PDA

View Full Version : Book Thread!

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
I wanted to ask a couple CUers here about an author but I figured I'd start a thread...

I started reading an author I haven't read in YEARS (and I have four of their books, having previously read two others in the past), RIPPER by Michael Slade. Really like their stuff (Slade is actually a pseudonym for what is now a father/daughter writing team, from Canada), kinda gritty, raw, edgy psychological horror novels but intelligently done (no fluff stuff like James Patterson). I Googled Slade and found an official website and also a link to a Fangoria online interview from last week. They're doing a motion picture of Headhunter (the first Slade novel from the mid-80's) due out in 2009 and the new Slade book due out in September is called CRUCIFIED, and will be the first without the Detectives from the RCMP Special X unit. But the plot sounds very cool.

Anyone else on here read Slade?

linda22003
06-25-2008, 07:53 PM
I'll bet you and I have never read one book in common, in our entire lives.

(on edit: No, I take that back. I have, in fact, read all of Lovecraft).

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
I'll bet you and I have never read one book in common, in our entire lives.

(on edit: No, I take that back. I have, in fact, read all of Lovecraft).

Possibly...now go buy an Edward Lee book! :cool:

(About HPL...I have to admit I have read more of Poe than Lovecraft...but I think that the older I am the more I appreciate what he did for my genre than Poe...)

linda22003
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, it's definitely not my genre. Of all the great supernatural writers, my absolute favorite is M.R. James.

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, it's definitely not my genre. Of all the great supernatural writers, my absolute favorite is M.R. James.

To each his or her own. I DO read other things...recently read a James Hall mystery novel, UNDER COVER OF DAYLIGHT, the first Thorn novel. Also like Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey, and Randy White (all Florida mystery writers). I don't read much sci/fi-fantasy, but do like stuff by Stephen R. Donaldson and the original Dune novels by Frank Herbert, the original Conan books by Robert E. Howard. Some thrillers by David Morrell, James Rollins, Matthew Reilly, and of course Preston & Child.

megimoo
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I wanted to ask a couple CUers here about an author but I figured I'd start a thread...

I started reading an author I haven't read in YEARS (and I have four of their books, having previously read two others in the past), RIPPER by Michael Slade. Really like their stuff (Slade is actually a pseudonym for what is now a father/daughter writing team, from Canada), kinda gritty, raw, edgy psychological horror novels but intelligently done (no fluff stuff like James Patterson). I Googled Slade and found an official website and also a link to a Fangoria online interview from last week. They're doing a motion picture of Headhunter (the first Slade novel from the mid-80's) due out in 2009 and the new Slade book due out in September is called CRUCIFIED, and will be the first without the Detectives from the RCMP Special X unit. But the plot sounds very cool.

Anyone else on here read Slade?Just about all of them and looking for the next one !They are my favorites starting with Ghoul .The plot of Ghoul was very much HP Lovecraftian l

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Anyone else on here read Slade?

Why are you wasting your time with horror novels when you could be outside performing scientific experiments?

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Why are you wasting your time with horror novels when you could be outside performing scientific experiments?

Because I'm not a scientist...duh...:D

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Just about all of them and looking for the next one !They are my favorites starting with Ghoul .The plot of Ghoul was very much HP Lovecraftian l

Yeah, GHOUL was the first Slade novel I read (back when it first came out) and then I picked up HEADHUNTER. They have another novel (one I haven't read) that's also got a Lovecraft-esque tone to it, but cannot recall the title.

Cold Warrior
06-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Because I'm not a scientist...duh...:D

Ah, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express and watch Fox News on the default channel (whatever the f that is) last night?

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Ah, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express and watch Fox News on the default channel (whatever the f that is) last night?

Point taken...:cool:

megimoo
06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, GHOUL was the first Slade novel I read (back when it first came out) and then I picked up HEADHUNTER. They have another novel (one I haven't read) that's also got a Lovecraft-esque tone to it, but cannot recall the title.
In the book Ghoul the mother was insane and died in an asylum and the father was a pedophile beast whom the ghoul killed but his grandfather continued to provided for him .

Lovecrafts father was insane and died Lovecraft thereafter was raised by his mother, his two aunts and his grandfather.

The book you cannot recall is "Bed Of Nails"

DarkScribe
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
In the book Ghoul the mother was insane and died in an asylum and the father was a pedophile beast whom the ghoul killed but his grandfather continued to provided for him .

Lovecrafts father was insane and died Lovecraft thereafter was raised by his mother, his two aunts and his grandfather.

The book you cannot recall is "Bed Of Nails"

YES! Thanks, Meg. BoN is also partly set at the WHC (World Horror Con) as well. I may have to read that one soon. :cool:

SarasotaRepub
06-26-2008, 07:29 AM
I've run across his books somewhere but it must have been a while ago.

I'm currently reading Strike Force by Dale Brown. It involves Iran and blowing
thing up. :D

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm a Slade fan. Right now I'm slogging through Hell's Gate by Weber and Evans but I'm about ready to pass it on to Mr. Snaps. Too much magic. :(

linda22003
06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I think I may be an outlier here. I'm currently in the midst of "The History of the United States During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson", by Henry Adams (published 1889-1891).

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I think I may be an outlier here. I'm currently in the midst of "The History of the United States During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson", by Henry Adams (published 1889-1891).

