PDA

View Full Version : Luxury toilet paper is more harmful to the environment than gas-guzzling cars

bijou
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Extra-soft toilet paper is more harmful to the environment than gas-guzzling cars, campaigners claimed yesterday.

An obsession by Americans for the expensive quilted and multi-ply paper means that thousands of trees are being cut down for the U.S. market every year.

More than 98 per cent of toilet paper in the country comes from virgin forests and uses hardly any recycled materials.

Toxic fumes are also released into the atmosphere because of the chemicals used in paper pulp manufacture.

In Europe, up to 40 per cent of toilet paper comes from recycled products.

Scientist Allen Hershkowitz of the Natural Resources Defence Council, said: 'This is a product that we use for less than three seconds and the ecological consequences of manufacturing it from trees is enormous.

'Future generations are going to look at the way we make toilet paper as one of the greatest excesses of our age.

'Making toilet paper from virgin wood is a lot worse than driving Hummers in terms of global warming pollution....
link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1156741/Luxury-toilet-paper-harmful-environment-gas-guzzling-cars.html?ITO=1490)

In Obama world you will be rationed to 5 sheets a day. :D

PoliCon
02-27-2009, 12:36 PM
link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1156741/Luxury-toilet-paper-harmful-environment-gas-guzzling-cars.html?ITO=1490)

In Obama world you will be rationed to 5 sheets a day. :D

This is the same crap they used back in the 80s to force us from paper to plastic bags and you see how badly that turned out. :rolleyes:

FlaGator
02-27-2009, 12:41 PM
This is the same crap they used back in the 80s to force us from paper to plastic bags and you see how badly that turned out. :rolleyes:

I'm keeping my luxury toilet paper. Sheryl Crow is only using one square per trip to the bathroom so I'm getting her square credits.

ralph wiggum
02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm still mad about low-flow toilets, so this news is even stupider.

Gingersnap
02-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm keeping my luxury toilet paper. Sheryl Crow is only using one square per trip to the bathroom so I'm getting her square credits.

There is no cap and trade in the toilet paper industry. Expect a toilet paper audit of your home from a cheerful "community service worker" shortly. :cool:

FlaGator
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
There is no cap and trade in the toilet paper industry. Expect a toilet paper audit of your home from a cheerful "community service worker" shortly. :cool:

If Rev. Gore can start an industry dealing in carbon credits, I feel I can start an industry dealing in TP Square credits. Usage will be reported on a TPS report.:D

Celtic Rose
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Trees are an absolute renewable resource, and paper biodegrades quite well, so I refuse to feel guilty about using soft toilet paper :p And I'll use however much I need to keep my hands clean :cool:

Most paper manufacturers purposes plant, cut, and replant fast growing trees. They aren't generally using old growth forest for toilet paper :rolleyes:

scd1008
02-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I must admit, I never really thought about 'luxury toilet paper'
My wife and I buy the biggest and the cheapest pack at Sams Club.
But since we are on the subject:
Why are those who come up with this madness, allowed to wander around unsupervised.
In the past, this is what Mental Hospitals were for !

PoliCon
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Trees are an absolute renewable resource, and paper biodegrades quite well, so I refuse to feel guilty about using soft toilet paper :p And I'll use however much I need to keep my hands clean :cool:

Most paper manufacturers purposes plant, cut, and replant fast growing trees. They aren't generally using old growth forest for toilet paper :rolleyes:

RIGHT - and this is also a way that they use up left overs from other products.

scd1008
02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
In today's lumber industry there is NO waste.
Even the saw dust is used for horse bedding and the smallest of chips are incorporated into those 'fire starters' and
'fire logs' in the big box stores.
My wife and I heat with wood cut from our tree lines.
All is used for a purpose.

OldDude201
02-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I hate to admit it but, Ronald Reagan got the federal funding cut.
But look at how entertaining they can be. If you put scotch-tape on the bottom of their feet they try to walk without touching the floor. Or you can try peanut butter on top of the nose. Hilarious.

Why are those who come up with this madness, allowed to wander around unsupervised.

megimoo
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
In the past, this is what Mental Hospitals were for !When you consider just how many 'wipes a day' Americans make this becomes a vital national issue worthy of an advocate like algore.

Odysseus
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I knew that the feds were going to be up our collective asses, but that's ridiculous.

