe4&feature=related

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science"?:p

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 08:56 PM

But hopefully not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJcqPS3VQ0. :D

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science"?:p

More likely the theme song will be With Points of her Own (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBFL5cDKv98). :D

Bubba Dawg
06-25-2008, 09:02 PM
But hopefully not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJcqPS3VQ0. :D

Never. You're way too healthy in (your) body and your mind.... :D

Lager
06-25-2008, 09:11 PM
It would be an interesting experiment to determine whether the tightness of the fabric affects the acceleration of the buttocks motion up or down. I'm sure it had an effect on your speed of movement. :D

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Never. You're way too healthy in (your) body and your mind.... :D

Ah, but what if all the people say, what a shame that he's dead, but wasnt he a most peculiar man? What will I do then.

Oh, never mind. I'll be dead! :D

Bubba Dawg
06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
It would be an interesting experiment to determine whether the tightness of the fabric affects the acceleration of the buttocks motion up or down. I'm sure it had an effect on your speed of movement. :D

Be careful guys. A man can get lost in there.

Bubba Dawg
06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Ah, but what if all the people say, what a shame that he's dead, but wasnt he a most peculiar man? What will I do then.

Oh, never mind. I'll be dead! :D

I will be your Blind Harry and compose a suitable epic in iambic pentameter.

Perhaps Dante would be more appropriate??

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I will be your Blind Harry and compose a suitable epic in iambic pentameter.

Perhaps Dante would be more appropriate??

Harry Crews! Alright!!! But I'm warning you, I don't eat no cars. :D

Bubba Dawg
06-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Harry Crews! Alright!!! But I'm warning you, I don't eat no cars. :D

A post apocalyptic story in the style of Cormac Mccarthy. You and Penelope Cruz in a fortified Liquor warehouse. I'm still working on the soundtrack.

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
A post apocalyptic story in the style of Cormac Mccarthy. You and Penelope Cruz in a fortified Liquor warehouse. I'm still working on the soundtrack.

I don't know. I always viewed myself more as Otherguy Overby, banging Georgia Blue, prior to going out with Artie on another scam at Happy Valley. :D

LogansPapa
06-26-2008, 10:04 AM
We men build pyramids, bridges, skyscrapers, break the sound barrier, fly to the moon, dive to the depths of every ocean on the planet and after all that we can still be distracted enough to drive our cars into trees by that magic sight.

Excellent analysis. ;)