It's summer. I can't read anything serious until September - it's some kind of Federal regulation. :p

DarkScribe
06-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm a Slade fan. Right now I'm slogging through Hell's Gate by Weber and Evans but I'm about ready to pass it on to Mr. Snaps. Too much magic. :(

Working in a bookstore I am amazed by how much (and how BIG) those Weber/Evans books are...not my thing, genre-wise, but Weber himself has a huge back-list of titles.

linda22003
06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
It's summer. I can't read anything serious until September - it's some kind of Federal regulation. :p

I know - I can only read Trollope in summer, and Dickens in winter.

megimoo
06-26-2008, 10:26 AM

I am a fan of American history starting with the Civil and Revolutionary Wars.
I'm interested in the events that led up to the wars ,the causes the little incidents ,the major outbreaks of both wars.In the events that led to the start of the war in Boston from the stupid things the British did to the players who were involved.

'Three Men of Boston' is a good book to understand the feelings of the times and the 'pull' loyalists to mother England and the passion of those advocating separation from her rule in the soon to be America !

The three men mentioned (Thomas Hutchinson, James Otis, and Samuel Adams)all had a role in the eventual war of separation from England !.

Shannon
06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm just starting a biography on Anne Neville. I won't mention the last book I read.:o

Troll
06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm reading a book that I 'borrowed' from my parents last time I visited there, and I strongly recommend it to all CU-ers. It's called The Book of Lists by David Wallechinsky and Irving and Amy Wallace. I've got the first (1977) edition. It has lists on every subject you can think of with lots of information accompanying the lists. Some of the better lists:

- The 20 most important events in American history
- 10 worst films all time
- 15 famous events that happened in the bathtub
- The sexual aberrations and peculiarities of 20 well-known men
- 9 possible visitations from outer space

Shannon
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm reading a book that I 'borrowed' from my parents last time I visited there, and I strongly recommend it to all CU-ers. It's called The Book of Lists by David Wallechinsky and Irving and Amy Wallace. I've got the first (1977) edition. It has lists on every subject you can think of with lots of information accompanying the lists. Some of the better lists:

- The 20 most important events in American history
- 10 worst films all time
- 15 famous events that happened in the bathtub
- The sexual aberrations and peculiarities of 20 well-known men
- 9 possible visitations from outer space

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one famous event that happened in the bathtub.

Troll
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Off the top of my head, I can only think of one famous event that happened in the bathtub.

It's actually really fun (in a geeky sort of way) to play with this book if you have a friend handy. The person with the book says "okay, there's a list of 16 books that changed the world", and the other person tries to guess a few of them. I think there's some kind of innate urge in humans to list and categorize things. :confused:

Some of the events that happened in the bathtub (sans descriptions):

Archimedes' Discovery
Marat's Assassination
The Bonapartes' Argument
Wagner's Inspiration
Carroll's Orgy
King Haakon's Fall

linda22003
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Marat's meeting with Charlotte Corday is the one bathtub thing that came to mind, for me.

megimoo
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I've just picked up a book recommended by someone here"Among the Immortals" by Paul Lake.A vampire mystery ?

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I've just picked up a book recommended by someone here"Among the Immortals" by Paul Lake.A vampire mystery ?

I recommended "Cry Wolf" not "Among The Immortals". :mad:

megimoo
06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I recommended "Cry Wolf" not "Among The Immortals". :mad:I didn't mention you !:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I didn't mention you !:rolleyes:

Who else has read Paul Lake on this board? The guy's a poetry professor!

bijou
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
If anyone comes across a thriller called Crystal Skull by Manda Scott, put it down and run, don't walk, away from it. It was dreadful, wthout a single redeeming feature. I only persisted with it because I was on a long train journey and it was the only book I had with me.
http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Skull-Manda-Scott/dp/0385340109/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214515194&sr=8-3

LibraryLady
07-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I received a book about Nelle Harper Lee for my birthday and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It is called Mockingbird (http://www.amazon.com/Mockingbird-Portrait-Charles-J-Shields/dp/080507919X).

Cold Warrior
07-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Girding myself this morning to begin Michael Reynolds' four volume biography of Hemingway: The Paris Years (http://www.amazon.com/Hemingway-Paris-Michael-S-Reynolds/dp/0393318796/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215955435&sr=1-2), The Homecoming (http://www.amazon.com/Hemingway-Homecoming-Michael-S-Reynolds/dp/0393319814/ref=pd_sim_b_1), The 1930s (http://www.amazon.com/Hemingway-1930s-Michael-S-Reynolds/dp/0393317781/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b), and The Final Years (http://www.amazon.com/Hemingway-Final-Years-Michael-Reynolds/dp/0393320472/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b). Unlike my attitude towards Fitzgerald, I've always found Hemingway's life more readable than his works, excepting The Sun Also Rises (http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Also-Rises-Ernest-Hemingway/dp/0743297334/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215955767&sr=1-1), which may be the best novel of the 20th century. I find it interesting that, while Hemingway died in 1961, the author partitions his life into three volumes covering the period 1920-1939 and one covering the remaining 20+ years!

FlaGator
07-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I am currently reading several books but the main ones are "The Philosopher's Handbook" edited by Stanley Rosen and "The Mind of God" by Paul Davies. "The Philosopher's Handbook" is a collection of writings from various philosophers throught history and is a very good book for anyone who wants to be exposed to a lot of different philosophical points of view in a short period of time. "The Mind of God" concerns itself with a scientific/philosophic look at the evidence for the existence of a Creator.

megimoo
07-13-2008, 07:25 PM

Anyone else on here read Slade?Reading Swatzstikar now .I found a Slade 'Gold Mine'
at the local library and I am working my way through it !