PDA

View Full Version : Obama Surges to Double Digit Leads

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 12:55 AM
The Obama and the McCain campaigns seemed to agree on one thing Wednesday: Barack Obama is ahead.

In Washington, Obama’s campaign manager, David Plouffe, laid out for reporters an aggressive, confident—even cocky– strategy for a Democratic victory in November. He said the campaign sees 18 battleground states, including some traditional swing states—Ohio, Iowa, Missouri–but many that have been reliably Republican for a long time, including Alaska, Montana, North Dakota and Georgia. In assessing each state, Plouffe made the case that Obama is competitive or slightly ahead.
Obama_presser_art_400_20080625182157.jpg
Barack Obama listens to a question during a news conference in Chicago Wednesday. (AP)

“We have a fantastic organization” in Alaska, he said, in a typical assessment. In Virginia and North Carolina, there are lots of unregistered black and young professional voters who would vote for Obama. Explaining Indiana, a state that has routinely voted Republican, he said, “This is a place where we ask you to reorient your thinking.”

Plouffe said that the campaign considers just four states that Democrat John Kerry won in 2004 to be battlegrounds: Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. The rest of the states on the Obama battleground list were all taken by President Bush. John McCain will be playing defense, Plouffe argued, while Obama makes inroads into the GOP heartland.

He went on to review polling on women, Hispanics and independents. Guess what? It all looks good for Obama.

Not only that, but Obama’s campaign is so confident, so organized and so well-funded, that it will mount organizations in all 50 states, with volunteers in non-competitive states making phone calls into swing states and helping down-ballot Democrats. For instance, in Texas, Plouffe said, the Obama campaign can help elect Democrats to the state legislature, which will draw new congressional districts in 2010.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/06/25/obama-and-mccain-agree-obama-is-ahead/

If you want links to the 12% and 15% nationwide margins over the past couple of days I can provide them. These leads are anything but meaningless, if Barack Obama's supertracker gets above 10% he will a hold a lead that is historically impossible to overcome for McCain.

nightflight
06-26-2008, 01:24 AM
The only poll that counts is the one on election day.

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 01:27 AM

If Obama really holds the lead these polls are suggesting McCain stands a less than 5% chance at winning the election.

AmPat
06-26-2008, 04:30 AM
If Obama really holds the lead these polls are suggesting McCain stands a less than 5% chance at winning the election.

Too bad for all the rest of us. I just hope if that happens, we will be able to put the USA back on track. Afterall, Carter was slightly better than Obama and we survived his destructive policies.

Zathras
06-26-2008, 07:28 AM

Unfortunantly the gutless wonder Eyelids doesn't understand this...and many other things as well. But that comes from being a college educated punk with no real life experiences.

YupItsMe
06-26-2008, 09:05 AM

You do know that thousands of conservatives across the country love to mess with these polls, because you stupid libs put so much stock in them. Then when we win on election day we get all that free entertainment watching you guys throw your hissy-fits. The added benefit of course is that it always makes the left look like sore losers. It's all a brilliant Rovian plot.

Perilloux
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Anything but meaningless? You might be interested in this article (http://www.newsweek.com/id/143258/page/2) I read this morning. From the article, 2nd to last paragraph last page:

The day the Democratic convention ended in San Francisco in 1984, the Newsweek poll showed Walter Mondale 18 points ahead of President Ronald Reagan. Mondale ended up getting clobbered, 49 states to one.

:eek:

ReaganForRus
06-26-2008, 10:32 AM
These polls are meaningless. You have to look at the internals. Most internals are inherently weighted toward a liberal bias. Having done more than my share of actual polling, three components come into play.

(1.) the sampling size of the pool,
(2.) the breakdown of the pool variables (% Democrats,%Republicans,%Independents), and
(3.) the actual inquiries and their design. (Most questions are designed by a candidate to a preconceived outcome.)

The liberal bias comes into play when a poll is skewed in favor to democrats on an assumption that there are more Democrats than Republicans. If this was true, Democrats would never lose an election. People lie in polls and have to be discounted as such. Most people are either conservative or liberal to various degrees and a well designed poll will be balanced in the choices presented in a balanced question format.

lacarnut
06-26-2008, 11:10 AM
What is so pathetic about these polls like Rats. is that the stupid fucker can not get the total percentage to add up to 100%.

