PDA

View Full Version : 'Well It's About Time, Some Good News At Last !"

megimoo
02-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Report: RIAA Undergoing Massive Layoffs

The Recording Industry Association of America is firing scores of workers, a "bloodbath" as some have described it.

The recession, and its announced pullback of its 5-year-old litigation campaign, are among the reasons.

Hypebot.com reports dozens of RIAA workers are being let go. The "RIAA as you know it is probably history by Tuesday of next week," the site says. The site predicts the group is likely to merge with the International Federation of the Phonographic Industries, the RIAA's European counterpart which is part of the ongoing trial against The Pirate Bay in Sweden.

Cara Duckworth, an RIAA spokeswoman, says in an e-mail to Digital Media News that: "Can't confirm number but I can confirm there were layoffs."

The move comes two months after the music industry's litigation and lobbying front announced an end to its 5-year litigation campaign, in which more than 30,000 individuals had been sued for file sharing. The RIAA, which defeated Napster and Grokster in court, said instead of litigation it would work with ISPs to suspend file sharing copyright scofflaws a plan that has not materialized.

Duckworth did not immediately return e-mails or phone calls for comment.

The Motion Picture Association of America, the film studio's litigation and lobbying arm, announced layoffs weeks ago.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/02/riaa-undergoing.html

linda22003
02-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Why is that good news? :confused:

Space Gravy
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I have a hard time being happy when people, even those on the other end of the political or cultural structure from me, lose their jobs. It's really getting tough out there.

PoliCon
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't feel bad about these people losing jobs. These are organizations who's sole purpose was to beat people up with lawsuits. I'm glad to see them going out of business. I'd like to see even more sheister lawyers out of work! The only better would be to see massive bureaucratic layoffs!

Sonnabend
02-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Why is that good news? :confused:...you have to ask?

And it isn't good news...it's FANTASTIC news...could not have happened to a better set of people.

Karma's a bitch, aint it?

While most of the RIAA file sharing cases settle out of court for a few thousand dollars, one lawsuit has gone to trial. It resulted in a $222,000 verdict against a Minnesota woman last year for infringing 24 songs on Kazaa.

These are the parasites that went after a 12 year old girl.

The RIAA, which is the music industry's lobbying and litigation arm, fought hard to keep Jury Instruction No. 15 in play. The group told the judge that copyright infringement on peer-to-peer networks is implied, and that it shouldn't have to provide proof of an actual transfer (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/not-for-publica.html)-- because it's impossible.

So they actually don't have to provide proof before they extort thousands of dollars from people for a song worth jack and shit.

RIAA are bloodsucking parasites and I hope each and every one of their employees winds up bankrupt and out on the street.

lacarnut
02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
...you have to ask?

And it isn't good news...it's FANTASTIC news...could not have happened to a better set of people.

Karma's a bitch, aint it?

These are the parasites that went after a 12 year old girl.

So they actually don't have to provide proof before they extort thousands of dollars from people for a song worth jack and shit.

RIAA are bloodsucking parasites and I hope each and every one of their employees winds up bankrupt and out on the street.

I would have to vote for that.

megimoo
02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I have a hard time being happy when people, even those on the other end of the political or cultural structure from me, lose their jobs. It's really getting tough out there.
They're not 'People' they're a bunch Of New York Blood sucking patent Attorneys going after people who have purchased music on Cd's and telling them that they don't really 'own' their copy of the music but should
pay every time they play it on a different machine.They use extortion to bleed the victims dry and threaten little kids who listen to and copy each others music Cd's .You are damn right I feel nothing for these rats.They buy politicians and contribute to the Progressive cause to get what they want.
RIAA Fails to Pay Attorneys Fee Award; Debbie Foster Asks Court to Enter Judgment for Attorneys Fees
In Capitol v. Foster, where the Court has awarded defendant more than $68,000 in attorneys fees against the record companies, the plaintiffs have failed to pay the amount ordered, and Ms. Foster has asked the Court to enter judgment.
Judge Rejects 'Making Available' Defense, Orders Teen File Sharer to Pay RIAA $7,400

A federal judge is ordering a Texas college student to pay the Recording Industry Association of America $7,400 to settle copyright infringement allegations involving her use of the peer-to-peer file sharing network Kazaa when she was a juvenile.

The decision contradicts last month's mistrial ruling in the nation's only file sharing case to go to trial. The split outcomes underscore that, after five years of RIAA file sharing litigation and some 30,000 lawsuits, the level of proof necessary to demonstrate copyright infringement in the peer-to-peer context varies from judge to judge.
RIAA Settles With 12-Year-Old Downloader

"It looks like the RIAA has rushed to settle with 12-year-old Brianna LaHara, after serving her with a lawsuit on Monday. It looks like her single mother will be paying a $2,000 fine to the RIAA for her daughter's song-swapping, which they had thought was legal. Said Brianna: 'I am sorry for what I have done. I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love.' What a relief this must be for the Rolling Stones."