PDA

View Full Version : Men and Women and Marriage Expectations

Molon Labe
06-26-2008, 01:59 PM
What do you think about this?
The old adage:

A man marries a woman hoping she won't change.
A woman marries a man hoping he will change.

If you take this as a given...then don't you think men may have the more realistic outlook on marriage?

linda22003
06-26-2008, 02:02 PM
No. They are equally unrealistic. That's the point of the saying, that both points of view are doomed to disappointment.

Phillygirl
06-26-2008, 02:02 PM
What do you think about this?
The old adage:

A man marries a woman hoping she won't change.
A woman marries a man hoping he will change.

If you take this as a given...then don't you think men may have the more realistic outlook on marriage?

Yes, in terms of that quote.

LogansPapa
06-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Gravity defeats the manís dream and ego defeats the womanís.;)

Molon Labe
06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Gravity defeats the manís dream and ego defeats the womanís.;)

Leave it to you......:rolleyes::D

LogansPapa
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Leave it to you......:rolleyes::D

What?:confused: I remembered to put my helmet on! (sorry ladies :o)

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I think this is broadly true. Sensibly, I've never tried to change Mr. Snaps in any significant way. I wanted a finished adult male - not the kit format.

Sadly, he just has to deal any "gravity" issues on my part privately. :D

lurkalot
06-26-2008, 08:13 PM
interestingly enough I have found that I fit the more male stereotype being the executive, independent, gutting my own fish kinda gal...and most of the guys I have met initially say they love that about me..then begin to be intimidated and want me to be cute, cuddly, subservient and stupid...

Shannon
06-26-2008, 08:17 PM
interestingly enough I have found that I fit the more male stereotype being the executive, independent, gutting my own fish kinda gal...and most of the guys I have met initially say they love that about me..then begin to be intimidated and want me to be cute, cuddly, subservient and stupid...

It's that third time that is the charm. You have to go through one more before you get it right.:p

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Really? How bizarre.

I've had the opposite experience. Guys seem to be highly attracted to my fish-gutting ways (sometimes overly so). On the other hand, I'm a girly dresser, I don't kill my own bugs, and I cook, sew, and do other hyper-feminine things.

One thing I never do is try to make guys disclose their "real" feelings. So far as I'm aware, guys don't actually have "real" feelings. It's like trying to make a buffalo dance - they get annoyed and you get frustrated. :D

lurkalot
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
It's that third time that is the charm. You have to go through one more before you get it right.:p

does it have to be an actual marriage? :confused:

lurkalot
06-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Really? How bizarre.

I've had the opposite experience. Guys seem to be highly attracted to my fish-gutting ways (sometimes overly so). On the other hand, I'm a girly dresser, I don't kill my own bugs, and I cook, sew, and do other hyper-feminine things.

One thing I never do is try to make guys disclose their "real" feelings. So far as I'm aware, guys don't actually have "real" feelings. It's like trying to make a buffalo dance - they get annoyed and you get frustrated. :D

men have strong attachments to two things..food and sex...there is no emotion involved.

I'm not big on the hyper feminine things, although I do like to cook does that count?

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 08:31 PM
men have strong attachments to two things..food and sex...there is no emotion involved.

I'm not big on the hyper feminine things, although I do like to cook does that count?

Probably not. I suspect you are a Mayo-eater. :p

linda22003
06-27-2008, 07:59 AM

Actually, that's what I like about guys - what you see is what you get. They don't have multiple layers of mystery. They'd have no idea how to achieve that, even if they could summon the energy to do so.

LogansPapa
06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Really? How bizarre.

My God. I'm in love. Be still my beating heart! Fish guts and funny too!;)

lurkalot
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Actually, that's what I like about guys - what you see is what you get. They don't have multiple layers of mystery. They'd have no idea how to achieve that, even if they could summon the energy to do so.

bullshit..men may have only two things on their mind..but they will lie, cheat, steal and manipulate to get it!

noonwitch
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
That pretty much sums up why my parents' marriage failed-my mom thought she could get him to stop drinking, and he never dreamed she'd become a domineering, borderline, codependent dictator.

Ironically, my dad did stop drinking after they divorced and his current wife and he have a relationship of equals.

My mom found someone more domineering than herself, and is now dependent on his every word.

BSR
06-27-2008, 12:27 PM
bullshit..men may have only two things on their mind..but they will lie, cheat, steal and manipulate to get it!

Hold up. I have never lied, cheated ,stole or manipulated to get food.. :mad:

But seriously, that's a pretty broad brush your using to paint us males. You should probably use the smaller "some men" brush. It fits better. :)

linda22003
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM

But their attempts are so transparent, it's kind of cute. It's like they have a glass plate in their heads you can look right into.

lurkalot
06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
But their attempts are so transparent, it's kind of cute. It's like they have a glass plate in their heads you can look right into.

thats true, it is rather amusing. try dating as a single mom and watch them sucking up to a kid that couldn't care less can be quite entertaining..

as for lying cheating stealing and manipulating to get food.. I have only two words BBQ RIBS
now where is your ethical principles?

Shannon
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
thats true, it is rather amusing. try dating as a single mom and watch them sucking up to a kid that couldn't care less can be quite entertaining..

I never let any of the men I dated meet Tristan. It was bad enough turning down all the "presents" for him from these idiots in an attempt to impress a kid they had never met.

BSR
06-27-2008, 01:33 PM

as for lying cheating stealing and manipulating to get food.. I have only two words BBQ RIBS
now where is your ethical principles?

I'd crack my mother in the back of the head with a brick for just one BBQ rib..

mmmmmmmm ribs....

lurkalot
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd crack my mother in the back of the head with a brick for just one BBQ rib..

mmmmmmmm ribs....

I rest my case!

lurkalot
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I never let any of the men I dated meet Tristan. It was bad enough turning down all the "presents" for him from these idiots in an attempt to impress a kid they had never met.

in a small town, Lilly goes pretty much where I go. I don't hang out in bars, so have my little tag along everywhere, work, grocery store, movies, etc.