PDA

View Full Version : Yet another D'Souza vs Hitchens debate

wilbur
02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
This is a new debate between Dinesh D'Souza and Christopher Hitchens about god, religion, and all that stuff.

These guys have debated many times, so this match up has been pretty stale for me for a some time... but they manage to freshen it up a bit and put on an entertaining debate. Hitchens was in really good form (havent seen that for a long time), and I think left Dinesh squirming on a number of occasions.

Heres the link if interested:

http://www.thomascenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=162&Itemid=207

Gingersnap
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Have you ever thought about posting in the Lounge or Recipes? Seriously, do you have no other interests outside of atheism? I'll admit that's absorbing topic but come on - don't you ski or play tennis or chess or pickle hot peppers or something?

You have to have some kind of life outside of annoying Christians. :D

FlaGator
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Have you ever thought about posting in the Lounge or Recipes? Seriously, do you have no other interests outside of atheism? I'll admit that's absorbing topic but come on - don't you ski or play tennis or chess or pickle hot peppers or something?

Hey give him some credit. He does the best he can publicizing a losing cause.

wilbur
02-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Hey I talk about abortion sometimes too. I have my issues besides atheism :)

I just mostly find myself absorbed in philosophy these days, any kind. But most of the postings of the sort in the lounge don't attract me... I have real life outlets for that sort of interaction... but philosophical discussions not so much. In any case, they are never quite as satisfying IRL to me simply because one can mull over points more carefully in a forum type format.... the conversation can be much more considered (although that doesnt always happen) ;)

Lager
02-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Not only atheism, he robotically defends every typical liberal meme. I wish he'd surprise us for once and show some originality. Abortion, euthanasia, secularism, gay marriage, global warming .........yadda, yadda, yadda. It's always the cookie cutter, approved liberal view he defends. Perhaps he'll do the unexpected and shock us all with a little independent thinking some day.

Gingersnap
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey I talk about abortion sometimes too. I have my issues besides atheism :)

I just mostly find myself absorbed in philosophy these days, any kind. But most of the postings of the sort in the lounge don't attract me... I have real life outlets for that sort of interaction... but philosophical discussions not so much. In any case, they are never quite as satisfying IRL to me simply because one can mull over points more carefully in a forum type format.... the conversation can be much more considered (although that doesnt always happen) ;)

Then let's discuss. I share your interest in the DB format that allows for real mulling over and back-and-forth.

You always seem to be more interested in Christian topics than any other.

Pick one and start a new thread. Pick a position and articulate it without reference to media sources. Just pick one. I can assure you that we will be totally engaged without boring the people who are mainly interested in the news.;)

wilbur
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Not only atheism, he robotically defends every typical liberal meme. I wish he'd surprise us for once and show some originality. Abortion, euthanasia, secularism, gay marriage, global warming .........yadda, yadda, yadda. It's always the cookie cutter, approved liberal view he defends. Perhaps he'll do the unexpected and shock us all with a little independent thinking some day.

Because these are the issues where conservatives display the most unreason, IMHO.

I suppose some feel better or get some solidarity by doing cheerleader threads where everyone agrees or laments something together, but I don't.

Constitutionally Speaking
02-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Because these are the issues where conservatives display the most unreason, IMHO.

I suppose some feel better or get some solidarity by doing cheerleader threads where everyone agrees or laments something together, but I don't.

Wilbur, are you up for the founding of our Country debate yet???

noonwitch
02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Hitchens is hated by a lot of people on the left, mainly for his strong condemnation of Islamic practices in the world. The last time I saw him on Maher's show, he was booed by the audience. He also appeared very drunk.

I agree with him on some things, like Islam's brutal treatment of women and children, but not on atheism. Although, he has the same right to be an atheist that I have to be a christian.

FlaGator
02-25-2009, 10:08 AM

Most people think that people who disagree with them are unreasonable. It the bias that we have towards our own opinions and the need to be right. Just look at libs and conservatives. Both sides want the best for America, but both sides have different and sometimes contrary approaches. Being firmly in one camp means that you or I can't truly determine the other's unreasonableness and for the sake of a productive discussion we need to avoid calling the other side unreasonable. However, we can determine the logic of anotherís argument based on the rules of logic. This is what I attempt to do in many cases. I may not declare someone's argument to be unreasonable, but I can and do declare that it is not logical. There are set rules to determine the logic of anotherís argument.

wilbur
02-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Hitchens is hated by a lot of people on the left, mainly for his strong condemnation of Islamic practices in the world. The last time I saw him on Maher's show, he was booed by the audience. He also appeared very drunk.

I agree with him on some things, like Islam's brutal treatment of women and children, but not on atheism. Although, he has the same right to be an atheist that I have to be a christian.

Hitchens also supported the Iraq war, and I think he leans towards pro-life. He gets lots of hate thrown his way from both sides.

wilbur
02-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Wilbur, are you up for the founding of our Country debate yet???

I initially set the bar for myself really high on that, was gathering all kinds of sources etc, and was really going to go all out like it was a term paper... then lost interest. So perhaps I should start it up simpler, in the interest of actually getting things going:P

megimoo
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Their First Debate .
Dinesh D'Souza Debates Christopher Hitchens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlCKuag_Ac8&feature=related

megimoo
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM

I am not positive but I think that part of his terms for appearance requires a portion of scotch,A certain kind provided by the committee .During the Dinesh D'Souza you can see the dram on the podium .

Goldwater
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Dinesh D'Souza is a pretty bad debater anyway, Hitchens leaves a lot of holes in his arguments if someone who could think quick could take him on.

noonwitch
02-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Hitchens also supported the Iraq war, and I think he leans towards pro-life. He gets lots of hate thrown his way from both sides.

He also hated Mother Theresa, and wrote a series of articles trying to tie her organization to terrorists. A lot of people on both right and left didn't like that.

megimoo
02-25-2009, 07:30 PM
He also hated Mother Theresa, and wrote a series of articles trying to tie her organization to terrorists. A lot of people on both right and left didn't like that.
His obsession with her makes you kind of wonder if he hasn't some inner evil at work .Why would anyone actually hate Mother Theresa .Her work has been acclaimed by both Christians and non Christians in India and worldwide !

megimoo
02-25-2009, 07:38 PM
A Christian Fundamentalist in the Making

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFqSE1JL7Gs&feature=related

wilbur
02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
His obsession with her makes you kind of wonder if he hasn't some inner evil at work .Why would anyone actually hate Mother Theresa .Her work has been acclaimed by both Christians and non Christians in India and worldwide !

I think it had something to do with her service to the idea that poverty is a good, honorable, desirable thing.

noonwitch
02-26-2009, 08:52 AM
I think it had something to do with her service to the idea that poverty is a good, honorable, desirable thing.

He was also questioning the people who gave her money, which she really didn't do.