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Anything but meaningless? You might be interested in this article (http://www.newsweek.com/id/143258/page/2) I read this morning. From the article, 2nd to last paragraph last page:

:eek:

thats one poll. Mondale never held an 18% lead over Reagan nationwide, statistical noise at work.

Molon Labe
06-26-2008, 12:51 PM

Your probably right...Unfortunately....We have done this to ourselves.
But poll results are a real bugger. You've got 5 months of crap to come. And don't be sure that the McCain machine doesn't have something up it's sleeve.

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 12:51 PM
You do know that thousands of conservatives across the country love to mess with these polls, because you stupid libs put so much stock in them. Then when we win on election day we get all that free entertainment watching you guys throw your hissy-fits. The added benefit of course is that it always makes the left look like sore losers. It's all a brilliant Rovian plot.
If people are really skewing the polls they are doing huge damage to the McCain campaign. If a state that is within McCain's reach polls unreasonably towards Obama because of lying in polls or a state appears much closer than it is (prompting the campaign to waste resources in that area) it can cost the Republicans the election.

Campaigns put HUGE stock in polls... so before you try to skew a poll think about what you're doing.

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Your probably right...Unfortunately....We have done this to ourselves.
But poll results are a real bugger. You've got 5 months of crap to come. And don't be sure that the McCain machine doesn't have something up it's sleeve.
I really think the Clinton's would've found it.

Teetop
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Isn't this is poll which only had a sampling of 22% republican?

I believe it is.

Nice try, eyebugger.

ReaganForRus
06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Campaigns put HUGE stock in polls... so before you try to skew a poll think about what you're doing.

LOL............eyesty really shows just how disconnected it really is. Polls play a small part in a campaign. In a national campaign, most polling is conducted to identify hot issues, not voting patterns. Polling is a Kodak moment to a campaign, nothing more, nothing less. What drives campaigns are actual issues, answers and how a candidate will actual govern and lead.

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
LOL............eyesty really shows just how disconnected it really is. Polls play a small part in a campaign. In a national campaign, most polling is conducted to identify hot issues, not voting patterns. Polling is a Kodak moment to a campaign, nothing more, nothing less. What drives campaigns are actual issues, answers and how a candidate will actual govern and lead.

Haha, a campaign is about getting elected... and getting elected requires a majority. Polling tells you how you are doing in states, and though in and of themselves polls dont predict -- the snapshot they provide is a valuable tool for any campaign.

Teetop
06-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Haha, a campaign is about getting elected... and getting elected requires a majority. Polling tells you how you are doing in states, and though in and of themselves polls dont predict -- the snapshot they provide is a valuable tool for any campaign.

Unless the poll is skewed, like this one is.

:rolleyes:

LogansPapa
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
You've got 5 months of crap to come. And don't be sure that the McCain machine doesn't have something up it's sleeve.

What he's got up his sleeve doesn't bother me - it's that load he's carrying in his Depends that does.:eek:

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Do you have proof this poll was skewed?

Teetop
06-26-2008, 05:57 PM

22% sampling of republicans tells me all I need to know.

biccat
06-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Do you have proof that this poll exists?

Did you know that Obama is down 85%-15% among unregistered left handed seventeen year olds who will turn 18 in October three days before the deadline to register to vote?

It's true, I saw it on the internets.

LogansPapa
06-26-2008, 06:02 PM

Did you use 'The Google?' :p

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 06:06 PM
LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-poll25-2008jun25,0,5763707.story

Newsweek:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/142465/page/1

Zathras
06-26-2008, 06:34 PM
LA Times:

Newsweek:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! 2 of the most left wing pieces of crap media and he sites them as sources.

lacarnut
06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Do you have proof that this poll exists?

Did you know that Obama is down 85%-15% among unregistered left handed seventeen year olds who will turn 18 in October three days before the deadline to register to vote?

I saw that too, and don't you know that McCain is going to put an ass whipping on the Magic Negro.

Zafod
06-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Again I would like to say, I am a fucking tool and a troll.

I agree. Thanks for being honest.

