PDA

View Full Version : 7 Bullshit Rumors That Caused Real World Catastrophes

PoliCon
02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
#7. The Five-Billion Dollar Steve Jobs Rumor

The Rumor:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs had a heart attack!

The Damage:

As soon as word hit the internet that Jobs had been rushed to the hospital with a failing heart, this happened to Apple stock:

In the first hour of trading the stock lost 10% of its value ($4.8 billion motherfucking dollars), spurred by panicked investors who apparently believe that Apple Computer Inc. is made up entirely of Steve Jobs working alone in his garage.

How It Got Started:

A teenager and a keyboard.

Authorities say the whole thing was just some random 18-year-old posting the rumor to CNN's iReport website, which boasts at the top of its page, "... The stories submitted by users are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post."

CONTINUED (http://www.cracked.com/article_16869_7-bullshit-rumors-that-caused-real-world-catastrophes.html)

stsinner
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Pure genius...

enslaved1
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
How long until "Hope and Change" gets added to the list?

PoliCon
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
That wasn't a rumor - that was a bait and switch.

noonwitch
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
There was a worse Liz Claiborne one, that Spike Lee helped spread. It's on Snopes.

It was an urban legend, that one of my black friends told me. The same one they tried with Tommy Hilfiger, later. Liz allegedly told Oprah that she didn't design clothes for black women. The interesting thing is that Liz Claiborne never appeared on Oprah's show, and when this rumor started, Liz didn't even own the label anymore.

Liz's clothes looked good on all women. Black, white, fat and thin.

djones520
02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Post the rest. Comm nazi's say I can't see that site.