If Rev. Gore can start an industry dealing in carbon credits, I feel I can start an industry dealing in TP Square credits. Usage will be reported on a TPS report.:D
I like it. But how will you confirm that someone isn't using more than their allotted amount of toilet paoer?

When you consider just how many 'wipes a day' Americans make this becomes a vital national issue worthy of an advocate like algore.
Gore will have to find a new scam now that the climate has cooled for the fifth straight year.

Proud Infidel
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
I already flush twice, I figure Al Gore Jr. needs the water. I make my living in a paper mill, and I can tell you that the American paper and lumber industries are THE biggest tree planting entities in the world! Weyerhauser alone plants more trees in one year than ALL of the slobbering do-gooder orgs do in 10!! Down here, a well-managed pine tree farm will produce a marketable crop in as little as 10-12 years, and pine trees have been a cash crop for at least decades!!
At the mill where I work, we harvest the pulp of course, and we recover and recycle the liquor used to digest the chips. The remainder is sent to a chemical plant next door, and it's turned into a big list of things such as chewing gum base, adhesives, pine and tallin oil,.... NOTHING from the tree goes to waste, and it's private industry that made it happen. Yes, the free market, the companies simply want to take something that they have to dispose of, and find a way to turn it into a marketable product, ever wonder what happens with hooves, beaks, entrails, etc. from the meat industry? It all gets rendered into a huge list of products that are used to make paint, wallboard, clothing dyes, etc. It's one reason that the "animal free products are SO inferior!!
Anyway, back to the paper. we also recycle anywhere from 80-200 tons a week, the higher grades of linerboard HAVE to have so much new fiber, and paper can only be recycles 3-4 times before the pulp becomes useless. Another one of our mills down here exclusively recycles, and tha US paper industry passed the 50% mark years ago, yes, over half the paper made here is recycled now!! As for emissions, our mill has spent over $80 mil in the past 10 years on emissions controls, and the smelly sulphur and chlorine fumes that used to be belched are now captured and recycled!! Lefty libs simply view ALL industry like the characters in the old "Captain Planet" cartoons. Y'hnow, [I] think it'd be fun to smuggle in a few rolls of toilet paper to A Sheryl Crow concert and toss 'em around while she's singing!

Gingersnap
02-27-2009, 10:28 PM

The mental health liberation movement fueled by the Democrats effectively eliminated supervised living arrangements for the type of people who write these kinds of stories.

I buy toilet paper by the gross at Sam's Club. It could be made out of the pre-born pelts of baby snow leopards for all I care.

Odysseus
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
The mental health liberation movement fueled by the Democrats effectively eliminated supervised living arrangements for the type of people who write these kinds of stories.

I buy toilet paper by the gross at Sam's Club. It could be made out of the pre-born pelts of baby snow leopards for all I care.

Doesn't get any softer than that. :D

Gingersnap
02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Doesn't get any softer than that. :D

So I've heard. :D

Constitutionally Speaking
02-28-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm still mad about low-flow toilets, so this news is even stupider.

They REALLY save water also -NOT!!! I cannot remember the last time one flush successfully took care of a "#2 job". Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 flushes.

Friggen idiots.

Proud Infidel
02-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I remember the last time I visited my Uncle in Michigan, he has an old house with the old 6-gal tanks, and no matter WHAT you launch into the bowl, it's GONE in one flush!!:eek::D

PoliCon
02-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I remember the last time I visited my Uncle in Michigan, he has an old house with the old 6-gal tanks, and no matter WHAT you launch into the bowl, it's GONE in one flush!!:eek::D

AH! the good old days! My friend in SoCal tells me that there is a big market in smuggling toilets . . . . .

blueyonder
02-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Crap, I get it. LOL

Bubba Dawg
02-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Which toilet paper is best for the environment? Only assholes would know....:D

Odysseus
02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
They REALLY save water also -NOT!!! I cannot remember the last time one flush successfully took care of a "#2 job". Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 flushes.
Have you considered adding fiber to your diet? :D

Which toilet paper is best for the environment? Only assholes would know....:D
It just shows that liberals favor government intrusions into places that it really has no business sticking its nose into. :D

Bubba Dawg
02-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Have you considered adding fiber to your diet? :D

It just shows that liberals favor government intrusions into places that it really has no business sticking its nose into. :D

LOL. Both those were funny. :D