Zeus
06-26-2008, 07:49 PM
June 25, 2008

Gallup Daily: Obama, McCain Tied at 45% (http://www.gallup.com/poll/108376/Gallup-Daily-Obama-McCain-Tied-45.aspx)

Obama had held at least a slim advantage for most of June

PRINCETON, NJ -- The latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking (http://www.gallup.com/tag/Gallup%2bDaily.aspx) update on the presidential election finds John McCain and Barack Obama exactly tied at 45% among registered voters nationwide.
http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/080625DailyUpdateGraph1_bnputed.gif
Voter preferences had been fairly evenly divided for the past week, with Obama generally holding a slight advantage of two or three percentage points. This is the first time since Gallup's May 31-June 4 rolling average that Obama does not have at least a slim advantage over McCain. Obama's largest lead to date has been seven points. (To view the complete trend since March 7, 2008, click here (http://www.gallup.com/poll/107674/Interactive-Graph-Follow-General-Election.aspx).)

Since the changes from Tuesday's results are well within the margin of sampling error, it is unclear at this point if today's results represent a further tightening of the race. The last two individual nights of polling have, however, been more favorable to McCain that what Gallup has shown for most of June. -- Jeff Jones

MrsSmith
06-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Which candidate do you think is the most in touch with the American people?

http://www.pollingpoint.com/files/results/cands%20in%20touch/candspple4.PNG

Do you think the following presidential candidates are elitist?

http://www.pollingpoint.com/files/results/cands%20in%20touch/candspple2.PNG

http://www.pollingpoint.com/result/22

lacarnut
06-26-2008, 09:25 PM
June 25, 2008

Gallup Daily: Obama, McCain Tied at 45% (http://www.gallup.com/poll/108376/Gallup-Daily-Obama-McCain-Tied-45.aspx)

Obama had held at least a slim advantage for most of June

PRINCETON, NJ -- The latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking (http://www.gallup.com/tag/Gallup%2bDaily.aspx) update on the presidential election finds John McCain and Barack Obama exactly tied at 45% among registered voters nationwide.
http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/080625DailyUpdateGraph1_bnputed.gif
Voter preferences had been fairly evenly divided for the past week, with Obama generally holding a slight advantage of two or three percentage points. This is the first time since Gallup's May 31-June 4 rolling average that Obama does not have at least a slim advantage over McCain. Obama's largest lead to date has been seven points. (To view the complete trend since March 7, 2008, click here (http://www.gallup.com/poll/107674/Interactive-Graph-Follow-General-Election.aspx).)

Since the changes from Tuesday's results are well within the margin of sampling error, it is unclear at this point if today's results represent a further tightening of the race. The last two individual nights of polling have, however, been more favorable to McCain that what Gallup has shown for most of June. -- Jeff Jones

Looks like the next time Gallup takes their poll McCain might be ahead. That do nothing Democratic Congress with no solutions for high gasoline prices looks like it may be taking its toll on the lefties.

Eyelids closed will not be pleased. The Magic Negro is going to get trounced.

Eyelids
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Is the best poll you can find for McCain a tie?! Hahaha.

lacarnut
06-26-2008, 10:20 PM

Obama is in deep shit if a lefty poll like Gallup has them tied. The last laugh is going to be on the Magic Negro and you when McCains wins at least 40 states out of the 57 by Obama's count. Independents are not going to vote for an anti-american, racist, dumb ass like Obama.

sgrooms
06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I would tend to agree with your point of view. This is setting up (supposedly) to be a HUGE democrat year, and yet B. Hussein can't even pull ahead of McCain out of the margin of error.

If I was B. Hussein's campaign, I would be scratching my head instead of my dick to find out what was going on.

lacarnut
06-26-2008, 11:17 PM

If I was B. Hussein's campaign, I would be scratching my head instead of my dick to find out what was going on.

McCain will have very few gaffs along the way and all the dirt on McCain is front and center. On the other hand, there will many surprises that will surface about Obama's past and his policies. Obama will put his foot in his mouth so many times, he will turn voters off because of his radical left wing positions. Without a written script, he does not come off as a silver tongue devil like Bill Clinton.

nightflight
06-27-2008, 12:04 AM

"Is the best poll you can find for Obama a tie?!"

Dumbass Frenchiecat.

ReaganForRus
06-27-2008, 08:34 AM

Glad to see that you agree that polls do not play a huge role in campaigns. Issue and actual answers run campaigns

Full-Auto
06-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I have little doubt Obama will win in November. We're a nation of idiots and I have absolute faith in the lemmings to elect a Marxist militant (anti-white) black to the Presidency then sit back for 4 years and wring their hands wondering why the whole house of cards came crashing down. I promise you after the first year you will be hard pressed to find a single person, except for the DUmmies, who will admit having voted for him.

