PDA

View Full Version : Kittens

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Okay...so we have kittens at the office now...I think there are 4 of them. They look to be about 2-3 weeks old. Adorable as anything. So, what am I supposed to do? Should I just let them be and have them enter the world of strays? Should I capture them and try to give them away? Should I capture them and take them to a shelter? (I don't really want to do that as I am sure some of them will be "euthanized".

Oh...and in the interim...do you think it's okay for them to have coffemate mixed with water?

Shannon
05-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Okay...so we have kittens at the office now...I think there are 4 of them. They look to be about 2-3 weeks old. Adorable as anything. So, what am I supposed to do? Should I just let them be and have them enter the world of strays? Should I capture them and try to give them away? Should I capture them and take them to a shelter? (I don't really want to do that as I am sure some of them will be "euthanized".

Oh...and in the interim...do you think it's okay for them to have coffemate mixed with water?

You clearly must sacrifice them to appease me.

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 07:40 PM
You clearly must sacrifice them to appease me.

Engine is started...

Shannon
05-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Engine is started...

I'm going to start bawling uncontrollably now. I had done that well of blocking it out of my mind. Damn you, Phillysow!, Damn you!!

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm going to start bawling uncontrollably now. I had done that well of blocking it out of my mind. Damn you, Phillysow!, Damn you!!

And I am now having uncontrollable fits of laughter again. :D

DarkHalo
05-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Have them neutered and then if you cant find them homes release them . At least they wont perpetuate the problem. Theres always low cost clinics to do that too. Locally the Humane Society does it very reasonably.

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Have them neutered and then if you cant find them homes release them . At least they wont perpetuate the problem. Theres always low cost clinics to do that too. Locally the Humane Society does it very reasonably.

But can they have the coffee mate (please say yes...I just put out the second bowlful)?

Gingersnap
05-30-2008, 08:07 PM
But can they have the coffee mate (please say yes...I just put out the second bowlful)?

I they are 2 or 3 weeks old Mom is still feeding them. Feed Mom the fake creamer.

Catch them (and Mom, if possible) and confine them to a corner of your law office. They will benefit from the socialization and the presence of kittens will mitigate the nasty things people think about lawyers.

When they are old enough, get them fixed and get their shots and then guilt your more passive clients into adopting them. :D

SarasotaRepub
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Engine is started...

Damn!!!! You beat me to it!!!:D:D

VERY eeeeeevil Philly.

LibraryLady
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/cats/blackorwithcream.jpg

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 08:29 PM
I they are 2 or 3 weeks old Mom is still feeding them. Feed Mom the fake creamer.

Catch them (and Mom, if possible) and confine them to a corner of your law office. They will benefit from the socialization and the presence of kittens will mitigate the nasty things people think about lawyers.

When they are old enough, get them fixed and get their shots and then guilt your more passive clients into adopting them. :D

I think Mom drank the first bowl. I saw her drinking water out of a planter (I need to get rid of that water) so I put the bowl out. I haven't seen the kittens venture to that side of the patio. Later I saw the kittens just a few feet from their "nest" on the other side of the patio...the creamer was all gone in less than 10 minutes...I assume they drank it as they watched me put it there and I didn't see her near them.

As for them changing my rep...that would be bad for business.

They're on their own again until Sunday. I'll see what to do with them on Sunday. I can't believe I'm thinking about taking one for myself. The allergies will just about kill me. And god knows I can't keep a cactus alive...what am I thinking attempting something with a nervous system?

Gingersnap
05-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Seriously, catch them and socialize them now. Cats are pretty primitive in this regard. If you wait too long, no amount of interaction will really tame them. You can rehab a feral dog but feral cats are mostly hopeless if you don't get them young.

Name your new cat Billable Hours.

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Seriously, catch them and socialize them now. Cats are pretty primitive in this regard. If you wait too long, no amount of interaction will really tame them. You can rehab a feral dog but feral cats are mostly hopeless if you don't get them young.

Name your new cat Billable Hours.

Then I will have to keep one of the males.

Is it true that all orange tabbies are male?

Gingersnap
05-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Then I will have to keep one of the males.

Is it true that all orange tabbies are male?

Your new cat will have no reproductive capacity. Who cares what sex 'Billy' is? :D

gator
05-30-2008, 09:02 PM

The little guys just want to live. You should socialize with them so they be accustom to humans and then try and find them a good home. Take care of Mom and she will feed them for a few weeks.

Do the right thing. Life is too precious just to waste.

Bubba Dawg
05-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Socialize them, feed them, and buy a really large reptile just to keep 'em n their toes.

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 09:37 PM
The little guys just want to live. You should socialize with them so they be accustom to humans and then try and find them a good home. Take care of Mom and she will feed them for a few weeks.

Do the right thing. Life is too precious just to waste.

Why do they have to live in a human home?

Jumpy
05-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Well you can't let them roam loose, to make thousands more unwanted kitties. So.. you have a few options, since they have become your responsibility. :D

1. Take them to a shelter. If you have a local Petsmart, they might be able to direct you to a nokill shelter.

2. Befriend them, and when they are old enough, have them fixed, and allow them to continue to live outside.

3. Give them forever homes with you.

I am sure the half and half creamer, or whatever it is you gave them, will not hurt them. Hungry cats eat practically everything. Hopefully mama cat enjoyed the creamer and is still nursing her babies.

