PDA

View Full Version : Women More Religious Than Men

Gingersnap
03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Women More Religious Than Men

By Robert Roy Britt, Editorial Director

posted: 28 February 2009 10:18 am ET

A new analysis of survey data finds women pray more often then men, are more likely to believe in God, and are more religious than men in a variety of other ways.

The reasons, analysts say, could range from traditional mothering duties to the tendency of men to take risks in this case the chance they might not go to heaven.

The latest findings, released Friday, are no surprise, only confirming what other studies have found for decades. Still, the new numbers illustrate interesting and stark differences. They come from a fresh review of data that was collected in a 2007 survey and initially released last year by the Pew Research Center. The percent of women (and then men) who:

Are affiliated with a religion: 86 (79).
Have absolutely certain belief in a God or universal spirit: 77 (65).
Pray at least daily: 66 (49).
Have absolutely certain belief in a personal God: 58 (45).
The survey involved interviews with more than 35,000 U.S. adults by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

George H. Gallup, Jr., in an analysis for the Gallup polling organization back in 2002, wrote that the differences in religiosity between men and women have been shown consistently across the previous seven decades of polls.

"A mountain of Gallup survey data attests to the idea that women are more religious than men, hold their beliefs more firmly, practice their faith more consistently, and work more vigorously for the congregation," Gallup wrote.

Interesting. Much more at the link.

Livescience (http://www.livescience.com/culture/090227-religion-men-women.html)

linda22003
03-02-2009, 10:50 AM
It's been pretty standard for a long time. MOM always made you go to church, not DAD. :p

wilbur
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Waiting for the next study that says men pretend to be religious, spiritual, or otherwise hold the same superstitions as some woman in order to seal the deal.

It's pretty scary that being able to talk the lingo of astrology can really get you so much tail. ;)

lacarnut
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
It's been pretty standard for a long time. MOM always made you go to church, not DAD. :p

True dat!:)

linda22003
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
True dat!:)

She made dad go, too!

PoliCon
03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Humpf. I was the one who started going to church and I told my family that they couldn't come. ( I was a teen) That of course peaked their interest and got them coming too. :p

BUt the story is right - evangelism always starts with women - It's Biblical too. :) Christ first appeared to Mary Magdeline on Resurection Sunday before the apostles. He sent her and the other Mary's to tell the men the good news. Times haven't changed.

linda22003
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
The women like the champagne brunches, too.

lacarnut
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
She made dad go, too!

Dad had no choice especially since he had to pay for our fried chicken lunch at the Picadilly restaurant after church.:)

noonwitch
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
She made dad go, too!

Same in my house, although my dad has been going to church regularly for a few years, even before he remarried. He met wife #2 at church.

My dad was always the first one out of the church, too. He'd wait in the car while my mom made the social rounds with her friends (my brother and I used to call it the "hug tour" and avoid it at all costs, because her friends always wanted to hug us, too).