It's our own fault. We put up McCain who is by far the weakest candidate the Republicans could have fielded. They might as well have talked Bob Dole into another run.

I'm going to sit back, laugh (and cry) and say "I told you so" for the next 4 years because at this point we're powerless to change what's about to happen.

So get your checkbooks out ladies and get ready for a VERY expensive next 4 years. Say hello to outrageous tax hikes, $8 a gallon gas, an even worse housing market... basically, say hello to the late 70's all over again.

biccat
06-27-2008, 09:04 AM
LA Times:

Newsweek:

"In this national poll's random sample of voters, 39% identified themselves as Democrats, 22% as Republicans and 27% as independents."

...which means despite 17% more respondents identifying themselves as Democrats over Republicans, the Messiah only had a 12-15% lead.

And I love this spin:
"But the great majority of Clinton voters have transferred their allegiance to Obama, the poll found, with 11% of Clinton voters defecting to McCain."

1 in 9 Hillary voters transferred to McCain. If she got 1/2 the Democrat primary vote, that means we can expect about 5% of Democrats to switch to McCain.

Can you say landslide?

lacarnut
06-27-2008, 09:22 AM
I have little doubt Obama will win in November. We're a nation of idiots and I have absolute faith in the lemmings to elect a Marxist militant (anti-white) black to the Presidency then sit back for 4 years and wring their hands wondering why the whole house of cards came crashing down. I promise you after the first year you will be hard pressed to find a single person, except for the DUmmies, who will admit having voted for him.

It's our own fault. We put up McCain who is by far the weakest candidate the Republicans could have fielded. They might as well have talked Bob Dole into another run.

I'm going to sit back, laugh (and cry) and say "I told you so" for the next 4 years because at this point we're powerless to change what's about to happen.

So get your checkbooks out ladies and get ready for a VERY expensive next 4 years. Say hello to outrageous tax hikes, $8 a gallon gas, an even worse housing market... basically, say hello to the late 70's all over again.

I am so sure that you are wrong, I may bet a couple thousand that McCain will kick the Magic Negro ass in Nov.

Zeus
06-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Once upon a time this Guy Named Ronald Reagan was considered one of the weakest candidates the Rep party had ever put forth. That weakest candidate was elected & re-elected by the largest margins in US history. Not saying McCain is Reagan but single issue voters or voters looking for 100% satisfaction have been & will continue to be wrong when it comes to judging the political pulse of the nation.

linda22003
06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I am so sure that you are wrong, I may bet a couple thousand that McCain will kick the Magic Negro ass in Nov.

No bets here. I think it could go either way, with equal ease. A lot will depend on missteps on either side during the campaign.

Molon Labe
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Once upon a time this Guy Named Ronald Reagan was considered one of the weakest candidates the Rep party had ever put forth. That weakest candidate was elected & re-elected by the largest margins in US history. Not saying McCain is Reagan but single issue voters or voters looking for 100% satisfaction have been & will continue to be wrong when it comes to judging the political pulse of the nation.

And McCain attracted a lot of Moderates and Democrats in 2000 primaries...so he's much more likely than most Republicans to nab that group.. Point is....this isn't a slam dunk for Obama.

lacarnut
06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
No bets here. I think it could go either way, with equal ease. A lot will depend on missteps on either side during the campaign.

I am waiting for the odds-makers to make Obama the favorite like 3/2.

Moderates and Democrats will come out of the wood-works to vote for McCain and Obama will take an awful beating

Eyelids
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM

I like your "can-do" attitude!

Eyelids
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
McCain is not Ronald Reagan. Have you heard McCain speak? He has no charisma at all, and certainly not a Reagan-esque ability to communicate. That comparison is trash.

Also, there are more Democrats than Republicans in America... its just turnout rates are better amongst Republicans as us Dems are pretty apathetic (I hate them for it).

YupItsMe
06-27-2008, 01:01 PM
McCain is not Ronald Reagan. Have you heard McCain speak? He has no charisma at all, and certainly not a Reagan-esque ability to communicate. That comparison is trash.

Also, there are more Democrats than Republicans in America... its just turnout rates are better amongst Republicans as us Dems are pretty apathetic (I hate them for it).

