PDA

View Full Version : Bottled water uses 2000 times more energy than tap water

PoliCon
03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
March 1, 2009 New research from the Pacific Institute estimates that bottled water is up to 2000 times more energy-intensive than tap water. Similarly, bottled water that requires long-distance transport is far more energy-intensive than bottled water produced and distributed locally. Indeed, when all the sums were done, it seems the annual consumption of bottled water in the U.S. in 2007 required the equivalent of between 32 and 54 million barrels of oil—roughly one-third of a percent of total U.S. primary energy consumption.

The article, “Energy implications of bottled water” by researchers Peter H. Gleick and Heather Cooley, is the first peer-reviewed analysis of its kind and appears in the February 2009 edition of Environmental Research Letters.

“As bottled water use continues to expand around the world, there is growing interest in the environmental, economic, and social implications of that use, including concerns about waste generation, proper use of groundwater, hydrologic effects on local surface and groundwater, economic costs, and more. But a key concern is how much energy is required to produce and use bottled water,” said article co-author Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute. “It turns out the answer is, a lot.” CONTINUED (http://www.gizmag.com/bottled-water-uses-82322000-times-more-energy-than-tap8232-water/11123/)

Gingersnap
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I've never bought bottled water unless I needed it for a party or something. I always thought it was basically just a scam.

PoliCon
03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I've never bought bottled water unless I needed it for a party or something. I always thought it was basically just a scam.

given the high levels of bacteria and pollutants in some brands - it's worse than a scam! When I buy bottled water - I buy distilled. That being said - I made my boss get a water cooler here at work because the tap water in this building is disgusting. :D

lacarnut
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM
We have great tap water here. So, It's a rip off. MS River drinking water in New Orleans is a different story. The eco-weenies and starbuck crowd are not going to like those findings.

PoliCon
03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
We have great tap water here. So, It's a rip off. MS River drinking water in New Orleans is a different story. The eco-weenies and starbuck crowd are not going to like those findings.

they don't care about the reality - all they care about is the appearance and assumption that they are doing good.

lacarnut
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
You are right. My bad.

biccat
03-02-2009, 04:15 PM
But how can you impress your snooty liberal friends with something so common as tap water?

lacarnut
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
But how can you impress your snooty liberal friends with something so common as tap water?

It is a mystery to me:) I guess an empty starbucks java cup might impress.

PoliCon
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
It is a mystery to me:) I guess an empty starbucks java cup might impress.

I have to fight the urge not to hit people with Starbucks cups. :mad:

lacarnut
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM

I have that same urge too. One good thing is that a bunch of them have closed up because of the economy.

Celtic Rose
03-02-2009, 10:25 PM

You hit me, and I'll have to hit you back :p Mind you, I only have Starbucks when I meet someone there, or when I go to Safeway to go shopping and I'm completely exhausted. ;)

PoliCon
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
You hit me, and I'll have to hit you back :p Mind you, I only have Starbucks when I meet someone there, or when I go to Safeway to go shopping and I'm completely exhausted. ;)

fighting the urge means - I'm NOT DOING IT! I JUST WANT TO REALLY REALLY BADLY!! :p