PDA

View Full Version : Japan's boffins: Global warming isn't man-made

PoliCon
03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Climate science is 'ancient astrology', claims report

By Andrew Orlowski • Get more from this author

Posted in Environment, 25th February 2009 12:23 GMT

Exclusive Japanese scientists have made a dramatic break with the UN and Western-backed hypothesis of climate change in a new report from its Energy Commission.

Three of the five researchers disagree with the UN's IPCC view that recent warming is primarily the consequence of man-made industrial emissions of greenhouse gases. Remarkably, the subtle and nuanced language typical in such reports has been set aside.

One of the five contributors compares computer climate modelling to ancient astrology. Others castigate the paucity of the US ground temperature data set used to support the hypothesis, and declare that the unambiguous warming trend from the mid-part of the 20th Century has ceased.

The report by Japan Society of Energy and Resources (JSER) is astonishing rebuke to international pressure, and a vote of confidence in Japan's native marine and astronomical research. Publicly-funded science in the West uniformly backs the hypothesis that industrial influence is primarily responsible for climate change, although fissures have appeared recently. Only one of the five top Japanese scientists commissioned here concurs with the man-made global warming hypothesis.

JSER is the academic society representing scientists from the energy and resource fields, and acts as a government advisory panel. The report appeared last month but has received curiously little attention. So The Register commissioned a translation of the document - the first to appear in the West in any form. Below you'll find some of the key findings - but first, a summary.
Summary

Three of the five leading scientists contend that recent climate change is driven by natural cycles, not human industrial activity, as political activists argue.

CONTINUED (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/jstor_climate_report_translation/)

PoliCon
03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
climate change comarable to astrology. I like it.

palerider
03-14-2009, 03:43 PM
climate change comarable to astrology. I like it.

For a very long time I have argued that the scientists today who espouse anthropogenic causes for climate chage are analogous to the high priests of old who knew how to predict an eclipse, or knew what signs to look for for a good or bad flood. They use easily predictable cycles in order to awe the uneducated for the same purpose as the priests of old. Political power.

It is obvious that the earth is in a general warming trend. It began some 14,000 years ago and has resulted in the glaciers melting back some 2,000 miles. Along the way it has gotten warmer and then cooler and warmer and cooler but the overall trend, as evidenced by the continuing retreat of the glaciers has been warmer. What exactly, is surprising about the fact that it continues to warm and cool and warm and cool with a general trend to warm? If one knows anything at all about paleohistory, one can predict that the warming cooling trend will continue leaning towards warm with perhaps another interglacial period or two until at last, all the ice is gone from both poles at which time the present ice age will be over and the mean global temperature will level out at about 21 degrees C for a nice long time until some tipping point is reached at which time the cycles will begin again leaning towards cooler and the earth will enter another ice age.

If I had only known that there were enough uneducated, gullible folks out there scattered across the world that I could trick into believing that I knew something that most didn't, I could be richer than Bill Gates today. I guess I missed the boat on that 600 billion dollars.

hazlnut
03-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Climate science is 'ancient astrology', claims report

By Andrew Orlowski • Get more from this author

Posted in Environment, 25th February 2009 12:23 GMT

Exclusive Japanese scientists have made a dramatic break with the UN and Western-backed hypothesis of climate change in a new report from its Energy Commission.

Three of the five researchers disagree with the UN's IPCC view that recent warming is primarily the consequence of man-made industrial emissions of greenhouse gases. Remarkably, the subtle and nuanced language typical in such reports has been set aside.

One of the five contributors compares computer climate modelling to ancient astrology. Others castigate the paucity of the US ground temperature data set used to support the hypothesis, and declare that the unambiguous warming trend from the mid-part of the 20th Century has ceased.

The report by Japan Society of Energy and Resources (JSER) is astonishing rebuke to international pressure, and a vote of confidence in Japan's native marine and astronomical research. Publicly-funded science in the West uniformly backs the hypothesis that industrial influence is primarily responsible for climate change, although fissures have appeared recently. Only one of the five top Japanese scientists commissioned here concurs with the man-made global warming hypothesis.