Let me guess, another poll, right?

megimoo
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM

So get your checkbooks out ladies and get ready for a VERY expensive next 4 years. Say hello to outrageous tax hikes, $8 a gallon gas, an even worse housing market... basically, say hello to the late 70's all over again.I have faith in the real American voters.They have shown in the past that they will never elect a liberal .
They go about their daily lives to make a living for their family's and ignore politics until it starts to hurt economically and they have trouble feeding their family's then they wake up.

Congress will be in deep trouble if they don't do something to drill more oil.They can wag their pointy little heads and blame Bush but most people will cut through that B.S and dump them !

This crap about taxing the big oil company's doesn't do a thing for the common man with sky high gasoline prices and the price keeps on going up.Obama is against drilling for more of our own oil so he will be in deep shit with the average non political working stiff.

The Radical/Maoist San Francisco liberals made a big mistake in throwing Hillary under the progressive bus and taking a big chance on this bozo.He has more crap on his shoes than any liberal wannabe since Mike Dukakas !

This critters mother was a full blown radical anti-white chick from the sixties revolutionary set .She refused to even date white guys and only went out only with blacks.She was a life long full blown radical and the apple never falls far from the tree !

Eyelids
06-27-2008, 02:06 PM
She refused to even date white guys and only went out only with blacks.

Well, you know what they say...

Lager
06-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Tell you what, I'll vote for Obama as long as you agree that if he wins, you will try to get your side to:

Stop stirring up the bored, middle aged caucasian libs with the "white guilt" thing.
Never let any white dude make another rap album
Quit making up names for your kids that we can't pronounce
Disown Michael Jackson
Finally admit that Kwanzaa is a joke
Retire Al Sharpton
Curtail the use of ebonics
Please let us have at least one decent wide receiver in the NFL
Encourage the use of belts with trousers that are too big

Eyelids
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Stop stirring up the bored, middle aged caucasian libs with the "white guilt" thing - It's just as uncomfortable for us as it is for them; if somebody doesnt like me I'm perfectly fine with that and I'd much rather they tell me upfront than conceal it because of my skin color.
Never let any white dude make another rap album - How about less rap albums in general? I dont know, I've liked 2 rap albums in the past 12 months (Wale's mixtape and Kanye West's latest)... I still like some of it but the days of GZA, ATCQ and Public Enemy are gone. People should be listening to Sonic Youth and Radiohead not Rick Ross.
Quit making up names for your kids that we can't pronounce - Or ones that dont carry a stigma of gang crime. Of course the same goes for Billy Bob and Jo-Dean.
Disown Michael Jackson - And Janet please.
Finally admit that Kwanzaa is a joke - I treat like I do Christmas, with indifference.
Retire Al Sharpton - To be honest I like Al, he's a pretty nice guy. But, the civil rights battle is different now than it was in his time, we need new leadership there.
Curtail the use of ebonics - The accent is fine, but yea double negatives gotta go.
Please let us have at least one decent wide receiver in the NFL - Thats not something I, or the rest of the black race, is ready for just yet. We've come along way but lets not get crazy.
Encourage the use of belts with trousers that are too big - I wear courderoys. How unblack is that?

Molon Labe
06-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Tell you what, I'll vote for Obama as long as you agree that if he wins, you will try to get your side to:

Never let any white dude make another rap album

I don't know....Paul's Boutique is pretty special in my collection....and I'm not too fond of rap. :D

CLibertarian
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Too bad for all the rest of us. I just hope if that happens, we will be able to put the USA back on track. Afterall, Carter was slightly better than Obama and we survived his destructive policies.

It took the better part of a decade to recover from the Carter administration.

biccat
06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
"Once you go black, you can't get credit?"

Zathras
06-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Eyelids is a gutless, lying waste of skin.

MrsSmith
06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
This is just for 'lids...just in case he/she comes back:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3539944

spanone (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-29-08 06:15 PM
Original message
my local nbc station news just reported that the race between obama & mccain was a statistical tie

:D

AmPat
06-30-2008, 05:37 AM

There's the problem with today's voters, they vote entirely their feelings about a candidate and not on substance.

Obama- He's like the little 4 banger cars out there with loud fart-maker mufflers; all show and no go.

McCain on the other hand has no show but SOME go. He has substance.

The voters act like they are electing the next American Idol instead of the next American President.

Your voting attitude is clear, you want to vote for Obama because he is Black, charismatic, and he speaks well, and not becaus ehe is prepared or capable of becoming the most powerful person in the world..