PDA

View Full Version : Soupmaking Sunday

linda22003
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
No, it's not a competing day thread. :)

It's just that on a grey and snowy Sunday, the urge hits to make soup, and I mean feed-the-troops amounts of soup. I took a couple of quarts of homemade chicken stock out of the freezer this morning and added:

2 onions, diced
4 ribs of celery, diced
2 small apples, diced
chopped carrots
chopped butternut squash
chopped sweet potato

I seasoned the vegetables as they sauteed with:
Salt
Pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Sweet Curry

It's bubbling away on the stove now, and in a bit I'll shut it off, let it cool down a bit, do a quick puree, and reheat.

Hub's gone out to the store for another stewing chicken; we're running low on stock!

Bubba Dawg
03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Sounds Great. I copied it and plan to make it.

I made quick and dirty potato soup today.

10 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
1/2 medium onion
2 carrots chopped

put in just enough water to cook these until tender. Leave the water you cooked the veggies in in the pot. Then add

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup whole milk

season with salt and pepper and celery seed. Eat with hearty bread and cheddar cheese.

linda22003
03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I've never made a soup with evaporated milk in it. I've also never made soup from scratch that had a can of prepared soup in it! :p

Now, after a long walk, I'm going back into the kitchen to replenish the chicken stock supply....

Bubba Dawg
03-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I've never made a soup with evaporated milk in it. I've also never made soup from scratch that had a can of prepared soup in it! :p

Now, after a long walk, I'm going back into the kitchen to replenish the chicken stock supply....

quick and dirty....that's me....:D:p

megimoo
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
A dark Cave. In the middle, a Caldron boiling. Thunder.

Enter the three Witches.

1 WITCH. Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
2 WITCH. Thrice and once, the hedge-pig whin'd.
3 WITCH. Harpier cries:'tis time! 'tis time!
1 WITCH. Round about the caldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
2 WITCH. Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
3 WITCH. Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingrediants of our caldron.
2 WITCH. Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

RobJohnson
03-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Sounds Great. I copied it and plan to make it.

I made quick and dirty potato soup today.

10 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
1/2 medium onion
2 carrots chopped

put in just enough water to cook these until tender. Leave the water you cooked the veggies in in the pot. Then add

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup whole milk

season with salt and pepper and celery seed. Eat with hearty bread and cheddar cheese.

Wow, that sounds good!

RobJohnson
03-03-2009, 01:00 AM

Apples are for pie, not soup!

linda22003
03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Apples are for pie, not soup!

It's pureed with the rest of the ingredients; it just adds a little sweetness to counteract the starchiness of the sweet potatoes.

djones520
03-05-2009, 05:08 AM
If your looking for a winter time soup, try this out.

Ingredients:
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 oz. ground pork
5 oz. bean sprouts, rinsed
4 oz. cabbage, chopped
2 oz. carrot, cut into thin strips
4 cups warm water
2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp miso paste
2 Chukamen (raw Chinese noodles)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
Preparation:
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or a wok. Add minced ginger and garlic in the skillet and saute pork on medium heat until done. Add carrot, bean sprouts, and cabbage in the skillet and saute together for a few minutes. Pour warm water in the skillet. Season with chicken bouillon powder, sugar, and soy sauce and bring the soup to a boil. Turn down the heat to low, and melt miso in the soup. Add sesame oil at last. Stop the heat. In the meantime, boil lots of water in a large pot. Put Chukamen noodles in the boiling water and cook for a few minutes, or boil noodles, following the package instruction. Drain the noodles and serve into two noodle bowls. Pour hot miso soup over the noodles with ingredients on top.
*Makes 2 servings

I haven't tried it out yet, but from my experience it seems pretty authentic, which means it'll be damn good eatin. Miso Ramen originated in Hokkaido which has some NASTY winters, and with my 7 years in Northern Japan, I could never find anything better to have when we had 4 feet of snow on the ground.

samurai
03-09-2009, 05:28 PM

I like to start with a can of Campbell's cream of chicken, celery or mushroom as a base, add twice the recommended amount of water and a bouillon cube (or just use chicken stock instead), and then add chopped celery, green onions, and mushrooms. It's a very fast, easy soup that tastes great!

If your looking for a winter time soup, try this out.

I haven't tried it out yet, but from my experience it seems pretty authentic, which means it'll be damn good eatin. Miso Ramen originated in Hokkaido which has some NASTY winters, and with my 7 years in Northern Japan, I could never find anything better to have when we had 4 feet of snow on the ground.

I lived in Japan myself, and IMO tori no zosui or hakata ramen (tonkotsu ramen) are better on a cold day!