It is tough to turn a needy kitty away. I recently rescued one too.

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Well you can't let them roam loose, to make thousands more unwanted kitties. So.. you have a few options, since they have become your responsibility. :D

1. Take them to a shelter. If you have a local Petsmart, they might be able to direct you to a nokill shelter.

2. Befriend them, and when they are old enough, have them fixed, and allow them to continue to live outside.

3. Give them forever homes with you.

I am sure the half and half creamer, or whatever it is you gave them, will not hurt them. Hungry cats eat practically everything. Hopefully mama cat enjoyed the creamer and is still nursing her babies.

It is tough to turn a needy kitty away. I recently rescued one too.

There is something wrong with my karma today. First, the kittens. Then, there were kids selling cookies in my neighborhood. I stopped the car when they waved me down...they were giving them away (said they were "closing up for the day! :) ). I asked them how much they were anyway and paid them for them.

What next...I take another pro bono case?

I need to shake this karma.

gator
05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Why do they have to live in a human home?

Do you want to live on the streets?

Do the right thing.

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Do you want to live on the streets?

Do the right thing.

Cats aren't on the top of my list right now. There's one that's been following me around that I suspect is retarded.

gator
05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Cats aren't on the top of my list right now. There's one that's been following me around that I suspect is retarded.

Do the right thing.

The Night Owl
05-30-2008, 11:12 PM

Catster is a good site which can be used to find suitable homes for kittens and cats...

http://www.catster.com/

SarasotaRepub
05-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Do the right thing.

Turn them over to a Chink fast food place? GATOR!!!! :mad::p:D

Phillygirl
05-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Do the right thing.

Oh, crap. I took a pro bono case this week and didn't even pass it off to one of my associates. I should be good for at least a month on not having to do the right thing.

SaintLouieWoman
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh, crap. I took a pro bono case this week and didn't even pass it off to one of my associates. I should be good for at least a month on not having to do the right thing.

Need update on the kittens. Were they still at the office? Did you decide to keep them for a while?

Let me warn you----5 cats is not a good thing. We stayed at a home in Florida with 5 cats, all in the master bedroom. (Beware of free lodging with relatives and the offer of the master bedroom---that was where the cats lived). I discovered that I must be allergic to cats. The Florida trip, at least the first 3 days, was miserable.

Remember all the scooping of litter. Find a good no-kill shelter. You'll be greytful for this advice. :D

Zafod
06-03-2008, 05:05 PM
And I am now having uncontrollable fits of laughter again. :D

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/funny-pictures-kittens-everytime-lol-caption.jpg

Gern
06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
I love little kittens!

A little salt, some tumeric, about 1/2 hour at 350 degrees and they come out oh-so-tasty!

biccat
06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
There's one that's been following me around that I suspect is retarded.
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-grey-kittens-crazy-face-family.jpg

Shannon
06-03-2008, 05:17 PM

Odd. I have the same problem.

Phillygirl
06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Need update on the kittens. Were they still at the office? Did you decide to keep them for a while?

Let me warn you----5 cats is not a good thing. We stayed at a home in Florida with 5 cats, all in the master bedroom. (Beware of free lodging with relatives and the offer of the master bedroom---that was where the cats lived). I discovered that I must be allergic to cats. The Florida trip, at least the first 3 days, was miserable.

Remember all the scooping of litter. Find a good no-kill shelter. You'll be greytful for this advice. :D

Cats are still here. Momma cat drinks the creamer...baby cats drank some as well. I haven't been able to catch one yet (okay...I haven't tried that hard, because once I do it's my responsibility). My friend reminded me how allergic I am, so I won't be taking any home with me (they are soooo cute though!). My partner has begged me not to tell his wife about them, as she already feeds about 20 feral cats at their house, plus they have 3 that were rescued by either her or their daughter.

There's still a split in the building as to who says leave them alone and who says take them to a no kill shelter. Honestly, if I take them to a shelter it will be no kill. I'm not a huge animal person, but I really couldn't give them to a shelter knowing they'd be killed.

SaintLouieWoman
06-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Cats are still here. Momma cat drinks the creamer...baby cats drank some as well. I haven't been able to catch one yet (okay...I haven't tried that hard, because once I do it's my responsibility). My friend reminded me how allergic I am, so I won't be taking any home with me (they are soooo cute though!). My partner has begged me not to tell his wife about them, as she already feeds about 20 feral cats at their house, plus they have 3 that were rescued by either her or their daughter.

There's still a split in the building as to who says leave them alone and who says take them to a no kill shelter. Honestly, if I take them to a shelter it will be no kill. I'm not a huge animal person, but I really couldn't give them to a shelter knowing they'd be killed.

I doubt very much if young kittens would be killed. Can't say that about the mom. Usually people adopt kittens and pups---not adult dogs. I volunteered for a humane society, but only lasted less than 4 months. I couldn't stand how the adult dog section would be suddenly cleared. I knew they weren't all adopted. The pups and kitties moved to homes quickly.