PDA

View Full Version : Japanese emperor 'to visit Pearl Harbor'

megimoo
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
If realized, it would be the first visit by the royal couple to the spot where the Japanese bombardment of the US fleet heralded the declaration of war between the two countries.

Akihito is the son of war-time Emperor Hirohito, under whom the Japanese military carried out the December 1941 attack in Hawaii, which killed around 2500 people, mostly American soldiers.

The visit would be made on the way back to Japan from the couple's planned official trip to Canada this summer, Kyodo said.

Under the plan, the emperor and empress will "unofficially" stop over in Hawaii to meet with local Japanese-American groups and visit Pearl Harbor during a break, Kyodo said.

Lower house speaker Yohei Kono, widely known for his dovish policies, visited Pearl Harbor in December last year, making him the highest-ranking Japanese official to do so.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=758926

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=758926

CorwinK
03-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Why is this news?? Who cares if the son of the emperor that bombed Pearl is coming to visit? Bear in mind he was 7 or 8 when Pearl was bombed...not like he had much say in the matter yea or nay...why is this news again?

megimoo
03-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Why is this news?? Who cares if the son of the emperor that bombed Pearl is coming to visit? Bear in mind he was 7 or 8 when Pearl was bombed...not like he had much say in the matter yea or nay...why is this news again?
As it says in the article He is the son of Hirohito the Emperor of Japan who was the supreme ruled of Japan during the Japanese raid on that city .The first emperor to ever visit Hawaii I guess in some circles that's news .If your father or grandfather had fought or died at Pearl Harbor this would probably 'gall' you some !

CorwinK
03-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I suppose if you had a relative at Pearl...still...*shrugs* just an opinion

PoliCon
03-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Don't you get it? By going to the memorial at Pearl Harbor - the emperor is admitting the sins of his father. He is honouring those that died there that day.

Zathras
03-02-2009, 04:30 AM
I suppose if you had a relative at Pearl...still...*shrugs* just an opinion

I do, a great uncle, entombed aboard USS Arizona and the Emperor of Japan's visit doesn't bother me in the least.

samurai
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
As it says in the article He is the son of Hirohito the Emperor of Japan who was the supreme ruled of Japan during the Japanese raid on that city .The first emperor to ever visit Hawaii I guess in some circles that's news .If your father or grandfather had fought or died at Pearl Harbor this would probably 'gall' you some !

He's not coming to laugh or gloat or score political points, he's showing his respect. I'm glad he's visiting Pearl Harbor, and I hope his meetings will also foster better ties between the 2 countries.

noonwitch
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Isn't the emperor more of an honorary title, like the Queen of England, than a position of any real power? The prime minister and parliament actually run the country. The emperor is a diplomat, and it is a good thing for him to visit the memorial and pay tribute to the dead. I've never been to Hawaii, but I've seen pictures of the memorial (and, the Brady Bunch went there) and it is one of the cooler memorials ever built, the way it floats over the sunken ship.

My dad was about 7 or 8 when the japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He remembers it well, along with FDR's radio address about it. My 96 year old grandfather remembers it well, because he worked at Ford at the time. He was already working on war production, because of the lend/lease deal with Britain. He claims that his team could completely change over a car or truck factory to an airplane factory in one week.

PoliCon
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Isn't the emperor more of an honorary title, like the Queen of England, than a position of any real power? He is the head of state - as is Elizabeth which is different from the head of government which is what the Gordon Brown is.