JSER is the academic society representing scientists from the energy and resource fields, and acts as a government advisory panel. The report appeared last month but has received curiously little attention. So The Register commissioned a translation of the document - the first to appear in the West in any form. Below you'll find some of the key findings - but first, a summary.
Summary

Three of the five leading scientists contend that recent climate change is driven by natural cycles, not human industrial activity, as political activists argue.

CONTINUED (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/jstor_climate_report_translation/)

UPDATE: From Kiminori Itoh, Prof., Yokohama National University.

Hi everybody!
I am one of the five who participated to the article in the JSER journal, which may have seemed to you as a mystery from Japan. At first, I thank you for picking up our activity in Japan. I am a regular reader of several climate blog sites, and had been making some contributions mainly to Climate Science of Prof. Pielke. Actually, the information I gave in the article largely owes the invaluable information shown at this site WUWT as well as Climate Science and Climate Audit. Thus, I felt I should explain a bit about the article of JSER because, unfortunately, it is written in Japanese although it has partly been translated into English.

Some readers of WUWT might remember my name; I had written a guest blog in Climate Science several months ago, when Roger kindly suggested me to introduce my new book “Lies and Traps in Global Warming Affairs.” Yes, I am regarded as one of the most hard-core AGW skeptics in Japan, although I myself regard me as a realist in this issue.

The article of JSER has been composed of discussions between the five contributors, made through e-mail for several months, and was organized by Prof. Yoshida of Kyoto University (an editor of the JSER journal). Our purpose was to invoke healthy discussions on the global warming issue in Japan. The JSER journal was selected as a platform for this discussion just because Prof. Yoshida has a personal interest in this issue and he is an editor of the journal.

Thus, it is not correct if one thinks that the discussion represents the opinion of the journal’s editors or of the society JSER. In fact, none of the five contributors belong to the JSER, and Prof. Yoshida kept his attitude neutral in the article.

All the contributors are well-established researchers in different fields and each has characteristic personal opinions on the AGW issue. Only one (Dr. Emori, National Institute of Environmental Sciences, Japan) represents IPCC. Other members are more or less skeptical of the conclusions of IPCC. For instance, as translated into English, Dr. Kusano made a severe critique on climate models; he himself is a cloud-modeler, so that his critique seems plausible. Prof. Akasofu is well known as an aurora physicist, Prof. Maruyama is famous for his ideas in geophysics, and I myself have sufficient academic record in environmental physical chemistry (more than 160 peer review papers).

We know that our try this time is small one, and its impact has a limitation especially due to language problem. Nevertheless, we believe that the discussion was useful and informative for everyone interested in the controversies associated with the AGW issue. In March, another article will come also in the JSER journal because the discussion received much interest from the readers of the journal.

Any comments and opinions are welcome and very helpful for us.

Thank you again.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/02/25/japans-society-of-energy-and-resources-disses-the-ipcc-says-recent-climate-change-is-driven-by-natural-cycles-not-human-industrial-activity/

So, 5 people had a talk and disagreed. No one did new research. No one collected new data. Interesting though not relevant. Also, the way it's being reported..."Japan now says..."
Give me a break...

PoliCon
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
and? They want to discuss the issue. You guys insist that all discussion is over and everyone is in agreement that man made global warming is real and we're all going to drown when the sea levels rise . . . . .

marinejcksn
03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Funny this article still calls it "Global Warming", most believers now say "Climate Change" since the fact that the Earth started cooling 10 years ago is kinda hard to disprove now...:o

Anyone else sorta think maybe that big 'ol light bulb up in the sky has SOMETHING to do with the warmth of the planet? Nah, who am I kidding? I'm not a "scientist". :rolleyes:

EricMartin
03-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Anyone else sorta think maybe that big 'ol light bulb up in the sky has SOMETHING to do with the warmth of the planet? Nah, who am I kidding? I'm not a "scientist". :rolleyes:

Didn't you know that science is the language of politicians, and the profession of celebrities? The so-called "actual scientists" are a thing of the past -- this is the progressive era. Get with the program.